Thread: reveal's Daily Trivia 1.12.18

reveal's Daily Trivia 1.12.18

Martin Luther King Day edition!

1) On ships, what terms are used instead of "left" and "right"? Answered

Port and starboard. Since left and right can change depending on orientation, mariners use these terms to avoid confusion.

2) Of the five Great Lakes, only one is located entirely within the United States. Which one? Answered

Lake Michigan. The other lakes are partially within Canada as well

3) What makes Burmese sneezing monkeys sneeze? Answered

Rain. Because their noses are upturned, rain water collects in their nostrils and causes these rare animals – first identified in 2010; only about 400 of them are left – to make the achoo sound.

4) Before moving on to a very holy job (way before, in fact), what well-known man spent time working as a nightclub bouncer in his native Argentina? Answered

Pope Francis. He held that job during his student days in Buenos Aires.
    Last edited by reveal; January 13th, 2018 at 02:52 AM.
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

Workman Publishing Company
    225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Port, starboard.

Michigan

Pepper?

Francis I

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Port, starboard.

Michigan

Francis I
    These three are correct!

1) Port and starboard. Since left and right can change depending on orientation, mariners use these terms to avoid confusion.

2) Lake Michigan. The other lakes are partially within Canada as well.

4) Pope Francis. He held that job during his student days in Buenos Aires.
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by reveal View Post
    1) Port and starboard. Since left and right can change depending on orientation, mariners use these terms to avoid confusion.
    Fun fact: Port is so named because on earlier boats, the steering rudder was located on the right side of the boat, so to go into port they had to put the left side of the boat to the quay. Starboard has a sloppier, less interesting etymology that I've forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Fun fact: Port is so named because on earlier boats, the steering rudder was located on the right side of the boat, so to go into port they had to put the left side of the boat to the quay. Starboard has a sloppier, less interesting etymology that I've forgotten.
    You have the reason for starboard in your definition of port. Star in this case was originally steer. And port used to be larboard. It was abandoned in the 19th century. Port had always been used alongside larboard, because it was necessary to prevent confusion between larboard and starboard when giving directions to the helm.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphersmith View Post
    You have the reason for starboard in your definition of port. Star in this case was originally steer.
    Ah, yes. "star = steer" sloppy word change.

3. Big rocks of cocaine. Or rain, since their noses are just tiny little slits, from all the missing cartilage the coke has wasted away.

Quote Originally Posted by Farside View Post
    3. Big rocks of cocaine. Or rain, since their noses are just tiny little slits, from all the missing cartilage the coke has wasted away.
    Correct!

3) Rain. Because their noses are upturned, rain water collects in their nostrils and causes these rare animals – first identified in 2010; only about 400 of them are left – to make the achoo sound.

225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com