Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Wonder Woman

  1. #16
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,023
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I read that for they majority of the Amazons, they cast athletes and fighters instead of actresses and models.

    -Hyp.


    Yep, and I think it was an excellent move. Makes the physiques/musculature and overall body movement far more believable. This article ran across my FB feed about the casting of the Amazons.

    Alduin's wings they did darken the sky
    His roar fury's fire and his scales sharpened scythes
    Men ran and they cowered
    And they fought and they died
    They burned and they bled as they issued their cries

    And if Alduin wins, man is gone from this world
    Lost in the shadow of the black wings unfurled

 

  • #17
    jowly Tabloid Believer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Province
    Yeah, right. You can't stalk me, yo!
    Oratio
    8,102
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Um, Hulk threw tanks. In.. like.. Age of Ultron, Ang Lee's Hulk... and I think he threw something like a tank in The Incredible Hulk.
    Totally forgot about Ang Lee's Hulk. It's been a minute since I've seen that movie. He doesn't actually throw a tank in Age of Ultron, though.

    Still, it was pretty gratifying to see. For me, throwing a tank satisfies my inner geek in a serious way. And Wonder Woman threw three!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Just got back from seeing it.

    Overall impression: Positive

    The Good: Acting is solid. Wonder Woman looked good. I liked the island and her origin story, though it was a bit vague. I thought there was solid character development. I cared about the characters.

    The Bad: Still lacking in an appropriate level of humor. The funniest scene in the movie is the secretary scenes, and her best scene is in the preview, which misleads the audience into thinking it's going to be that sort of movie. Alas, no. Most characters are full of angst. Most characters seem to view humanity as sad, depressed, petty, violent etc.. It's the view of some emo teenager. This matches the tone of the other DC films but that's not a positive.

    Overall the best DC movie since the Bale Batmans.
    I personally disagree about the appropriate level of humor. I thought Chris Pine's Steve Trevor brought the appropriate level of humor in the movie throughout. There's the bathing scene, the awkward boat scene, all of the scenes where Diana is trying to fit into society, etc. Now, the latter half of the movie is mostly devoid of humor because they are in the midist of WWI, which is pretty gritty. If they had a lot of humor after "things get real" I don't think it would have worked.

    But to your point, yes, the DC movies need to improve on their humor and angst levels overall. In fact, I would argue that most other blockbuster movies in general need to improve on that. A friend and I were talking and we remarked that we thought that one of the keys to success for the Marvel movies are that they are (gasp) fun!

    The Marvel movies aren't just funny, but also "fun" in that, for the most part, they don't take themselves too seriously and aren't afraid to poke fun at themselves. Compare them to the rest of the summer lineup for this summer and last summer. Blockbuster movies, apart from comedies, are injected with an overdose of gravitas and angst. Heck, even the Transformers trailer drips with darkness and turmoil.
    "You think Osama is regretting giving his personal information on the Playstation Network?" - Remathilis

  • #18
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,229
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabloid Believer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    He doesn't actually throw a tank in Age of Ultron, though.
    Yes, he does. During the assault on Baron Strucker's Hydra base at the beginning, Thor superhero lands in front of a tank (terrible for his knees), it flips over him, Iron Man blasts the treads off it, Hulk catches it, and then throws it off screen.

    A quick google of "age of ultron hulk throws tank" got me



    and the scene is literally in the first 3 seconds of the video, though you can't clearly see that Thor had just landed in front of it. It's also pretty hard in that video to see that it's a tank, but it is. A couple freeze frames and you can see the turret and the wheels that the treads were on.

    While we're on it, I love how the Hulk fights in the Avengers movies. Like an angry toddler smashing his toys.

  • #19
    jowly Tabloid Believer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Province
    Yeah, right. You can't stalk me, yo!
    Oratio
    8,102
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    It's also pretty hard in that video to see that it's a tank, but it is. A couple freeze frames and you can see the turret and the wheels that the treads were on.
    Ah! I gotcha. I didn't see that it was a tank. But yes, now that you point that out, I see it now.
    "You think Osama is regretting giving his personal information on the Playstation Network?" - Remathilis

  • #20
    Westworld Magnificent COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    36,629
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Saw it today and liked it, though I felt it didn't quite live up to my own level of expectation. I did really like that they didn't make the Amazons all "Hollywood pretty", but let them look fairly natural, scars and all. Points for some very good humorous bits.

    Loved Antiope best. Villains were a little....transparent? Cliche?

    Previews for Dunkirk and Atomic Blonde looked excellent! Will be eagerly awaiting those, I think.
    i was so hoping laila ali was one of the amazons.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

    I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

  • #21
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,023
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User



    These were pretty good. Text messages if Wonder Woman texted.

    Which I bet she wouldn't. I bet she'd be a fellow semi-Neo-Luddite and only use it when she really needed it to. Leave that techno-crap to Batman.

    Alduin's wings they did darken the sky
    His roar fury's fire and his scales sharpened scythes
    Men ran and they cowered
    And they fought and they died
    They burned and they bled as they issued their cries

    And if Alduin wins, man is gone from this world
    Lost in the shadow of the black wings unfurled

  • #22
    Yablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Oratio
    2,847
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Themyscira is actually a technologically very advance. The film doesn't do it justice.
    I am not Gary Busey.

  • #23
    COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Caesar Slaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Hollowfaust
    Oratio
    7,529
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    I liked it a lot. A little formulaic, but solid. The biggest drawback is I found the villain a bit weak dramatically speaking and possibly miscast.

    Setting it in WWI seemed like it worked out well.

    The beginning scenes with the amazons seemed a bit ground-breaking to me. You don't often see female characters debating war.
    Bold adventurers needed! Now recruiting adventures in the Scarred Lands!
    Slaad's Scarred Lands Pathfinder PbP: (Recruiting - IC - OOC - Characters)

    The Secret Volcano Base: my neglected RPG blog

  • #24
    madwabbit in disguise Underpants Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Oratio
    8,386
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Slaad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I liked it a lot. A little formulaic, but solid. The biggest drawback is I found the villain a bit weak dramatically speaking and possibly miscast.
    It was hard to see him as anything but Remus Lupin.

  • #25
    Love and Hate leopold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Province
    Mason Dixie Line
    Oratio
    2,844
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Underpants Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    It was hard to see him as anything but Remus Lupin.

    YUP
    Failed RPG Writer.

  • #26
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    27,811
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Underpants Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    It was hard to see him as anything but Remus Lupin.
    I liked him better as Remus. He wasn't as scary when he was a werewolf.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #27
    spine crushing lover Henricus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Oratio
    4,662
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    There was little to nothing I liked about Ares; as others have said, miscast, power set makes no sense...and did it not occur to him that attacking the daughter of Zeus with lightning might be a stupid move?
    I found Ares pretty appropriate -- he was nothing at all like what Diana (or the audience) expected, and (unless the viewer is a fan of history) his reason for his plan was not immediately apparent. I had him pegged as Ares from early on (the council scene, actually, as well as the whole 'god-killer' moment) and his plan was a real "paradise lost" kind of thing. As for the Lightning, I found that very appropriate, thematically; she showed no affinity for lightning powers prior to then, but Zeus' plan showed up in that moment which was pretty sweet.

    I found this movie easily better than pretty much any DC movie I've yet seen - all the Bale Batman films, and both of the Snyder Superman films easily.
    "I learned a long time ago, Reuven, that a blink of an eye in itself is nothing. But the eye that blinks, that is something. A span of life is nothing. But the man who lives that span, he is something. He can fill that tiny span with meaning, so its quality is immeasurable though its quantity may be insignificant. Do you understand what I am saying? A man must fill his life with meaning, meaning is not automatically given to life."

  • #28
    Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    14,779
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Saw it yesterday, enjoyed it. A lot better than the previous DC movies, I'd say it is on the level of many Marvel movies. Since it plays in a World War and the hero is using a shield a lot, I'd say it was better than the first Captain America movie, for example.

    It might be hard to follow up. One charm of this movie was also that she was new to the "real world" and its weird rules and rituals. That's probably not something she'll have in a movie set in modern times after she has spent decades in our world.

  • #29
    Love and Hate leopold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Province
    Mason Dixie Line
    Oratio
    2,844
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Henricus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.

    I found this movie easily better than pretty much any DC movie I've yet seen - all the Bale Batman films, and both of the Snyder Superman films easily.
    Christian Bale is dreamy and his movies are never bad. Even Shaft...
    Failed RPG Writer.

  • #30
    I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    26,483
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    It might be hard to follow up. One charm of this movie was also that she was new to the "real world" and its weird rules and rituals. That's probably not something she'll have in a movie set in modern times after she has spent decades in our world.
    I think seeing her evolve into not only the cunning warrior but a cagey leader will make for an interesting and different movie tone, and think that could be fun.

  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •