Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Kaby Lake Build

  1. #16
    Girls Gone Spoony! Spoony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Province
    Knoxville TN
    Oratio
    6,672

    Ignore User
    Let's be honest. I have all the parts and I'm assembling it now. It's already obsolete and it hasn't even been booted for the first time. Such is the way of computers. However, if it can run every game that comes out for the next six years I'll be happy.

 

  • #17
    I ordered a new computer, configuring it online, having it assembled and delivered to me. The only thing I had to install myself were the hard drives, since I wanted to keep using my existing ones. (A 1 GB SSD and a 2 TB Hard Disk)



    • CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 | 4x 3.60GHz, 8MB L3-Cache
    • Mainboard: ASUS B150M-A/M.2 | Intel B150, mATX
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | Palit JetStream
    • Ram: 16GB DDR4-2133 | 2x 8GB
    • Power Supply: 500W - be quiet! Straight Power E10 CM
    • CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

  • #18
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,346

    Ignore User
    I'm building my pc today, and am super pissed as it seems half the shit I want is currently sold out. I'm hunting around various websites trying to find ryzen 5 1600 and the gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 motherboard I want. I was planning on buying both at microcenter, but they sold the 1600 out.

    edit: Newegg got the motherboard back in stock, just ordered it. And I found that jet.com had 15% off your first 3 purchases when you sign up, and they had the 1600 in stock, so I saved 30 bucks on that. Now all my computer parts are scattered across 3 different online stores.

    Got:


    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    and
    GPU: GIGABYTE AORUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 GV-RX580AORUS-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card

    Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK - Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX RED Switches and Fully LED Backlit
    Last edited by Eldorian; April 18th, 2017 at 03:40 PM.

  • #19
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,346

    Ignore User
    And the shtistorm begins. First issue: Amazon sent me the wrong keyboard. I'm unsure if I'm gonna bother sending it back and trying to get the actual keyboard I ordered. This one seems fine. It's fullsize instead of compact (and I wanted a bit of space for my mousepad), and has brown switches instead of the red ones. Doesn't appear to be LED backlit, but I was gonna turn that off anyways. Emailing the seller now. edit: Thought I like this keyboard a lot actually. I might even prefer brown over red, haven't tried the red but from what I read the brown seems more in line with my typing style. I'm somewhat sloppy and the red is supposed ot increase mistypes.
    Last edited by Eldorian; April 18th, 2017 at 07:56 PM.

  • #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    I'm building my pc today, and am super pissed as it seems half the shit I want is currently sold out. I'm hunting around various websites trying to find ryzen 5 1600 and the gigabyte ab350 gaming 3 motherboard I want. I was planning on buying both at microcenter, but they sold the 1600 out.

    edit: Newegg got the motherboard back in stock, just ordered it. And I found that jet.com had 15% off your first 3 purchases when you sign up, and they had the 1600 in stock, so I saved 30 bucks on that. Now all my computer parts are scattered across 3 different online stores.

    Got:


    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    and
    GPU: GIGABYTE AORUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 GV-RX580AORUS-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card

    Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK - Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX RED Switches and Fully LED Backlit
    It looks like the Ryzen 5 1600 has the best price-to-performance ratio so far. Are you planning to overclock your CPU? It is interesting that, unlike Intel CPUs, Ryzen performance seems influenced by RAM speed. What factors led you to choosing this particular memory?

    I noticed your component list did not include a case. Are you reusing one? If so what is it? I'm always looking for a great case without speeding too much on it. Personally, I can do without a window.

  • #21
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,346

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Devoid View Post
    It looks like the Ryzen 5 1600 has the best price-to-performance ratio so far. Are you planning to overclock your CPU?
    Yes, to 3.8 or so. Basically what I can get away with, with the stock cooler. I might buy a tower cooler and take it 3.9 in the future.

    It is interesting that, unlike Intel CPUs, Ryzen performance seems influenced by RAM speed. What factors led you to choosing this particular memory?
    Actually, intel also responds more to memory than most people realize. I choose that particular kit because I was told on the amd reddit that it is overclockable to 3200 on my motherboard, and was significantly cheaper than the average kit that can hit 3200 edit: on my motherboard. I'll find out soon. So far Ryzen motherboards are hypersensitive to RAM, but bios fixes are in the works. If you're not in a hurry and are interested in Ryzen, I'd way for the May bios rollouts.

    I noticed your component list did not include a case. Are you reusing one? If so what is it? I'm always looking for a great case without speeding too much on it. Personally, I can do without a window.
    I'm reusing the Corsair case I bought a few years ago. I couldn't tell ya what model it is, I got it at microcenter for like 50 bucks. It's a mid tower with no windows and space for 7 external fans.

    I'm also building a computer with spare parts and a few new parts for my niece, with my brother's aid as well. This is the case I chose for her: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 That case is pretty nice other than it lacks fan slots on the top.

    I'm with you on windows. I have negative interest in seeing the internals of my pc, especially uninterested in LEDs.

    So far all my parts are set to arrive on Friday, other than my CPU, which has not shipped yet. I have low hopes for this week.
    Last edited by Eldorian; April 19th, 2017 at 09:06 PM.

  • #22
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,346

    Ignore User


    TL;DW memory frequency doesn't really start to make a difference until you're using a GTX 1070, and the effect is minimal there. When using a GTX 1080 it becomes noticeable and worthwhile. I'm still gonna attempt to overclock my memory, because why not.
    Last edited by Eldorian; April 20th, 2017 at 12:26 PM.

  • #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Yes, to 3.8 or so. Basically what I can get away with, with the stock cooler. I might buy a tower cooler and take it 3.9 in the future.
    I was planning on seeing how far the stock cooler would go also before getting a better one. Which tower cooler have you considered? As for tower coolers, a few years ago I would have considered Noctua NH-D14, but it is rather expensive and one of the most massive air coolers around (yet still smaller than the D15!). But they are very quiet. Maybe Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo (Dual fan) to save money (44.99 - $10 with mail-in rebate on Newegg). It might not be that much better than the stock cooler. If so, I might just forget about replacing it. I need to find comparative reviews first anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Actually, intel also responds more to memory than most people realize. I choose that particular kit because I was told on the amd reddit that it is overclockable to 3200 on my motherboard, and was significantly cheaper than the average kit that can hit 3200 edit: on my motherboard. I'll find out soon. So far Ryzen motherboards are hypersensitive to RAM, but bios fixes are in the works. If you're not in a hurry and are interested in Ryzen, I'd way for the May bios rollouts.
    I wasn't aware that that particular kit was capable of overclocking to 3200. I won't likely start building until late May / early June, unless my old Q6600 (from 2007) dies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    I'm reusing the Corsair case I bought a few years ago. I couldn't tell ya what model it is, I got it at microcenter for like 50 bucks. It's a mid tower with no windows and space for 7 external fans.

    I'm also building a computer with spare parts and a few new parts for my niece, with my brother's aid as well. This is the case I chose for her: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 That case is pretty nice other than it lacks fan slots on the top.

    I'm with you on windows. I have negative interest in seeing the internals of my pc, especially uninterested in LEDs.
    I was looking at the Fractal Design Define S if I start using an external optical drive. But it could use a top dust filter, and I would have preferred the bottom filter to be accessible from the front like the R5. If they were to update the design, I would like to see 1-2 USB 3.1 type C ports in addition to the 2 USB 3.0 Type A ports.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    So far all my parts are set to arrive on Friday, other than my CPU, which has not shipped yet. I have low hopes for this week.
    Let me know how the assembly and OC tweaking progressed. I am also interested how difficult it was to configure your case fans to achieve a somewhat positive air pressure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post


    TL;DW memory frequency doesn't really start to make a difference until you're using a GTX 1070, and the effect is minimal there. When using a GTX 1080 it becomes noticeable and worthwhile. I'm still gonna attempt to overclock my memory, because why not.
    This was precisely the review I was looking for! I have been watching this channel for additional Ryzen info earlier last week. I'm glad he came out with this one.

  • #24
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,346

    Ignore User
    Looks like the 212 evo with single fan is enough for stable 4.0 OC on the 1600, assuming you do well in the silicon lottery and your chip can do 4.0. I can find a youtube video for ya...



    The stock cooler can do 4.0 but gets too hot. I'm not going to exceed 1.35v with the stock cooler.

    Btw posting from my new computer. Jet.com finally gave me the tracking number for my CPU hours after the USPS had delivered it, go figure. Haven't done any overclocking yet as I'm working on reinstalling windows and getting my niece's computer working. I should have more to say latter in the day. I've made a bit of effort getting a clean case, this time, with the wires and such fed thru the back and out of the way. I have 7 case fans on it, 2 in front and 2 in the side intake, and 2 on top and 1 on the back exhaust. My gpu intakes from inside and exhausts out, as does my PSU (it's technically upside down, but you should install it upside down if your pc rests on carpet).

    I found a guide on case fans... http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/69...hould-you-have Honestly I was fine with 3, but I bought a box of 4 fans, thinking I'd need at least 1 or 2 for my niece's pc, but her case came with 3 fans, and 3 fans are all that it can take, so I put all of them in my case. Her case, that I linked to before, is big enough to fit a tower cooler if you're interested in it. The door, however has room for only 1 fan if you have a tower cooler and a full size power supply in it. So hers has a case fan in the front, back, and side.

  • #25
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,346

    Ignore User
    Been playing with overclocking, doesn't look like I can get 3.9 on the stock cooler without peaking over 80c. Gonna continue stress testing 3.9 until I get at least a stable overclock. Then I'll dial it back to 3.8.

    Memory overclocking is next.

    Got 3.8 stable, and memory to 2933 (what they call 3000). I'm done playing around with overclocking until at least the next bios update.
    Last edited by Eldorian; April 23rd, 2017 at 03:01 PM.

  • #26
    Cha is my dump stat imperialus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Province
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Oratio
    2,077

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    And the shtistorm begins. First issue: Amazon sent me the wrong keyboard. I'm unsure if I'm gonna bother sending it back and trying to get the actual keyboard I ordered. This one seems fine. It's fullsize instead of compact (and I wanted a bit of space for my mousepad), and has brown switches instead of the red ones. Doesn't appear to be LED backlit, but I was gonna turn that off anyways. Emailing the seller now. edit: Thought I like this keyboard a lot actually. I might even prefer brown over red, haven't tried the red but from what I read the brown seems more in line with my typing style. I'm somewhat sloppy and the red is supposed ot increase mistypes.
    I've been using a Logitech G710+ for several years now and I love it. I do quite a bit of typing and the feel of the browns is fantastic for that. Reds are a pain in the ass to type on, and blue's are a pain for any sort of quick reflex gaming (not that I do much of that) so browns seem to fill a perfect middle ground.

  • #27
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,346

    Ignore User
    Feeling better and better about my R5 1600 purchase. The new intel parts have really dropped the ball.


  • #28
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,346

    Ignore User
    I bought this card at release for $220. It's $740 currently. Crypto mining is insane.

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA85V5VV1367

  • #29
    guyjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    7,986

    Ignore User
    So Spoony, how are you feeling about the Intel proc purchase post-Meltdown?

  • #30
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,346

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    So Spoony, how are you feeling about the Intel proc purchase post-Meltdown?
    Seems only to be a big deal for servers.

  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •