Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    What?

Well, that got presidential fast...
    Oh. Right.

Biffies. Biffs. Loos.

PORTOPOTTIES.

One "hits the biff" if you're going to go visit one to do necessary things.
    News I bring;
    Bells the stag, winter snow
    Summer is past
    Wind high and cold
    Low the sun, short its course
    Seas run strong;
    The russet bracken its shape is lost
    Wild goose raises wanton cry
    Cold lays hold on wings of bird
    Time of ice
    This I heard.

-9th c. Irish

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Lol. I swear there is nothing more refreshing after a hot day than a cold shower or a swim. Heh. On the opposite side, on a cold, miserable day, there isn't anything more refreshing than a hot shower. Whomever invented modern plumbing should be turned into a saint.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Whomever invented modern plumbing should be turned into a saint.
    Depends on how "modern" you're thinking, I suppose. Some fairly advanced Bronze-Age societies had running water (aqueducts & piped water) of a sort, as well as a primitive indoor flush toilet. Off the cuff I want to say Minoan? Crete? Somewhere out that way, and I think one of the main islands got blown up by a volcano (not Vesuvius).

You can also cool water by cistern usage, and on a small scale by keeping it in earthenware vessels, utilizing the evaporative process to cool it. Things you learn via "experimental archaeology".
    News I bring;
    Summer is past
    Wind high and cold
    Seas run strong;
    Time of ice
    This I heard.

-9th c. Irish

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    One "hits the biff" if you're going to go visit one to do necessary things.
    Hitting the Biff, taking a Trump... okay, makes sense.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Things need to make sense. COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Advocatus Diaboli's Avatar
    Province
    San Antonio, TX
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Algoleiman View Post
    Did anybody have a happy Friday the 13th?
    On the one hand, it was my 31st wedding anniversary, as well as payday. On the other hand, the first half of the day was largely taken up by me getting an endoscopy, followed by "breakfast" sometime between noon and 1pm. Kind if threw off the rest of the day in terms of scheduling (lunch at 5pm, dinner around 10pm, etc.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The volcanic thing I was mentioning about Minoan civilization that had pretty advanced (for Bronze Age) indoor plumbing was the Thera eruption that obliterated Akrotiri. It kept bugging me until I did some searching, because I kept thinking "Themis? No...I think that's a Muse. Thelos? Thanos? No. Dammit."

Pretty amazing archaeological find, because rather like Vesuvius, there was a Veritable Fuckton of ash that preserved things remarkably well. And it was indeed an extremely large-scale volcanic event, impacting the vast majority of the planet and one of the largest volcanic events in the Earth's history.

Minoan plumbing couldn't stand up to that, tho.
    News I bring;
    Summer is past
    Wind high and cold
    Seas run strong;
    Time of ice
    This I heard.

-9th c. Irish

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    The volcanic thing I was mentioning about Minoan civilization that had pretty advanced (for Bronze Age) indoor plumbing was the Thera eruption that obliterated Akrotiri. It kept bugging me until I did some searching, because I kept thinking "Themis? No...I think that's a Muse. Thelos? Thanos? No. Dammit."

Pretty amazing archaeological find, because rather like Vesuvius, there was a Veritable Fuckton of ash that preserved things remarkably well. And it was indeed an extremely large-scale volcanic event, impacting the vast majority of the planet and one of the largest volcanic events in the Earth's history.

Minoan plumbing couldn't stand up to that, tho.
    Meh. It was a VEI of 6 or 7. Big, but not the biggest. Look up what 8+ have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Found this:
    https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the...ed-history.htm

The largest volcanic eruption in recorded history is that out Mount Tambora on Sumbawa island, Indonesia. Taking place on 10 April 1815, the eruption was so loud it sounded like a a gunshot to people on the island of Sumatra, 2,600 km (1,615 mi away). Only one larger eruption has occurred in the last three thousand years: that of Mt. Taupo, New Zealand in 181 CE. However, because no historians — in fact, no humans at all — were on New Zealand at the time, the largest volcanic eruption in history remains Mt. Tambora.

Signs of the eruption began when a dark cloud of ash formed over the mountain and the ground started to rumble. Several minor eruptions occurred over several days. Thousands watched the eruption unfold. At 7 PM on 10 April, three columns of flame "rose up and merged" and the mountain was turned into "liquid fire". About 100 km3 (38.6 mi3) of pyroclastic trachyandesite was ejected, enough to qualify as a 7 on the Volcanic Explosivity Index. All vegetation on the island was destroyed. 10,000 people were killed in the pyroclastic flows.

The eruption ejected enough ash into the upper atmosphere to block part of the light from the Sun for months on end. This caused 1816 to be called The Year Without a Summer, in which crops failed worldwide and at least 300,000 people starved or froze. On the plus side, the atmospheric dust from the volcanic explosion caused interesting optical effects, including the most spectacular sunsets in history.

The Year Without a Summer was harsh. Two huge snowstorms hit eastern Canada and New England dead in the middle of June. Nearly a foot of snow fell in Quebec City. As a result, the price of oats and other grains increased by about 700%. The event was called "the last great subsistence crisis in the Western world."

Although the explosion of Mt. Tambora was large, it is not the largest volcanic eruption in all of human history — just recorded history. The largest volcanic eruption in all human history is that of the former Mt. Toba. This was about 28 times larger than the 1815 eruption, and it is believed that the global human population may have been reduced to as few as 1,000 breeding pairs in the aftermath of the event.

The largest volcanic eruption in the history of the Earth were probably the series of eruptions 251 million years ago that created the Siberian Traps, a rock formation in what is now Russia. These eruptions lasted about a million years and released almost enough lava to cover the continent of Australia in a layer 1,000 m deep. This event resulted in the greatest mass extinction in Earth's history, during which 96 percent of all marine species and 70 percent of terrestrial vertebrates were wiped out.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123