Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Russian Trump Thread

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWick View Post
    It's like Comey coming out in the days before the election and saying "We're reopening the Clinton case. There may or may not be something there." And there wasn't, but the story that came out in the media sure made it seem like there was. Do you get my argument?
    It's dumb argument. Comey saying he's opening the case is news whether you want to talk about it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    It's dumb argument. Comey saying he's opening the case is news whether you want to talk about it or not.
    I guess I'm just not willing to settle for news filled with speculation and spurious arguments. *shrugs*
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. - Douglas Adams

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I guess I'm just not willing to settle for news filled with speculation and spurious arguments. *shrugs*
    Fucking hell dude. Are you really going to go the retarded route here? Are you really going to say that it wasn't news and that it shouldn't have been reported?
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Fucking hell dude. Are you really going to go the retarded route here? Are you really going to say that it wasn't news and that it shouldn't have been reported?
    I guess I'm honestly not sure what I want out of the news, but endless speculation about stuff that may or may not turn into something (but is often presented as "this thing actually happening! OMG!") isn't it. I read enough to get a sense of what's going on in the world, but I tune out all of the endless theorizing because it comes across as so much intellectual masturbation. Maybe you have a different read on it, but the article that was linked to felt like news cycle popcorn.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I think a lot of the problem that I have is with the 24-hour news cycle, and that ever present need to fill up air time with "news". Some things just need to be reported on a few times initially, then again when new developments happen. Not an endless stream of updates informing the audience of every stray word or thought or idle bit of speculation that comes out of everybody and anybody who might even be slightly adjacent to a story.
    Last edited by RedWick; March 24th, 2017 at 01:23 PM.
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. - Douglas Adams

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I guess I'm honestly not sure what I want out of the news, but endless speculation about stuff that may or may not turn into something (but is often presented as "this thing actually happening! OMG!") isn't it. I read enough to get a sense of what's going on in the world, but I tune out all of the endless theorizing because it comes across as so much intellectual masturbation. Maybe you have a different read on it, but the article that was linked to felt like news cycle popcorn.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I think a lot of the problem that I have is with the 24-hour news cycle, and that ever present need to fill up air time with "news". Some things just need to be reported on a few times initially, then again when new developments happen. Not an endless stream of updates informing the audience of every stray word or thought or idle bit of speculation that comes out of everybody and anybody who might even be slightly adjacent to a story.
    I think there's two different things being discussed here.

Comey saying he's re-opening the investigation because of new evidence is news. Op-ed pieces discussing this news are not news. I'm talking about the news being reported, and it seems to me that you're conflating opinion pieces as being news.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I think there's two different things being discussed here.

Comey saying he's re-opening the investigation because of new evidence is news. Op-ed pieces discussing this news are not news. I'm talking about the news being reported, and it seems to me that you're conflating opinion pieces as being news.
    You're right. It was a bad example to use.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You're right. It was a bad example to use.
    No it wasn't. The initial reporting? Fine. The endless dogfuckery that the media made of it? That shit needs to die.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    No it wasn't. The initial reporting? Fine. The endless dogfuckery that the media made of it? That shit needs to die.
    It was a bad example because I *only* referenced Comey's statement, and not the media's reaction and speculation surrounding it.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Two different things. News and op-ed. The op-ed needs to die. Like visitors to your killing floor.
    GreyOne - "At what point do enough innocent bodies stack up where you decide your Second Amendment isn't worth the paper required to wipe a medium-sized bowel movement?"

Ovinomancer - "As for your questions, more."

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    ...Edit: Just wanted to add that I think a lot of the problem that I have is with the 24-hour news cycle, and that ever present need to fill up air time with "news". Some things just need to be reported on a few times initially, then again when new developments happen. Not an endless stream of updates informing the audience of every stray word or thought or idle bit of speculation that comes out of everybody and anybody who might even be slightly adjacent to a story.
    I'll second this. The constant dribble of information ends up providing a "Boy who cried wolf" phenomenon, where people become disinterested with a story well before it can develop into something that can really inform the populace. As a result, the populace as a whole gets less able to tell fact from speculation, and we end up with gems like people just not caring that Clinton (Bill) lied under oath in order to cover up an affair with Lewinsky, the bullshit with Kerry's Swiftboating, the persistent Birther cohort, and Trump winning the GOP nomination.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    I'll second this. The constant dribble of information ends up providing a "Boy who cried wolf" phenomenon, where people become disinterested with a story well before it can develop into something that can really inform the populace. As a result, the populace as a whole gets less able to tell fact from speculation, and we end up with gems like people just not caring that Clinton (Bill) lied under oath in order to cover up an affair with Lewinsky, the bullshit with Kerry's Swiftboating, the persistent Birther cohort, and Trump winning the GOP nomination.
    Who gets to decide what the news is?

For example, Nunes going to Trump to discuss some aspect of the investigation would be news right?

The reveal that Comey was talking about possible collusion between Trump surrogates and Russia would be news right?

Trump puts this notion of "news" to bed. The man is literally a news-making machine. Everything he does is seemingly corrupt, disruptive, ignorant or fucked up.

Wouldn't Clinton have been a nicer problem?
    GreyOne - "At what point do enough innocent bodies stack up where you decide your Second Amendment isn't worth the paper required to wipe a medium-sized bowel movement?"

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yeah, that's mostly your histrionics that I'm ignoring.

Yup. Irrespective of anything you deem "dogshit". Particularly if it's from the Huffpost.
    You are an Avatar of Stupidity.

Two things:

1 - We don't have one of those. The media is either in someone's pocket or so ideologically entrenched I don't trust them to accurately report on the color of the sky.

And 2 - No, they have no rights to jack shit nor do I expect them to ever get to the bottom of anything. Ever.
    Oh look, nail bunny is playing his part here on CM: Reminding us all of his cynical world-view. Joy! Joy!

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    Who gets to decide what the news is?

For example, Nunes going to Trump to discuss some aspect of the investigation would be news right?

The reveal that Comey was talking about possible collusion between Trump surrogates and Russia would be news right?

Trump puts this notion of "news" to bed. The man is literally a news-making machine. Everything he does is seemingly corrupt, disruptive, ignorant or fucked up.

Wouldn't Clinton have been a nicer problem?
    This is the conservative in me talking, but using the work of Cronkite and Murrow as the standard would be a good start. So would the reporting and preparation used by Woodward & Bernstein.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    This is the conservative in me talking, but using the work of Cronkite and Murrow as the standard would be a good start. So would the reporting and preparation used by Woodward & Bernstein.
    I don't disagree with any of that.

But again Trump is a different paradigm when it comes to news. How do you meet it?

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    I don't disagree with any of that.

But again Trump is a different paradigm when it comes to news. How do you meet it?
    Is he a new paradigm, or has he matched himself up with the current one?

• Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast