Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    And we already know that there are prblems with the drive, so it's only a few episodes off till it 'malfunctions' in typical trek fashion and shit goes back to "the way it was". Or maybe this show is trying to break that tradition.
    Michael's clearly uncomfortable with the way the drive distresses the teddy-bear, but she's also Vulcan-pragmatically driven to see the war won by any means necessary. So my assumption is that we'll get a couple of episodes of her agonising over the internal conflict before liberating the teddy-bear somewhere that Lorca can't find it. (Possibly by granting it the ability to spore-jump home somehow.)

-Hyp.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmurf View Post
    (Possibly by granting it the ability to spore-jump home somehow.)
    I'm of the mind that there is no "home", that it was an accidental creation, a 'twist' during a shorter jump.
    A liberalist gets it's wings...

Well, she let it go home, but it only took one episode. And remains to be seen how Lorca will feel about it.

I'm not sure how I feel about cursing on Trek!

-Hyp.

Well, she let it go home, but it only took one episode. And remains to be seen how Lorca will feel about it.
    Well, if there is an easy injection to apply and every Starfleet Officer can become a DASH navigator, I think he'll be fine with it.

I'm not sure how I feel about cursing on Trek!
    *shrug*, I'd say. Cursing never really seemed like a big deal to me. Usually the only thing treating cursing as "problematic" means is that if people want to appear clever and rebellious, they curse a lot. Who cares?

Of course, you could put a flag over their mouth and dub things like "Dingleberries" or "Strudel" over it. Late Lately, that's working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Well, if there is an easy injection to apply and every Starfleet Officer can become a DASH navigator, I think he'll be fine with it.
    Keeping in mind that from a continuity perspective, the spore drive needs to ultimately be a failed experiment, I doubt things will be that simple. And we've already seen that there's unanticipated side-effects...

Who cares?
    More that it's a departure from what I expect from Trek.

-Hyp.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    A mycelium network that spans the universe is stupid, as is a massive tardigrade. Then again, Trek has done a lot of dumb shit over the years.

The weird thing is that this show really isn't very Trek. It's like they took everything Trek and said, "Right, we want to be different, let's do the opposite of those things!"

Not that I mind all the above. I'm actually kind-of enjoying it and never really liked Trek anyway. Shiny lights and special effects is OK by me as some mindless entertainment. It's really nothing deeper than that, though, even though it tries really, really hard to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

More that it's a departure from what I expect from Trek.
    I'm apparently not alone.

-Hyp.

Didn't Picard say merde at some point? I guess as someone having seen most of Star Trek originally in German, the special focus on fuck is just one of those english idios...
    Meh, don't care about it to continue thinking about it.

My guess on the mycelium network: They burn it down. To either avoid the Klingons getting their hands on it, or to hurt the Klingons in some manner (maybe alterting their DNA again, leading to the TOS and TNG style Klingons?). Or both.

I really enjoyed the last episode, Lethe. A lot of character development.

Also: Someone pointed out that it could possibly be that ]the rescue from the Klingon ship, Ash Tyler, drunk prune juice. Any Real Star Trek Fan (TM) will immediately notice the relevance.

Holodecks!

Heh. The moment that...
    Spoiler:
    Cornwell threatened Lorca's command, I thought "Ooh, your story isn't ending well."

-Hyp.

Magic To Make The Sanest Man Go Mad was very fun.

Spoiler:

It also added a new space animal to the Star Trek universe.

Lorca kept calling it a Fish, which Saru pointed out was wrong. Giving Saru's description of the Gormagander and its (lack of) mating habits suggests it's more a ... Space Panda. Paging @Rel

Last edited by Mustrum_Ridcully; November 2nd, 2017 at 02:33 PM.

Things need to make sense. COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Advocatus Diaboli's Avatar
    Province
    San Antonio, TX
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So this episode was Journey to Babel Fish?
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Eeeeee! Best Star trek ever!

That transporter effect was nicely done. Plus the turbolift fight.

This is the first time we've seen a whole hero ship go to the Mirror Universe, and it has to be undercover even. Interesting. DS9 kinda overdid it with its Mirror episodes, but I guess the attraction for the cast and writers was that they could play and write the characters differently for a bit. But this time, it's the actors having to play their characters acting to fit in, and going through how that all affects them.

If Lorca is really from the Mirror Universe as some fans suspect, he must have know he'd get into that agony chamber. Whoa.

Though I am not entirely convinced of that yet. (And it might bne going too far, with the Voq/Tyler thing already going on, two main characters in the show being basically "double agents"?
    But it still seemed like Lorca did manipulate the coordinates for their last jump, even if he didn't go where he wanted. Maybe his real goal is trying to save his crew - or at least one version of his crew from some universe? No luck in the Mirrorverse then, though.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    If Lorca is really from the Mirror Universe as some fans suspect, he must have know he'd get into that agony chamber. Whoa.
    I'm thinking this isn't exactly his universe. Though, he does sleep with a blaster under his pillow...

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast