Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Sell me on D&D 5e

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
    I've ran a whole lot of 3.X, and played a bit of 5E. There are two main differences I noticed, and they are closely related: first, there's a lot less stacking of bonuses, and second, magic was nerfed very, very hard. Both differences can be good or bad depending on taste, personally I like them.
    Agreed, that they did it, and agreed, that it's good. I'll also note another thing I like - you can skip feats entirely if you choose (you can choose stat bonuses instead), but if you do use them, there are no feat chains, and most of them allow you to do several things so that you have more tactical options.

    For magic, here's one example: Magic missile gets you 3 missiles, period - but if you cast it as a higher level spell you can get more missiles. Most of the spells that would have previously scaled with caster level now scale with the spell level slot you use to cast it.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

 

  • #17
    check out my boni Brent Nall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Province
    Humble (Houston), TX
    Oratio
    2,750

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    It also seems to better support not everyone being the same level.
    This is definitely true. In our multi-DM game we have characters ranging from 12th to 7th level right now. Finding that characters of up to 3 levels difference can definitely participate and contribute. Haven't seen anyone 4 levels or more different yet.
    you suddenly see a light, behind it is a glow, too bright to see, it comes toward you and part of it breaks off, and hits the ground near you, All magic and magic items cease to function and you all take 50 million divine damage ignoring damage reduction and immunities. Also you area all disintegrated.

  • #18
    Religipster Enkhidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    7,076

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nall View Post
    This is definitely true. In our multi-DM game we have characters ranging from 12th to 7th level right now. Finding that characters of up to 3 levels difference can definitely participate and contribute. Haven't seen anyone 4 levels or more different yet.
    I can attest to the same (2 levels of difference in the lower-end of the mid tier) - the flatter math makes it easier to challenge the party as a whole without inadvertently killing the lower level PC.

    I'm considering tweaking the XP charts, though, to make certain that the level difference shrinks more quickly than I found it to.

  • #19
    check out my boni Brent Nall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Province
    Humble (Houston), TX
    Oratio
    2,750

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    I can attest to the same (2 levels of difference in the lower-end of the mid tier) - the flatter math makes it easier to challenge the party as a whole without inadvertently killing the lower level PC.

    I'm considering tweaking the XP charts, though, to make certain that the level difference shrinks more quickly than I found it to.
    Yeah, I did some math nerd on the XP charts and found that the "longest" level is 10th. It takes longer (more "appropriate level" encounters) to go from 10th to 11th level than any other. Also, just straight up XP needed from 10th level to 11th level (21,000 xp) takes more than 11th (15K), 12th (20K) and 13th (20K) which is odd.

    I've considered trying to go back to the geometric XP of AD&D using the fighter table (2K, 4K, 8K, etc.) but I suspect the players would mutiny. Maybe some happy medium? I'm LOVING the late 2nd tier play (8th - 10th level) and hoping it stays as good in early 3rd tier. Our current party has two level 11 PCs, one 10th and one 8th. We're looking at recruiting a new player and he'll join at either 7th or 8th.
    you suddenly see a light, behind it is a glow, too bright to see, it comes toward you and part of it breaks off, and hits the ground near you, All magic and magic items cease to function and you all take 50 million divine damage ignoring damage reduction and immunities. Also you area all disintegrated.

  • #20
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    27,836

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nall View Post
    Yeah, I did some math nerd on the XP charts and found that the "longest" level is 10th. It takes longer (more "appropriate level" encounters) to go from 10th to 11th level than any other. Also, just straight up XP needed from 10th level to 11th level (21,000 xp) takes more than 11th (15K), 12th (20K) and 13th (20K) which is odd.

    I've considered trying to go back to the geometric XP of AD&D using the fighter table (2K, 4K, 8K, etc.) but I suspect the players would mutiny. Maybe some happy medium? I'm LOVING the late 2nd tier play (8th - 10th level) and hoping it stays as good in early 3rd tier. Our current party has two level 11 PCs, one 10th and one 8th. We're looking at recruiting a new player and he'll join at either 7th or 8th.
    This is intentional to extend "sweet spot play" of 2nd tier and then a faster progression through the higher tiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #21
    Love and Hate leopold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Province
    Mason Dixie Line
    Oratio
    2,844

    Ignore User
    Fuck XP , tell your players when they reach a milestone and advance the level then. I threw away the XP charts and every time they complete a major plot point they gain a level. Makes scaling easy. I don't care if they encounter 18 CR appropriate events or 4. It's the time spent while playing your character at that level matters.
    Failed RPG Writer.

  • #22
    Westworld Magnificent COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    36,631

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
    So my gaming group is considering switching from Pathfinder to D&D 5e.

    What are some of the things 5e shines at compared to PF?

    Any mods from the various articles that make stock 5e better?

    Any hints on how to easily convert 3.x / PF content?
    For you i highly recommend it. it gets a 3cat 6 star rating on a scale of 3.

    for people i like i tell them to avoid it like the plague
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

    I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

  • #23
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,859

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This is intentional to extend "sweet spot play" of 2nd tier and then a faster progression through the higher tiers.
    Why not just make them 10th level at start and lock them in forever? Wouldn't that extend the 'sweet spot' into infinity?

    Note: I run GURPS, so the characters are always in the 'sweet spot'.
    A liberalist gets it's wings...

  • #24
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,560

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    for people i like i tell them to avoid it like the plague
    You should really give 5e a try.

    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Note: I run GURPS, so the characters are always in the 'sweet spot'.
    We know you love anal probes but could you please shut up about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #25
    consequences 3catcircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Province
    New Jersey
    Oratio
    4,102

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    For you i highly recommend it. it gets a 3cat 6 star rating on a scale of 3.

    for people i like i tell them to avoid it like the plague
    Glad to see you hate me. Played my first session using 5e and had a blast. Much less bloat and feels like 1e all over again. Advantage/disadvantage and resistance are intuitive, and action economy much less complicated.

    Only thing I'd consider tweaking is crits - you ought to be allowed to stack your STR bonus on a crit but it doesn't appear to be the RAW.

  • #26
    Correct - stat bonus only counts once, but all rolled dice get rolled twice. Crits happen more often but are less swing-y than in 3E.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

  • #27
    Westworld Magnificent COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    36,631

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
    Glad to see you hate me. Played my first session using 5e and had a blast. Much less bloat and feels like 1e all over again. Advantage/disadvantage and resistance are intuitive, and action economy much less complicated.

    Only thing I'd consider tweaking is crits - you ought to be allowed to stack your STR bonus on a crit but it doesn't appear to be the RAW.
    so i was right.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

    I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

  • #28
    got a giant beard jdrakeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Province
    Colorado Springs
    Oratio
    7,447

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    It also seems to better support not everyone being the same level.
    This is definitely true, IME. The AL hardcover campaign I'm currently playing in has a 1st-level character, a 3rd-level character, a 7th-level character, and a 9th-level character. We all contribute in different ways and none of us are left behind. We've had a lot of fun.
    If you're going to be an asshole, commit. Don't piss on me and tell me that it's raining.

  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •