Thread: Sell me on D&D 5e

Aaaahh, shuutup! Kid Charlemagne's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I've ran a whole lot of 3.X, and played a bit of 5E. There are two main differences I noticed, and they are closely related: first, there's a lot less stacking of bonuses, and second, magic was nerfed very, very hard. Both differences can be good or bad depending on taste, personally I like them.
    Agreed, that they did it, and agreed, that it's good. I'll also note another thing I like - you can skip feats entirely if you choose (you can choose stat bonuses instead), but if you do use them, there are no feat chains, and most of them allow you to do several things so that you have more tactical options.

For magic, here's one example: Magic missile gets you 3 missiles, period - but if you cast it as a higher level spell you can get more missiles. Most of the spells that would have previously scaled with caster level now scale with the spell level slot you use to cast it.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    Humble (Houston), TX
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    It also seems to better support not everyone being the same level.
    This is definitely true. In our multi-DM game we have characters ranging from 12th to 7th level right now. Finding that characters of up to 3 levels difference can definitely participate and contribute. Haven't seen anyone 4 levels or more different yet.
    you suddenly see a light, behind it is a glow, too bright to see, it comes toward you and part of it breaks off, and hits the ground near you, All magic and magic items cease to function and you all take 50 million divine damage ignoring damage reduction and immunities. Also you area all disintegrated.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nall View Post
    This is definitely true. In our multi-DM game we have characters ranging from 12th to 7th level right now. Finding that characters of up to 3 levels difference can definitely participate and contribute. Haven't seen anyone 4 levels or more different yet.
    I can attest to the same (2 levels of difference in the lower-end of the mid tier) - the flatter math makes it easier to challenge the party as a whole without inadvertently killing the lower level PC.

I'm considering tweaking the XP charts, though, to make certain that the level difference shrinks more quickly than I found it to.

Province
    Humble (Houston), TX
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    I can attest to the same (2 levels of difference in the lower-end of the mid tier) - the flatter math makes it easier to challenge the party as a whole without inadvertently killing the lower level PC.

I'm considering tweaking the XP charts, though, to make certain that the level difference shrinks more quickly than I found it to.
    Yeah, I did some math nerd on the XP charts and found that the "longest" level is 10th. It takes longer (more "appropriate level" encounters) to go from 10th to 11th level than any other. Also, just straight up XP needed from 10th level to 11th level (21,000 xp) takes more than 11th (15K), 12th (20K) and 13th (20K) which is odd.

I've considered trying to go back to the geometric XP of AD&D using the fighter table (2K, 4K, 8K, etc.) but I suspect the players would mutiny. Maybe some happy medium? I'm LOVING the late 2nd tier play (8th - 10th level) and hoping it stays as good in early 3rd tier. Our current party has two level 11 PCs, one 10th and one 8th. We're looking at recruiting a new player and he'll join at either 7th or 8th.
    you suddenly see a light, behind it is a glow, too bright to see, it comes toward you and part of it breaks off, and hits the ground near you, All magic and magic items cease to function and you all take 50 million divine damage ignoring damage reduction and immunities. Also you area all disintegrated.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nall View Post
    Yeah, I did some math nerd on the XP charts and found that the "longest" level is 10th. It takes longer (more "appropriate level" encounters) to go from 10th to 11th level than any other. Also, just straight up XP needed from 10th level to 11th level (21,000 xp) takes more than 11th (15K), 12th (20K) and 13th (20K) which is odd.

I've considered trying to go back to the geometric XP of AD&D using the fighter table (2K, 4K, 8K, etc.) but I suspect the players would mutiny. Maybe some happy medium? I'm LOVING the late 2nd tier play (8th - 10th level) and hoping it stays as good in early 3rd tier. Our current party has two level 11 PCs, one 10th and one 8th. We're looking at recruiting a new player and he'll join at either 7th or 8th.
    This is intentional to extend "sweet spot play" of 2nd tier and then a faster progression through the higher tiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Mason Dixie Line
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Fuck XP , tell your players when they reach a milestone and advance the level then. I threw away the XP charts and every time they complete a major plot point they gain a level. Makes scaling easy. I don't care if they encounter 18 CR appropriate events or 4. It's the time spent while playing your character at that level matters.
    Failed RPG Writer.

Westworld Magnificent COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
    So my gaming group is considering switching from Pathfinder to D&D 5e.

What are some of the things 5e shines at compared to PF?

Any mods from the various articles that make stock 5e better?

Any hints on how to easily convert 3.x / PF content?
    For you i highly recommend it. it gets a 3cat 6 star rating on a scale of 3.

for people i like i tell them to avoid it like the plague
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This is intentional to extend "sweet spot play" of 2nd tier and then a faster progression through the higher tiers.
    Why not just make them 10th level at start and lock them in forever? Wouldn't that extend the 'sweet spot' into infinity?

Note: I run GURPS, so the characters are always in the 'sweet spot'.
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    You should really give 5e a try.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Note: I run GURPS, so the characters are always in the 'sweet spot'.
    We know you love anal probes but could you please shut up about it?
    If you ever have to argue climate science with an idiot:

"And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth."
    ~ Revelations 11:18.

Province
    New Jersey
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    For you i highly recommend it. it gets a 3cat 6 star rating on a scale of 3.

Glad to see you hate me. Played my first session using 5e and had a blast. Much less bloat and feels like 1e all over again. Advantage/disadvantage and resistance are intuitive, and action economy much less complicated.

Only thing I'd consider tweaking is crits - you ought to be allowed to stack your STR bonus on a crit but it doesn't appear to be the RAW.

Aaaahh, shuutup! Kid Charlemagne's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Correct - stat bonus only counts once, but all rolled dice get rolled twice. Crits happen more often but are less swing-y than in 3E.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Westworld Magnificent COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
    Glad to see you hate me. Played my first session using 5e and had a blast. Much less bloat and feels like 1e all over again. Advantage/disadvantage and resistance are intuitive, and action economy much less complicated.

Only thing I'd consider tweaking is crits - you ought to be allowed to stack your STR bonus on a crit but it doesn't appear to be the RAW.
    so i was right.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Colorado Springs
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    It also seems to better support not everyone being the same level.
    This is definitely true, IME. The AL hardcover campaign I'm currently playing in has a 1st-level character, a 3rd-level character, a 7th-level character, and a 9th-level character. We all contribute in different ways and none of us are left behind. We've had a lot of fun.
    If you're going to be an asshole, commit. Don't piss on me and tell me that it's raining.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12