Thread: Anyone play Frostgrave or any other skirmish fantasy wargames?

Province
    St. Louis, MO
    Oratio

Ignore User

Anyone play Frostgrave or any other skirmish fantasy wargames?

Looking for a good small band skirmish fantasy game not put out by GW. No AoS. Anyone have experience with Frostgrave? Heard good and bad things about it.
    18/100 Strength!

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Is Warmachine not your speed?

Province
    St. Louis, MO
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Not really, would like something that would work with all my D&D models and that stuff. Hopefully something I can use to get my RPG group people into table top mini wargaming. I'm trying to use The Rules with No Name for western skirmishing but I think fantasy would have a bigger hook. Plus it would give me an excuse to start buying 4Ground 28mm fantasy buildings.

Warmachine may be cool and something to check out down the line, right now I'm playing Bolt Action which I love.
    18/100 Strength!

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Kings of War is releasing their Vanguard ruleset. Never tried the Vanguard version, but the regular KoW ruleset is a great game.

Province
    St. Louis, MO
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    Kings of War is releasing their Vanguard ruleset. Never tried the Vanguard version, but the regular KoW ruleset is a great game.
    I've heard good things about KoW but I'm not looking to get into a bigger scale game like that at the moment.
    18/100 Strength!

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor the Mighty! View Post
    Looking for a good small band skirmish fantasy game not put out by GW. No AoS. Anyone have experience with Frostgrave? Heard good and bad things about it.
    Not sure what small band skirmish or AoS mean, but does Heroscape fit the bill?

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    Not sure what small band skirmish...
    Single squad skirmish style game. Think Necromunda, Mordenheim, Age of Sigmar...

or AoS mean..
    Probably Age of Sigmar.

[EDIT]
    Upon looking into Age of Sigmar, it looks like multi-squad tactical miniatures, so more like 40K in 40 Minutes, less like Necromunda and Mordenheim.
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by nail bunny; February 1st, 2018 at 05:12 PM.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I've heard good things about KoW but I'm not looking to get into a bigger scale game like that at the moment.
    Oh sorry, I was unclear. Vanguard *is* a skirmish ruleset.

https://manticblog.com/2017/10/16/in...-war-vanguard/
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...irmish-wargame

Seems like they're currently accepting late pledges.

also https://manticblog.com/category/game...-war-vanguard/
    Last edited by Ulrik; February 1st, 2018 at 08:04 PM.

Province
    Colorado Springs
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My roommate plays both Frostgrave and Dragon Rampant.
    If you're going to be an asshole, commit. Don't piss on me and tell me that it's raining.

Province
    St. Louis, MO
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    Oh sorry, I was unclear. Vanguard *is* a skirmish ruleset.

https://manticblog.com/2017/10/16/in...-war-vanguard/
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...irmish-wargame

Seems like they're currently accepting late pledges.

also https://manticblog.com/category/game...-war-vanguard/
    Cool. If it his retail I'll check it out.
    18/100 Strength!

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Cool. If it his retail I'll check it out.
    Beta rules now available:

https://manticblog.com/2018/02/12/ki...now-available/

Sent fra min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk

Province
    Mahomet, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I have been playing a ton of Frost Grave and like the game. It uses the miniatures you already own (D&D) miniatures and a typical two player game takes between 40 minutes and an hour. The scenarios are well thought out and the campaign rules work well. I like the campaign rules far better than Mordheim, which could get lopsided in a hurry.

We have played through Thaw of the Lich Lord campaign it was solid.

Unlike a lot of campaign style miniatures games Frost Grave gives experience only to your leader/wizard and their apprentice. This is a cool balancing factor because even a new band has a chance against a veteran band.

I assume you know the concept, but for those not familiar:
    You pick a school of magic for your main mage. They all start with the same stats, but you choose ten spells. Four spells come from your school, three from aligned schools, and three from unaligned schools. You are best at casting the ones from your aligned schools. You then get 500 gold to spend on your warband - a list of minions with equipment included that do not change throughout the course of a campaign for the most part - although you can give them a magic item down the road.

Almost all scenarios are based on gathering or defending treasure in a huge abandoned city.

I think you play some Saga. A lot of those figures will work well in Frost Grave too.

There is a newer game by the same author, Ghost Archipelego. Basic system is the same, but more of a tropical island, pirates, voodoo, feel to it. Have not played it, but it looks solid too.

Province
    St. Louis, MO
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by pogre View Post
    I have been playing a ton of Frost Grave and like the game. It uses the miniatures you already own (D&D) miniatures and a typical two player game takes between 40 minutes and an hour. The scenarios are well thought out and the campaign rules work well. I like the campaign rules far better than Mordheim, which could get lopsided in a hurry.

We have played through Thaw of the Lich Lord campaign it was solid.

Unlike a lot of campaign style miniatures games Frost Grave gives experience only to your leader/wizard and their apprentice. This is a cool balancing factor because even a new band has a chance against a veteran band.

I assume you know the concept, but for those not familiar:
    You pick a school of magic for your main mage. They all start with the same stats, but you choose ten spells. Four spells come from your school, three from aligned schools, and three from unaligned schools. You are best at casting the ones from your aligned schools. You then get 500 gold to spend on your warband - a list of minions with equipment included that do not change throughout the course of a campaign for the most part - although you can give them a magic item down the road.

Almost all scenarios are based on gathering or defending treasure in a huge abandoned city.

I think you play some Saga. A lot of those figures will work well in Frost Grave too.

There is a newer game by the same author, Ghost Archipelego. Basic system is the same, but more of a tropical island, pirates, voodoo, feel to it. Have not played it, but it looks solid too.
    I ended up buying the book and like it a lot from a read, just need to get a game going. I have to make some frozen terrain for it.
    18/100 Strength!

I really didn't like Frostgrave. It has some very serious design flaws that become really apparent in campaign play. The biggest of which is that your Sorcerer only gains XP for casting direct damage spells which completely fucks several of the spellcaster types. For example, if you play a Summoner, you're boned -- you rely entirely on summoned monsters to deal damage, and gain no XP for them. Likewise, some of the spellcaster types are Buffers whose spells enhance their minions...and gain no XP.

If you're looking for a really good skirmish level fantasy wargame, I'd strongly recommend Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish. It's loosely based on the 7TV system, and offers a lot of tactical variety without an overly complex system. It also has some really inventive mechanics.

Each player has a set amount of Gold to use to buy models for their warband. There are three tiers of models: Heroes, Companions and Minions. You can choose from two factions: Heroes and Villains. Hero Warbands can only select Heroic Heroes and Companions, while Villain Warbands can only pick Villainous Heroes and Companions. Either band can select any kind of minion with very few exceptions. Minions range from humans and demihumans (Mercenaries, Knights, Bandits, etc.), and then you have Demons, Undead, Monsters, Vermin, etc. You can spend all your gold and recruit a Dragon, or for the same gold recruit like 20 Goblins. there are four heroes and four companions for each faction, and a HUGE list of Minions. The minions are designed to reflect Otherworld's miniatures line, which is based on the 1st edition AD&D Monster Manuals (they're famous for their pig-faced orcs), so consequently the minions list feels a LOT like the AD&D 1E Monster Manual, with a few bonus creatures from Monster Manual 2 and the Fiend Folio.

My Warband -- The Bandits of Blackwood -- consists of a badass archer/leader, his berzerker companion, an evil heretical priest, a half dozen bandits, a couple of cultists, some war dogs, and several Owlbears for use as Wandering Monsters (see below).

What makes the game really cool is the Adventure Deck. At the start of the game, one player is the Defender and the other is the Attacker. The Defending player places 6 Adventure Tokens on the board, and the Attacker's goal is to collect all the tokens. Each time the Attacker takes a token they draw a card from the Adventure Deck. Some cards reveal a treasure worth Victory Points, others reveal some game effect (like an explosion that damages the character who retrieved the token), and some are Wandering Monster cards. The way those work is the Defender can assign up to 25% of his forces (in Gold cost) to a Wandering Monster reserve. These models aren't placed on the playfield during deployment, instead they are held in reserve and then when a Wandering Monster card comes up the Defender gets to place a Wandering Monster model next to the token.

This creates a really interesting tactical dilemma for the Attacker. They can split their forces up and try to go for multiple tokens at once, but then risk getting reamed by a Wandering Monster, or they can go after one token at a time with entire warband, which runs the risk of the game ending before you gather sufficient tokens to win.

It also means the game really feels a lot like a D&D dungeon crawl, with the Attacker playing the PC adventuring party (and their henchmen), and the Defender playing a dungeon full of monsters. The game is INSANELY fun to play on dungeon based board -- I'm building a Hirst Arts dungeon just for this game.

It's really one of the best skirmish games I've ever played, only topped by Crooked Dice's 7TV 2nd Edition (which I'd also highly recommend people check out).

The only mark against the game is that Otherworld hasn't really done anything to support it since it came out. They promised a second book with campaign rules and more heroes, companions and minions, but it's more than 2 years overdue at this point, and the company as a whole is poor at communicating with their player base. But it doesn't really matter, because the base game is fully functional, very robust, and very fun.
    Last edited by Skepticultist; March 10th, 2018 at 10:13 PM.