Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it fascism yet?

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Seriously, an exercise for Trump supporters/apologists/Republicans: Can you name an instance where Trump has praised the governmental functions of a democracy? Best I can come up with off the top of my head is when he decided he wanted a military parade like the ones in France.
    While I am only marginally one of the three you mention, I'm going to go with... Who is Japan?
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    While I am only marginally one of the three you mention, I'm going to go with... Who is Japan?
    Has he praised anything about Japan itself, or just Abe? Trump seems to me to reduce international diplomacy to solely interpersonal relationships between him and the leader - so I've seen praise of Macron, or of Abe, but not so much of the things that their country does. I'm asking legitimately, not rhetorically; there may be some good examples I'm not thinking of.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Has he praised anything about Japan itself, or just Abe? Trump seems to me to reduce international diplomacy to solely interpersonal relationships between him and the leader - so I've seen praise of Macron, or of Abe, but not so much of the things that their country does. I'm asking legitimately, not rhetorically; there may be some good examples I'm not thinking of.
    I feel the earth, move, under my feet...I feel the goal post shifting...goal posts shifting....

On a more serious note, I'll link to this article where at least he praises the alliance:
    He also promised that both countries will "invest heavily" to build up their defensive capabilities, which Trump says will ultimately "be impenetrable."
    Don't know if that will fulfill your requirements, but it was a really quick google search...
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Every time something is being done that the left finds questionable, he tweets out something absurd, like making an exception for Christians on the travel ban, or getting rid of due process. He's playing you, bud. He gets you guys all lathered up over the ridiculous statements that he never even attempts to put into action, and the stuff that he's actually doing gets forgotten or moved to page 12.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It's actually an open question for arrest at the border or within 100 miles of the border. Going to the Supreme Court soon in fact. The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1946 established that undocumented aliens do not in fact have the same due process rights as a resident or citizen of the United States while at (or within 100 miles of) the border, and the Supreme Court is likely to comment on that soon.
    Last edited by Mistwell; June 25th, 2018 at 09:20 PM.
    I like hats.

Province
    Knoxville TN
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Without due process how do you determine who is and is not a citizen? Papers please...

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
    Without due process how do you determine who is and is not a citizen? Papers please...
    Yes. They ask you for your passport at the border. That's what a passport is for. You've been through the border, right? Some nations ask for a visa as well.
    Last edited by Mistwell; June 27th, 2018 at 04:21 AM.
    I like hats.

Province
    Knoxville TN
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    Yes. They ask you for your passport at the border. That's what a passport is for. You've been through the border, right? Some nations ask for a visa as well.
    There have already been multiple reports of American citizens of Hispanic descent being deported hundreds of miles from the border, usually caught up in Gestapo ICE raids. Like the "free" blacks of the 1840's soon all brown people will once again need to carry their papers to protect their rights. Even that won't work if Trump is allowed to suspend due process as he desires.

Hence my snark about papers please. In a free and open society citizens aren't required to carry their papers and have them checked constantly to prove citizenship. But free and open societies are enemy concepts to the Regressive party it would seem.
    Last edited by Spoony; July 3rd, 2018 at 01:54 PM.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
    In a free and open society citizens aren't required to carry their papers and have them checked constantly to prove citizenship.
    We don't live in an 'open' society. I've always had to carry my 'papers'*. What kind of crazy bs are you on?

* It's called a state ID or driver's licence. Used for everything from buying regulated luxuries to proving your identity when stopped by the police.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    We don't live in an 'open' society. I've always had to carry my 'papers'*. What kind of crazy bs are you on?

* It's called a state ID or driver's licence. Used for everything from buying regulated luxuries to proving your identity when stopped by the police.
    In many states, you aren't required to show your ID if you haven't done anything. You're not even required to tell them your name. It's a state by state thing. And for Florida, specifically, here is something about your state's stop and frisk law.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphersmith View Post
    In many states, you aren't required to show your ID if you haven't done anything. You're not even required to tell them your name. It's a state by state thing. And for Florida, specifically, here is something about your state's stop and frisk law.
    Realistically, those no-ID laws dont have much force in the moment, and exercising them while poor will net you whatever misdemeanor the officers can throw at you. I believe you will find that the statute is generally ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphersmith View Post
    In many states, you aren't required to show your ID if you haven't done anything.
    I know... however... most areas that people are fear mongering about this are going to be in states where it's already a standard due to the long standing war on drugs and illegals (and in Florida's case indigents). Texas being the strangely odd man out (and every knows Cali is a sanctuary state).

Over half of the US has 'stop and identify' laws.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

• Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast