Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 98

Thread: Is it fascism yet?

  1. #31
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,584

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    Dude, human nature doesn't allow for communism at a large scale - socialist dictatorships are required for any commune over a certain (and very small) size.
    I know. But I'm an idealist in this one very narrow niche ideal.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

 

  • #32
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,013

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    I think China is the best current example we have for a fascist state.
    I'd argue for the Norks. DPRK only pretends to communism in its foreign propaganda.

    Although theres a strong case for China.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #33
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Devoid View Post
    What happened?
    Stupid people like you happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #34
    Religipster Enkhidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    7,096

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    I'd argue for the Norks. DPRK only pretends to communism in its foreign propaganda.

    Although theres a strong case for China.
    I'd label DPRK as a totalitarian state that's geared toward the aggrandizement of the Kims, rather than the aggrandizement of the nation-state. Basically the same thing we would get in the US if we let Trump run wild.

  • #35
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,366

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    So, capitalism is oligarchy?
    Pretty close. It certainly is moving in that direction.
    I like hats.

  • #36
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,013

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    I'd label DPRK as a totalitarian state that's geared toward the aggrandizement of the Kims, rather than the aggrandizement of the nation-state. Basically the same thing we would get in the US if we let Trump run wild.
    I can't even get close to what's wrong with this. Image Trump at his worst -- do you honestly believe that result is anywhere close to the DPRK? He'd have to eliminate the Constitution, democracies, lead the military coup, and then have everyone go along with it in a country geared to fight that very thing. I can't even get close to that kind of feckless hyperbole.

    Trump's a clown, but let's be honest about what level of clownery he can actually get up to.

    As for DPRK, a cult of personality around the despot is surely not incompatible with fascism, yeah? That it exist is does not argue, in any way, against the actual structure of the government. Nationalism is HUGE in the DPRK, and it's based on a deeply held belief of racial superiority. The Norks are fed daily a diet of strong propaganda that they are the best people anywhere. The government allow entrepreneurial endeavors by favored persons, so long as the results feed back to the state. They've allowed a huge amount of smuggling to occur with China, with the smuggling run by locals kicking back up the chain and at the loose direction of the state. This has changed recently, with a crackdown on the allowed smuggling because the recent economic pinch of sanctions has increased the power of the smuggling rings and thus presented a challenge to the power of the state. Can't have citizens being more thankful to a smuggler than the state, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #37
    Religipster Enkhidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    7,096

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    I can't even get close to what's wrong with this. Image Trump at his worst -- do you honestly believe that result is anywhere close to the DPRK? He'd have to eliminate the Constitution, democracies, lead the military coup, and then have everyone go along with it in a country geared to fight that very thing. I can't even get close to that kind of feckless hyperbole.

    Trump's a clown, but let's be honest about what level of clownery he can actually get up to.
    The key was "run wild." We won't, of course.

    But in his fever dreams, I can totally see Trump pulling an Kim or Il Duce if we were to let him get away with it.

  • #38
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,584

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    But in my fever dreams...
    I fixed it for you.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

  • #39
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,304

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post

    Nationalism is HUGE in the DPRK, and it's based on a deeply held belief of racial superiority. The Norks are fed daily a diet of strong propaganda that they are the best people anywhere.
    This isn't too hugely far off in describing the US sometimes, either, honestly. The belief of superiority and the strong propaganda simply aren't (always) coming from the top down.
    "And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

  • #40
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,013

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    This isn't too hugely far off in describing the US sometimes, either, honestly. The belief of superiority and the strong propaganda simply aren't (always) coming from the top down.
    No, it's very far off. American exceptionalism isn't quite the same as the race driven nationalism of DPRK. Not to Godwin unnecessarily, but this is like saying that US nationalism is roughly equivalent to the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Not to Godwin unnecessarily, but this is like saying that US nationalism is roughly equivalent to the Nazis.
    Lots of people on the far left are saying just this.

  • #42
    Religipster Enkhidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    7,096

    Ignore User
    It's a matter of degree - US exceptionalism and Nazism come from the same place, the far different orders of magnitude.

    Nationalism, like most things, is best in moderation.

  • #43
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    Lots of people on the far left are saying just this.
    Maybe people to the left of Fusangite.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

  • #44
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,584

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Maybe people to the left of Fusangite.
    Is there anyone that far left?


    And less hyperbolic, but we do have a large group of stupid people running around shouting "Nazi" at anyone they don't like and ineffectually engaging in political violence.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

  • #45
    Girls Gone Spoony! Spoony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Province
    Knoxville TN
    Oratio
    6,653

    Ignore User
    To be honest, there's one difference between communism and fascism, but it's a crucial one. In Communism the state owns all the corporations. In Fascism the corporations own the state. Both come dressed in lying promises of power to the people.

  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •