Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Altered Carbon anyone?

  1. #16
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,707

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    None of the implications of the technology on display are really well handled. Like, the world has seemingly strong AI, but real business deals are done by rich assholes, and the AI run unsuccessful brothels? Somehow there are regular police type people? Crime and wealth inequality are still problems, but not like hard dystopia problems? I mean, it's got post scarcity tech but a cyberpunk setting.

    It's Next Sunday, A.D. society set in the far future with mid future tech. Like, imagine Blade Runner or Ready Player One if instead of being set in the 21st, it was set in the 24th century. Where is the missing 300 years of societal change?
    Jesus, you just don't follow what you watch very well, do you?

    It's made painfully clear that AI has been thrown to the wayside and severely limited with gross prejudice against it. I mean, fuck, how could you miss that? It was practically spelled out for the slow people in the audience.

    And there are "regular police type people" because the majority of humanity is still living on the ground and needs, like, policing.

    And wealth inequality is literally the primary underlying conceit of the entire fucking milieu. And "hard" dystopia? Seriously? Do you not know your basic literary tropes? I'll give you a hint: dystopia is hard. This representation of it is actually fairly realistic.

    And post-scarcity tech is very clearly delineated between technologies. It's like the difference between having a $2.5 million USD 3D printer and a $300 one. I mean, fuck me, you've put so little thought into your criticisms that it's like you've forgotten what a high school essay looks like and reverted to primary school ranting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

 

  • #17
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,707

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    And they pointed out how AIs have been around for a long time.
    Those aren't A.I's, fuckwit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #18
    I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    26,558

    Ignore User
    Having finished the series, Eldorian, I'm not sure what you're looking for as more of a dystopia. They keep add more and more to show how much the lives of the wealthy are care free and important while the lives of the grounders are useless and easy to throw away.

    Very well done. They left it open for a sequal, but I'd be fine without one, and it'd likely have different people, even if Kovaks were to return.

  • #19
    Watched it, enjoyed it. There is clearly enough to continue the story.

  • #20
    I want watermelon! Bagpuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio
    9,186

    Ignore User
    With having finished this and Derek Gently I'm not sure what to watch now on Netflix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

  • #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    With having finished this and Derek Gently I'm not sure what to watch now on Netflix.
    Having no idea what else you saw so far, some stuff I watched: Mindhunters, Rick & Morty, Bojack Horseman, Travelers, The OA. (Travelers I didn't see on Netflix originally, but it's there now. Beware, it's in the German Netflix listing, don't know if it's in the UK.)

  • #22
    I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    26,558

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Having no idea what else you saw so far, some stuff I watched: Mindhunters, Rick & Morty, Bojack Horseman, Travelers, The OA. (Travelers I didn't see on Netflix originally, but it's there now. Beware, it's in the German Netflix listing, don't know if it's in the UK.)
    Travelers is in US Netflix, so I suspect it's everywhere.

  • #23
    Oh, and if you can stand dubbing or reading subtitles, you might want to check Dark. It's a German Netflix series (as in produced by Netflix in Germany)

  • #24
    I want watermelon! Bagpuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio
    9,186

    Ignore User
    Yeah watched Travellers, enjoyed that. Checked of Killjoys and the Expanse.

    I might try going back to Sense 8 now the second series is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

  • #25
    I want watermelon! Bagpuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio
    9,186

    Ignore User
    So season 2?

    Going to be odd don't you think?

    Spoiler for this season.
    Spoiler:
    By the looks of things none of the actors (except those from flashback) are set to come back. I mean the skin Kovacs has been wearing is returned. Ortega has her love back, Vernon has has family back together, Poe is dead, Bancroft's are locked up. So all their story arcs seem over. I've not read the books so I don't know if any return, but the cyberpunk noir novel seems to lend itself to Kovacs having a different love interest each book.

    It works for Doctor Who, so maybe it will work for this.


    minor Spoiler for unconfirmed next season (not if you have read the books).
    Spoiler:
    So the book, he changes skin, leaps 30 years ahead in time, and to a different planet. Seems everyone was only signed for one season, and the lead has another gig lined up, so it is likely there will be significant changes to the line-up but, the screen writer who is working with the author is the setting pretty much allows you to do anything so never say never regards an actor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

  • #26
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,707

    Ignore User
    Shame, Martha Higareda was super hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #27
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,707

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Yeah watched Travellers, enjoyed that. Checked of Killjoys and the Expanse.

    I might try going back to Sense 8 now the second series is out.
    Tried Hard Sun yet? BBC/Hulu project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    So season 2?

    Going to be odd don't you think?

    Spoiler for this season.
    Spoiler:
    By the looks of things none of the actors (except those from flashback) are set to come back. I mean the skin Kovacs has been wearing is returned. Ortega has her love back, Vernon has has family back together, Poe is dead, Bancroft's are locked up. So all their story arcs seem over. I've not read the books so I don't know if any return, but the cyberpunk noir novel seems to lend itself to Kovacs having a different love interest each book.

    It works for Doctor Who, so maybe it will work for this.


    minor Spoiler for unconfirmed next season (not if you have read the books).
    Spoiler:
    So the book, he changes skin, leaps 30 years ahead in time, and to a different planet. Seems everyone was only signed for one season, and the lead has another gig lined up, so it is likely there will be significant changes to the line-up but, the screen writer who is working with the author is the setting pretty much allows you to do anything so never say never regards an actor.
    The second and third book are different than the first and both take place on separate worlds, in separate bodies, with separate supporting cast. Though, they've changed quite a few things from the first book and I'm not done the season yet so I'm not sure what they might have planned. The second book is more military sci-fi and explores the alien species mentioned in a few episodes. The third book is closer to the first and I think it'd make for a good adaptation too. They've already done some of the ground work for a few things in it.

  • #29
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,278

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Farside View Post
    My wife and I really like this series, but every time I see Max Headroom it breaks down the illusion.
    Huh. And I love him being in it. I feel like it wraps things around nicely with the Headroom concepts that never really got their full airing the first time (due to cancellation). Though Ready Player One might do that too.
    I like hats.

  • #30
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    30,153

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    Huh. And I love him being in it.
    Oh now I have to watch it. I love Matt Frewer.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •