Portland, OR
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

New glucose monitor available - no finger pricks required

The FDA just approved this:

Abbott Diabetes Care's Freestyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoring System has been approved by the FDA. As well as finally bringing the system, which is already available in 39 other countries, home to the US where Abbott is based, the approval also represents a first for continuous glucose monitoring, as it doesn't require the user to use a fingerstick, even for calibration.

"From an emotional perspective, it’s especially important to us because Abbott’s an American company, this is a product that was designed in California, and diabetes is personal to many of us," Abbott Research Fellow and Director of Biosensor Technology Christopher Thomas told MobiHealthNews. "Every part of the design we come to with an incredible amount of passion ... so to be able to make that available in America is one of the most satisfying things that we could work for ever."

Abbot's Freestyle Libre fully disposable system consists of a tiny insertable sensor and a patch about the size of a quarter worn on the arm for up to 10 days (though it's cleared for 14 in other countries). The patch records glucose data every 15 minutes. Using a special reader, the wearer can scan the patch with NFC technology, checking their glucose painlessly as often as they want. In addition to the current reading, a scan gives eight hours of historical data and trend information.

"You get where you are, where you’ve been, and where you’re going, all in that painless, one second scan," Thomas said. "You can scan it as many times as you want per day. What we’ve done at Abbott, is we want to help this revolutionary technology to blend seamlessly into your life."

The device is factory calibrated, which means it allows the user to eschew pricking their finger entirely. The Dexcom G5 was cleared last year for use without fingersticks, but still required them for calibration. Freestyle Libre also becomes the second CGM, after the G5, to be approved for non-adjunctive insulin dosing claims.

“The FDA is always interested in new technologies that can help make the care of people living with chronic conditions, such as diabetes, easier and more manageable,” Donald St. Pierre, acting director of the Office of In Vitro Diagnostics and Radiological Health and deputy director of new product evaluation in the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health, said in a statement. “This system allows people with diabetes to avoid the additional step of fingerstick calibration, which can sometimes be painful, but still provides necessary information for treating their diabetes—with a wave of the mobile reader.”

Abbot saw a professional version of Freestyle Libre cleared one year ago. That device was nearly identical, but only a healthcare provider could scan it and view the glucose data. The newest clearance allows users to view data themselves, something that research shows they're keen to do often -- an average of 16 times per day.

Looking to Europe, where the device has been available for some time, we can make some predictions about next steps for Freestyle Libre in the US. For one thing, the sensor will likely be expanded from 10 to 14 days of wear.

Also in Europe, Abbott has incorporated smartphone apps into the operation of the system. Users with Android phones that have RFID or NFC technology can leave the reader at home and scan the sensor directly with their phones. There are also monitoring apps for both care providers and parents to see someone else's data remotely.

"We’ve got a long pipeline of innovations that are coming," Thomas said. "Stay tuned for different changes to that, smartphone editions, it’s all part of the exciting pipeline that we’re working on right now."
    Being diabetic, this is fucking awesome news. When it becomes available in the US, it will make it so that I no longer need to stick my finger regularly.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    "Insertable sensor"? And a patch that is worn for 10 days?

So you have get something jammed under your skin... and is it indefinite or is this jamming every 10 days?
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

Province
    Portland, OR
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    "Insertable sensor"? And a patch that is worn for 10 days?

So you have get something jammed under your skin... and is it indefinite or is this jamming every 10 days?
    Every 10 days. That's better than pricking my fingers as many as 8 times a day, or more. And it's a very small sensor, basically a short needle that barely goes into the skin.

Westworld Magnificent COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    my doc mention this to me this week at my 3 month check up. the sensor i have used with my pump is painful when i move my torso.

waiting for FDA now to say a date.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphersmith View Post
    Every 10 days. That's better than pricking my fingers as many as 8 times a day, or more. And it's a very small sensor, basically a short needle that barely goes into the skin.
    Ah. Okay, that's sounds way better than what I was envisioning.
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

Province
    Portland, OR
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    my doc mention this to me this week at my 3 month check up. the sensor i have used with my pump is painful when i move my torso.

waiting for FDA now to say a date.
    What do you use now? Dexcom G5?

I don't think that the Freestyle Libre works with a pump. It's not a CGM.

I will be warm! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER guyjin's Avatar
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Speaking of diabetes, has anyone else noticed a sudden uptick in disco music in diabetes drug commercials?

I keep thinking "they must really want diaglo's business."

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    How did I miss this thread? Jesus Christ am I sick of sticking my goddamn fingers!
    "1 out of 3 Trump supporters is as stupid as the other 2"

Province
    Skien
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Hello, all the time i used to check webpage posts here in the early hours in the dawn, for the reason that i enjoy to find out more and more.my web-site ... check out your url

Province
    Crumlin
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! My site ... expert psychics Near royal oak

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Stupid bots.

Anyway, just heard a story on NPR last week about research into cells that handle the glucose and how this grad student at [insert prestigious university here] found a way to make the mesh enclosure around the cells work (so the body doesn't reject them). They are in, and have seen success, in animal trials.
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Westworld Magnificent COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Stupid bots.

Anyway, just heard a story on NPR last week about research into cells that handle the glucose and how this grad student at [insert prestigious university here] found a way to make the mesh enclosure around the cells work (so the body doesn't reject them). They are in, and have seen success, in animal trials.
    i downloaded the paper before LokiCon but haven't read it yet
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Eatontown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    With thanks, Great stuff!Also visit my blog post: boots voucher Code - www.vouchercode.io,