Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 63

Thread: #Treason

  1. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    I'm so glad you find treason funny. It'll help with your insanity defence at the trials.
    Can't be treason, bucko. It's literally not possible. It can be other fucked up and/or stupid shit, but not treason.

 

  • #47
    And that article is short sighted Kzach. It doesn't look at the bigger picture. Our own Democrats and Republicans put out at least 100x, probably closer to 1000x more of the same shit that the Russians did, and that didn't do a whole heck of a lot, either. Most people make up their minds very early and don't let reality or fake news sway them.

  • #48
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,396

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    I'm so glad you find treason funny. It'll help with your insanity defence at the trials.
    Funny. That's an opinion piece...written BY a Russian.
    I like hats.

  • #49
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #50
    self admitted prolifer kirinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    7,515

    Ignore User
    It also has no chance of moving forward. They're the wingnuts the other wingnuts don't want to have anything to do with. It's more or less a distraction. Just like stripping the security clearances and the Iran tweet were.

    I mean Cohen is flipping, Rudy is being stupid, tapes detailing how Trumpy was breaking campaign finance laws are now in the open, the Russian summit was a bust, Korea was a bust, the tarrifs were a bust, the immigration thing was a huge bust, and he's being sued on emoluments. Not to mention the trouble with the EPA, the education department, ICE etc. Trumpy is having a bad, bad month. Sad. Bigly.

    Of course they're trying to kick up dirt to deflect from all that.

    Also, the reason why it's not going to go anywhere? Elections are coming up. There is no way either the Republicans or the Democrats are going to rile/inflame the other side's base with an impeachment of their favorite boys. Also, if they do move to impeach Rod Rosenstein, Trump is done. Plus they don't have the votes. Even if they did, the slightly saner/smarter heads will kill the motion for the above reasons.

    American politics are complicated that way.
    Last edited by kirinke; July 26th, 2018 at 02:34 AM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

    I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

  • #51
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    It also has no chance of moving forward. They're the wingnuts the other wingnuts don't want to have anything to do with. It's more or less a distraction. Just like stripping the security clearances and the Iran tweet were.

    I mean Cohen is flipping, Rudy is being stupid, tapes detailing how Trumpy was breaking campaign finance laws are now in the open, the Russian summit was a bust, Korea was a bust, the tarrifs were a bust and he's being sued on emoluments. Not to mention the trouble with the EPA, the education department etc.

    Of course they're trying to kick up dirt to deflect from all that.
    Everything I've heard so far about the tapes doesn't say one way or the other if finance laws were violated. Has anything come out about him using campaign money to pay it?

  • #52
    self admitted prolifer kirinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    7,515

    Ignore User
    It's complicated. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-money/566030/ I'm not going to repost everything, but here's the gist:

    The recording marks a startling new chapter in the mystery surrounding Trump, Cohen, and payoffs made in the closing days of the 2016 campaign. As November approached, Cohen paid $130,000 to the adult film actress Stormy Daniels to keep quiet about an affair she had with Trump. That August, AMI, which owns the National Enquirer, bought the rights to McDougal’s story of an affair with Trump for a similar amount, $150,000, but never published any stories on the subject. Federal investigators are reportedly looking into whether these payments constituted campaign-finance violations—cash spent on Trump’s behalf to prevent damaging information about him from leaking out, but without being properly disclosed. Trump’s spokespeople have denied that he knew about the AMI payment until just before the election, a denial clearly contradicted by the new recording, which is from September 2016. They have continued to deny any legal wrongdoing, and that the president has engaged in extramarital affairs.

    The recording also raises the question of whether Trump Organization funds were used to make illegal campaign contributions. During the conversation, Cohen is heard telling Trump that he spoke to “Allen” about the payments, an apparent reference to Allen Weisselberg, the Trump Organization’s chief financial officer, who has also handled aspects of the president’s personal finances and served as the treasurer of his foundation.

    “It would be a reporting violation if Trump used his own funds for such a payment, and both a reporting violation and a prohibited corporate contribution if Trump Organization funds were used,” Brendan Fischer with the Campaign Legal Center said in an email. “The evidence suggests there wasn’t always a clear distinction between Trump’s personal funds and Trump Organization funds (or Trump Foundation funds, for that matter).”

    As a media organization, AMI benefits from an exemption in campaign-finance law, which states that an “expenditure” does not include any news story “distributed” through a publication by a press entity acting in its “legitimate press function.” If AMI purchased the McDougal story and simply decided not to run it, it would be exercising its judgment as a journalistic organization and there would be nothing untoward about it. If it purchased the story without intending to run it, however, it might not be subject to that exemption.

    “AMI would probably not be acting in its ‘legitimate press function’ if the purpose of the payment was to keep the McDougal story from going public,” Fischer said. “Preventing the public from learning about newsworthy information is contrary to the role of the press, and generally should not be protected by the press exemption.”

    The legal implications for Trump and AMI hinge on their intentions, which can be hard to prove absent direct evidence.

    “A lot turns on Trump’s motivation for discussing a payment to AMI. Was the purpose to reimburse AMI for purchasing McDougal’s story as a favor to Trump? If so, that’s unhelpful to AMI and Trump,” said Bruce Green, a law professor at Fordham University and a former federal prosecutor. “On the other hand, if Trump did not know that AMI bought the story to help him and his campaign by taking it out of circulation, and he was worried that AMI might publish the story, that may tend to exculpate AMI. And, on that version, Trump is off the hook because he never made the purchase.”

    In the past, Trump’s legal representatives have suggested that the payments made by Cohen were in fact intended to protect Trump’s presidential campaign. Trump has previously said that Cohen was paid “a retainer” to “stop the false and extortionist accusations” made by Daniels, and tweeted that “money from the campaign, or campaign contributions, played no roll in this transaction.” Giuliani, Trump’s attorney, has undercut that explanation in media appearances. “Imagine if that came out on October 15, 2016, in the middle of the last debate with Hillary Clinton,” Giuliani said on Fox News in May. “Cohen didn’t even ask. He made it go away. He did his job.”

    *****

    So more or less, the tapes could prove violations on Trump's part. Considering his and Rudy's reactions, it's a pretty sure bet that's the case. Yes, it's an assumption on my part, but considering who we're talking about? It's not a huge stretch.
    Last edited by kirinke; July 26th, 2018 at 02:44 AM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

    I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

  • #53
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    It's complicated. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-money/566030/ I'm not going to repost everything, but here's the gist:

    The recording marks a startling new chapter in the mystery surrounding Trump, Cohen, and payoffs made in the closing days of the 2016 campaign. As November approached, Cohen paid $130,000 to the adult film actress Stormy Daniels to keep quiet about an affair she had with Trump. That August, AMI, which owns the National Enquirer, bought the rights to McDougal’s story of an affair with Trump for a similar amount, $150,000, but never published any stories on the subject. Federal investigators are reportedly looking into whether these payments constituted campaign-finance violations—cash spent on Trump’s behalf to prevent damaging information about him from leaking out, but without being properly disclosed. Trump’s spokespeople have denied that he knew about the AMI payment until just before the election, a denial clearly contradicted by the new recording, which is from September 2016. They have continued to deny any legal wrongdoing, and that the president has engaged in extramarital affairs.

    The recording also raises the question of whether Trump Organization funds were used to make illegal campaign contributions. During the conversation, Cohen is heard telling Trump that he spoke to “Allen” about the payments, an apparent reference to Allen Weisselberg, the Trump Organization’s chief financial officer, who has also handled aspects of the president’s personal finances and served as the treasurer of his foundation.

    “It would be a reporting violation if Trump used his own funds for such a payment, and both a reporting violation and a prohibited corporate contribution if Trump Organization funds were used,” Brendan Fischer with the Campaign Legal Center said in an email. “The evidence suggests there wasn’t always a clear distinction between Trump’s personal funds and Trump Organization funds (or Trump Foundation funds, for that matter).”

    As a media organization, AMI benefits from an exemption in campaign-finance law, which states that an “expenditure” does not include any news story “distributed” through a publication by a press entity acting in its “legitimate press function.” If AMI purchased the McDougal story and simply decided not to run it, it would be exercising its judgment as a journalistic organization and there would be nothing untoward about it. If it purchased the story without intending to run it, however, it might not be subject to that exemption.

    “AMI would probably not be acting in its ‘legitimate press function’ if the purpose of the payment was to keep the McDougal story from going public,” Fischer said. “Preventing the public from learning about newsworthy information is contrary to the role of the press, and generally should not be protected by the press exemption.”

    The legal implications for Trump and AMI hinge on their intentions, which can be hard to prove absent direct evidence.

    “A lot turns on Trump’s motivation for discussing a payment to AMI. Was the purpose to reimburse AMI for purchasing McDougal’s story as a favor to Trump? If so, that’s unhelpful to AMI and Trump,” said Bruce Green, a law professor at Fordham University and a former federal prosecutor. “On the other hand, if Trump did not know that AMI bought the story to help him and his campaign by taking it out of circulation, and he was worried that AMI might publish the story, that may tend to exculpate AMI. And, on that version, Trump is off the hook because he never made the purchase.”

    In the past, Trump’s legal representatives have suggested that the payments made by Cohen were in fact intended to protect Trump’s presidential campaign. Trump has previously said that Cohen was paid “a retainer” to “stop the false and extortionist accusations” made by Daniels, and tweeted that “money from the campaign, or campaign contributions, played no roll in this transaction.” Giuliani, Trump’s attorney, has undercut that explanation in media appearances. “Imagine if that came out on October 15, 2016, in the middle of the last debate with Hillary Clinton,” Giuliani said on Fox News in May. “Cohen didn’t even ask. He made it go away. He did his job.”

    *****

    So more or less, the tapes could prove violations on Trump's part. Considering his and Rudy's reactions, it's a pretty sure bet that's the case. Yes, it's an assumption on my part, but considering who we're talking about? It's not a huge stretch.
    Thanks! That clears a lot up. The only thing I will add is that I heard on the radio(so no idea if true or not) that the tapes record him saying that he didn't want his wife to find out about it, which would give him a motive other than the campaign.

  • #54
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,498

    Ignore User
    Gods, the only thing I am even remotely hoping for in this whole shebang is that whatever pre-nup he has is now somehow breached and that Melania can absolutely take him to the fucking cleaners, because I'm sure he'd find some way to lawyer/weasel his way out of any legal repercussions about personal vs. campaign financing otherwise. Having him get punched right in the junk financially by not only someone who's been under his thumb for years, but a woman no less would be poetic justice of the finest sort.
    Last edited by Palaralae; July 26th, 2018 at 08:37 AM.
    "I'll tell you something," he said, as if he had said nothing that day. "You're walking on gallows ground, and there's a rope around your neck and a raven-bird on each shoulder waiting for your eyes, and the gallows tree has deep roots, for it stretches from heaven to hell, and our world is only the branch from which the rope is swinging."

  • #55
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    The Flow
    Oratio
    29,860

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Having him get punched right in the junk financially by not only someone who's been under his thumb for years, but a woman no less would be poetic justice of the finest sort.
    You really think she's been 'under his thumb'?

    "Don't tell my wife" isn't something an alpha male says, it's what beta-cucks who are afraid of what their wife will do them say.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

  • #56
    self admitted prolifer kirinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    7,515

    Ignore User
    I would love Melania to be the first, First Lady to leave a President while in he's still in office.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

    I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

  • #57
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    The Flow
    Oratio
    29,860

    Ignore User
    Farside, I can say with a lot of confidence, "You have no clue where I spend my time".
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

  • #58
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,498

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    You really think she's been 'under his thumb'?

    "Don't tell my wife" isn't something an alpha male says, it's what beta-cucks who are afraid of what their wife will do them say.
    Or what someone who has two brain cells to rub together and can clearly see how that particular divorce-court proceedings will obviously swing also tend to say.

    I do think she's under his thumb, but I am not sure why. The bits I've seen of their body-language between them in public are....odd. There's something weird going on there, but I just don't know what.
    "I'll tell you something," he said, as if he had said nothing that day. "You're walking on gallows ground, and there's a rope around your neck and a raven-bird on each shoulder waiting for your eyes, and the gallows tree has deep roots, for it stretches from heaven to hell, and our world is only the branch from which the rope is swinging."

  • #59
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    The Flow
    Oratio
    29,860

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Or what someone who has two brain cells to rub together and can clearly see how that particular divorce-court proceedings will obviously swing also tend to say.
    I have no doubt there is a prenup.

    More than likely if he was actually worried about it, it was on the "She'll make a stink over it and then I don't get to be President and put my dick-stamp on the White House!"

    I do think she's under his thumb, but I am not sure why. The bits I've seen of their body-language between them in public are....odd. There's something weird going on there, but I just don't know what.
    I'll accept that. I've literally zero attention to their public appearances.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

  • #60
    %0 correct Scarbonac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio
    4,693

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    I do think she's under his thumb, but I am not sure why. The bits I've seen of their body-language between them in public are....odd. There's something weird going on there, but I just don't know what.
    He has a SEAL kill-squad living with he family in case she gets ideas about spilling her guts to Mueller?

  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •