Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unpremediated July Cognition

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Hey, anybody who has a pet understands, at least to some degree anyway.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    I went to petsmart yesterday for catfood and litter and there was this lady with a Chihuahua puppy.
    I told the kid in a very soft voice not to do that, because the puppy was scared and messing with scared puppies like that, well the dog might bite you.
    Especially since it was a fucking Chihuahua*. There must be some species-blanket memory in their DNA that remembers "hey, we were initially bred purely for human consumption, let's return the favor at any opportunity", or something. I've met only one Chihuahua that I liked, all the other ones struck me as suited primarily for hors d'ouevres.

Lord... Kids are not smart.
    That, and ignorance of knowing how to act around animals. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've had a sheep, goat or one of my minis on a lead for some public function and had kid(s) come suddenly yelling and running up to us at full speed, head-on. That is about the singular WORST thing you can do to a flight-driven prey species. Second worse is letting your damn wholly-livestock-ignorant dog come trotting up to investigate one of my Shetlands, even AFTER I've seen them coming from a distance and called out to the owner, "Please keep your dog away." Sigrid has gone after and butted more than one dog. She does not take any shit.

*breed most likely to bite, surpassing pit bulls and other "aggressive" dog breeds.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Every endless form most beautiful
    Alive, aware, in awe
    Before the grandeur of it all
    Our floating pale blue ark
    Of endless forms most beautiful

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well it's not their fault. Think of it from their perspective. Chihuahuas are small dogs, hell most of them aren't bigger than your foot. To them, almost everything is a Kaiju sized monster at best with Cthulu dispositions. Sure, some of them might be nice, but the rest of them are loud, obnoxious, smelly things that want to do stuff to you or eat you for lunch and you aren't sure which ones are nice.

So yeah, their aggressiveness is perfectly understandable when you look at the situation from their perspective. It's not even really aggressiveness when they bite or attack in that kind of situation, it's shit in your pants fear and they think you're gonna kill em.

Now proper socialization and training can help with this, but yeah. It had the potential to be a train wreck. Well, a toy train wreck, but still. Not good at all.
    Last edited by kirinke; July 12th, 2018 at 02:43 AM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Bit of a nice surprise and a fun time yesterday. One of the SCA ladies who knows me gave my info to the Spokane handweaver's guild when she found out they were looking for someone who was knowledgeable and had experience in growing & processing flax into linen, so the guild set up a day for me to come out and teach/demo. They had some people who had grown and retted their flax, and a few people had a couple of the tools needed for the multiple processes, and I brought some of my 'toys' as well. They ended up not having a flax break, which is needed for the first step of the process, but sort of went all Primitive Girl and hunted around for the right brick and piece of board, and ended up showing how to break the flax anyhow. One lady was convinced the stuff she had grown wasn't any good and she wouldn't get any spinnable fiber, but I surprised her in processing a good-sized handful all the way from dried & retted to ready-to-spin fiber, which seemed to put her over the moon.

Everybody seemed to really like my presentation and presenting style, and the one lady who organized it had asked me if I required a fee for teaching. I said no, that I've always felt knowledge should be free and these skills need to be preserved and widely taught so they're not lost, but if maybe a couple people wanted to throw a few bucks in gas money my way, I certainly wouldn't refuse (it's ~2 hrs to Spokane from my place each way). She gave me a check from the guild in an envelope, which I just tucked into one of my book and didn't open it until I got home. I was expecting maybe 40 or 50 bucks for gas, if I was lucky.

In the envelope was a check for $130.

And they sounded interested in having me back to do a silk-reeling demo in the future.

And when I got home, a totally different and unrelated lady had sent me a message wanting me to teach a lampworking class in maybe another month or so.

Geesh. I never thought I'd be being requested to teach outside of SCA type stuff, but....wow. Can't say I mind, though I'm a little stunned.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Alive, aware, in awe

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Alot of people are interested in old techniques, even outside of the SCA, if nothing else as a relaxing hobby. Too many people nowadays think it can always be improved with technology, when sometimes that tech just makes it more complicated, not better.

Cars, I'm looking at you.

Things need to make sense. COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Advocatus Diaboli's Avatar
    Province
    San Antonio, TX
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    And when I got home, a totally different and unrelated lady had sent me a message wanting me to teach a lampworking class in maybe another month or so.
    R U A Pelican?
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Geesh. I never thought I'd be being requested to teach outside of SCA type stuff, but....wow. Can't say I mind, though I'm a little stunned.
    The end times are coming. People getting ready for the apocalypse.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    The end times are coming. People getting ready for the apocalypse.
    Riiight..... And according to the Mayan Calender will end in 2012. Set yer watches!

Damnit. Six years too late. World is still spinning right along.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    R U A Pelican?
    ...no?

Did you mean a Laurel? That's the peerage with the Arts & Sciences focus, Pelican is service. Though I guess you could view teaching as both a "service" and an A&S thing; I kind of do, but I don't know if others really do.

I'm actually kind of taking a bit of a break from most SCA stuff (especially events) for a while. I'm tired of the cliques, and the Cool Kids Club, and feeling like I don't quite really integrally fit in except as a sort of "surface" sort of thing, like I am mainly seen as a person convenient for Making Stuff and willing to come and teach classes for events, but not really much beyond that, if that makes any sort of sense. Iunno. It's weird. I'm shifting my focus to Wasteland stuff and going to buy my ticket when I get paid at the end of the month.

Eeeek. That really sort of commits me to going, doesn't it? It's kind of boggling.

The Mojave. I am not a desert person.

Scorpions. I've never seen one. I have a handheld blacklight in my Amazon cart, just waiting to check out. I'mma be prepared.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Alive, aware, in awe

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My parent's place are lousy with them and they live on the coast. Found one hanging on the guest bedroom wall. Brr. I smashed it.

Things need to make sense. COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Advocatus Diaboli's Avatar
    Province
    San Antonio, TX
    Oratio

Ignore User
    ...no?

Did you mean a Laurel? That's the peerage with the Arts & Sciences focus, Pelican is service.
    Ah, right. SCA was about 30 years ago, for me. Got my wires crossed. My daughter and her boyfriend are in it now.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Did anybody have a happy Friday the 13th?

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My parent's place are lousy with them and they live on the coast. Found one hanging on the guest bedroom wall. Brr. I smashed it.
    Ugh, I was getting the impression they couldn't climb fairly smooth surfaces. For my campsite I am planning to sleep in the bed of my truck under the camper shell, and am making a canvas flap/door (with a screened hole for ventilation, and cover to keep the dust out) that is velcroed to the back and sort of tents down to the open tailgate. Then I have some cool old green canvas tarps (that are already halfway 'wasted') that I am going to support with my 2x2s (from my medieval dayshade) and have tied to my roofrack for a dayshade. I've set it up a couple times already for proof-of-concept and it seems to work. I was even able to creatively clip up some bedsheets to have a little private area to change clothes, wash, use my own toilet, etc.

It occurred to me when putting up the canvas and the bedsheets that I probably ought to keep the cloth edges a good 6" or so off the ground, because if I didn't, in my experience with Small Stinging Creatures, it seems like it would be just my luck that I'd have a scorpion crawl up somewhere on the cloth and fall onto me and sting me. I think I'll be relatively safe from them climbing up my truck to get into my sleeping area, but I'm still getting that blacklight and scanning everything before I bed down. I've been told by a fellow SCA & Wasteland friend who used to be up here and moved down to Arizona (and I'm going to camp with) that the rule of thumb is the smaller the pincers, the more dangerous the venom and oftentimes the more aggressive they can be. He said it's like the little ones have "little dog syndrome" and something to prove.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Alive, aware, in awe

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My parents walls are textured to some degree, but yeah, scorpions can climb just about anything except for stuff like glass. Also, check your shoes and other dark, comfy places. Critters like to hide in them, not just scorpions. You're a country girl, so you know what I'm talking about.

Don't forget about snakes when using the toilet.
    Last edited by kirinke; July 17th, 2018 at 12:50 PM.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My parents walls are textured to some degree, but yeah, scorpions can climb just about anything except for stuff like glass. Also, check your shoes and other dark, comfy places. Critters like to hide in them, not just scorpions. You're a country girl, so you know what I'm talking about.

Don't forget about snakes when using the toilet.
    Huh. Good to know that about the scorpions. And yeah, I've heard you leave your boots upside down and shake them out before putting them on.

They'll have biffs for toilets there, but I'm also bringing my own (BE PREPARED!), which has proved useful on other eventing trips. I get one of those Home Depot 5-gal buckets with the lid, and put in the bottom a couple inches of the Feline Pine pelleted-sawdust litter we use at home for the cat boxes. Not only do I not wanna know what a biff in the Mojave at the end of September smells like (having known what one smells like in the heat of Eastern Washington in July), it's also very convenient to have your own and be closer than the typical 2 a.m. pee hike.

Although I have heard there are many and varied sorts of shenanigans pulled by the various tribes, concerning the biffs and people in them, so...there's that, too.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Alive, aware, in awe

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast