Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The UK has lost Free Speech

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User

The UK has lost Free Speech

So I'm not requesting our UK posters to post on this, I wouldn't want them to go to jail for stating their opinions and the bobbies deciding it was "hate speech"...

Last edited by nail bunny; January 29th, 2018 at 09:21 PM.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

I watched it all the way to the end!

He was endorsed by Alex Jones!

I'm so impressed!

It must be true.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    We never had free speech to lose in the first place, but yeah things have got worse.

Count Dankula in case you didn't know taught his girlfriends dog to do a Nazi salute (basically raise it's paw) when it heard the phrase "gas the Jews". Mainly because his girlfriend thought the dog was really cute, and he wanted to make it do the least cute thing he could think of to troll her. He posted it on YouTube (I think) and it went viral. Someone complained to the police under the UK malicious communications act, and now he has been suffering a trial going on over 2 years, which could lead to the prison sentence.

The Crown is stating the phrase “contains a clear threat of incitement to carry out a seriously violent act.”

Like he and his pug are going to go and actually act on the phrase...

It's fucking ridiculous when you consider this guy hasn't been arrested for crimes against comedy.

Last edited by Bagpuss; January 30th, 2018 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Someone complained to the police under the UK malicious communications act, and now he has been suffering a trial going on over 2 years, which could lead to the prison sentence.

The Crown is stating the phrase contains a clear threat of incitement to carry out a seriously violent act.

Well at least the Crown is working hard to stop these potential terrorist attacks.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yes the legions of racist pug's have been held in check... for now.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    We never had free speech to lose in the first place, but yeah things have got worse.
    I hope this sentence isn't counted as 'harassment of government officials'.

Count Dankula in case you didn't know taught his girlfriends dog to do a Nazi salute (basically raise it's paw) when it heard the phrase "gas the Jews".
    In the interest of truth... he taught it to raise it's paw to "Sieg Heil" and to look up with interest to "gas the Jews" and "Jews".

Mainly because his girlfriend thought the dog was really cute, and he wanted to make it do the least cute thing he could think of to troll her.
    Wasn't just 'the least cute thing', in the Nazi Pug video he says 'literally the worst thing ever, be a Nazi'.

He posted it on YouTube (I think) and it went viral.
    He posted it privately, but it still went viral.

Someone complained to the police under the UK malicious communications act, and now he has been suffering a trial going on over 2 years, which could lead to the prison sentence.
    He's also upset his neighbor was arrested for shouting 'Nazi' at him. Not as upset at his own trials and tribulations... but seriously, just shouting at someone that their a Nazi is a jailing offense.

The Crown is stating the phrase “contains a clear threat of incitement to carry out a seriously violent act.”

It's pugnacious.

It's fucking ridiculous when you consider this guy hasn't been arrested for crimes against comedy.
    I consider it worse that people can still post stuff like "Kill all whites" and "Women only exist to be raped" and the UK police don't give a shit... but teach a dog to be give a Nazi salute...

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The judge should have thrown it out the first day.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Holy fuck... The UK has is now thought policing... (or has been since 2014)

Man ordered to tell police if he plans to have sex

Note, he's not convicted of any crimes, he's been acquitted...

From the article:

"Sexual risk orders were introduced in England and Wales in March last year and can be applied to any individual who the police believe poses a risk of sexual harm, even if they have never been convicted of a crime."

How did this happen to England?

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    This one was from a year ago. I remember it not being as clear cut as that article makes it. The man approached the medical profession asking for some sort of restrictions as he thought he would end up killing someone, I think at first. It is no longer 24 hours it is now “as soon as is reasonably practicable” (source), not much better really.

Innocent until proven guilty disappeared about 20 year ago in the UK with the introduction of ASBOs. You can get an Anti Social Behaviour Order (ASBO), in a civil case on the "balance of evidence" which can restrict people form certain areas (town centres, etc) without having committed any crime. But breaching that order is a criminal offense that carries a maximum 5 years in prison.

So you can get sent to prison for acts that aren't actually illegal. Get drunk in the town centre too often get an ASBO, then later walk into the town centre get sent to prison.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Holy fuck... The UK has is now thought policing... (or has been since 2014)...even if they have never been convicted of a crime."How did this happen to England?

We need to

1) Protect society
    2) Protect the rights of the individual
    3) Possibly protect John O'Neill from himself - see below

What do you think is the best way to satisfy all of these criteria in this case?

Some relevant details of the John O'Neill case:

Oliver Thorne, for the police, read extracts from a report written by a community psychiatric nurse who spoke to Mr O'Neill in 2014.

Her notes said he had been sexually violent to past girlfriends and he was "not sure" if they had consented.

He told her he needed women "to be scared" during sex or "I don't respond", the court heard.

The nurse noted he had suicidal thoughts and had been "preoccupied with killing himself and others" - an idea he found "soothing".

She also wrote Mr O'Neill thought "it would be safer for everyone if he was dead".

Magistrates were also told about a conversation between the father-of-two and his GP in which he discussed "biting and choking" sexual partners.

Dr Miriam Hodgson wrote her patient had "homicidal and suicidal thoughts" and had said his sex life had become violent.

Her notes added: "Thinks he may have raped someone, it went further than she expected" and "Patient thinks he is dangerous and needs to be stopped."

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    England has been horrible on free speech for...well, they never got into the modern age, tbh. Their libel laws are infamous.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tension View Post
    What do you think is the best way to satisfy all of these criteria in this case?
    Irrelevant. He's not convicted of a crime and yet he's been sentence by the courts.

If he requested help, that wold be different. He did not request being put under police watch.

Irrelevant. He's not convicted of a crime and yet he's been sentence by the courts.

If he requested help, that wold be different. He did not request being put under police watch.
    You deem 1) Protecting society; 2) Protecting the rights of the individual; and 3) Adequately addressing mental health issues, irrelevant?

What moral values would you deem relevant?

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    They are nether protecting his rights (they're in fact trampling them) nor are they addressing his mental health issues (no counseling, just a "report to the police if you plan to engage in behavior normally within a citizen's rights").

They are nether protecting his rights (they're in fact trampling them) nor are they addressing his mental health issues (no counseling, just a "report to the police if you plan to engage in behavior normally within a citizen's rights").
    I never implied "they" were - whoever they are. As usual, you inferred more than was written.

But now you think protecting the individual's rights and addressing mental health issues are relevant? I'm trying to follow you, here.
    Last edited by Tension; February 2nd, 2018 at 03:24 PM.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast