Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Results 121 to 132 of 132

Thread: Game of Thrones, Season 7 (SPOILERS!)

  1. #121
    Maxperson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Oratio
    1,297
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I thought that was one of the better notes. Of course Littlefinger is not above begging!

    Sent fra min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk
    Yeah. That was the best part of that incredibly rushed ending of that story arc. It would be totally in character for him to beg. He was a coward from the beginning of the series.

 

  • #122

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Province
    Cape Town
    Oratio
    193
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Apparently there have been dragon eggs around for awhile but they were considered dead or petrified. Dany hatching those three was essentially a unique event. It's also pretty clear that there is a connection between dragons, the walkers, winter, and magic. It was always hinted at in the books that one doesn't happen without the other and that it's no coincidence that all these events are happening at the same time.
    The only semi-plausible explanation I can come up with why there was this sudden 'rise of magic' now was because of the mixing of the 'magic' bloodline Targaryan (dragons) and Stark (warging and greensight).

    I'm thinking the birth (or conception) of Jon Snow was what awakened the Night King to start building his immortal army, using Craster's male offspring as well as allowing for the birth of the dragons by Daenerys with that ritual. If not, the why did the Night King just not attack earlier - especially during Robert's Rebellion when the world was already in mass turmoil? Something was a catalyst for this awakening/rise of magic and since blood is an important factor, as indicated by GRRM in these books, I figure it was the merging of two powerful/magically-inclined lineages.

    Ofc I could be overthinking it.
    Last edited by Sadras; September 5th, 2017 at 01:27 PM.

  • #123
    COMMUNITY SUPPORTER reveal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Oratio
    32,369
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

    Workman Publishing Company
    225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

  • #124
    Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    14,771
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    The only semi-plausible explanation I can come up with why there was this sudden 'rise of magic' now was because of the mixing of the 'magic' bloodline Targaryan (dragons) and Stark (warging and greensight).

    I'm thinking the birth (or conception) of Jon Snow was what awakened the Night King to start building his immortal army, using Craster's male offspring as well as allowing for the birth of the dragons by Daenerys with that ritual. If not, the why did the Night King just not attack earlier - especially during Robert's Rebellion when the world was already in mass turmoil? Something was a catalyst for this awakening/rise of magic and since blood is an important factor, as indicated by GRRM in these books, I figure it was the merging of two powerful/magically-inclined lineages.

    Ofc I could be overthinking it.
    I thought the theory was that the return of the dragons is the trigger, but it seems the Wildlings were already realizing an increase in wight activity before that. Or did they?

    Who knows, maybe the Night King really knew that he needed to turn a Dragon to get over the wall, and so had to wait until one became available.

  • #125
    Haulin ass shiningbrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    4,601
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Wow. "What the Knight King knew..." The whole question of dead people having an epistemology just melted my brain. And I'm alive. It's been a while since I read the books, but does GRRM ever explain how or why there's an army of cold dead people marching around?
    Last edited by shiningbrow; September 5th, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

  • #126
    Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    14,771
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Wow. "What the Knight King knew..." The whole question of dead people having an epistemology just melted my brain. And I'm alive. It's been a while since I read the books, but does GRRM ever explain how or why there's an army of cold dead people marching around?
    IIRC, the Children of the Forest created them to fight humans, but things went wrong.

  • #127
    too much cheesecake Hypersmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Oratio
    9,280
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Wow. "What the Knight King knew..." The whole question of dead people having an epistemology just melted my brain. And I'm alive. It's been a while since I read the books, but does GRRM ever explain how or why there's an army of cold dead people marching around?
    Isn't there a line where Ygritte confesses to Jon that the Wildlings awoke the undead by digging up barrows looking for the Horn of Winter?

    ... here we go. "We never found the Horn of Winter. We opened half a hundred graves and let all those shades loose in the world, and never found the Horn of Joramun to bring this cold thing down!"

    Or maybe I've been misreading that all these years. I read "let all those shades loose" as "unleashed the White Walkers", but maybe it's a superstitious 'disturbed the rest of the spirits' phrase, not a literal let-something-loose.

    -Hyp.

  • #128
    Haulin ass shiningbrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    4,601
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Isn't there a line where Ygritte confesses to Jon that the Wildlings awoke the undead by digging up barrows looking for the Horn of Winter?

    ... here we go. "We never found the Horn of Winter. We opened half a hundred graves and let all those shades loose in the world, and never found the Horn of Joramun to bring this cold thing down!"

    Or maybe I've been misreading that all these years. I read "let all those shades loose" as "unleashed the White Walkers", but maybe it's a superstitious 'disturbed the rest of the spirits' phrase, not a literal let-something-loose.

    -Hyp.
    That seems to explain why their ghosts would be running around but animate dead bodies is a stretch. "Horn of winter," makes me think they could get poor dead Lee Morgan to do a cameo. It might make those whitewalkers a bit more sympathetic, and explain why the wildings would risk digging up 100s of graves to find this horn.

    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

  • #129
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    2,992
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by reveal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.

    Gendry needs to medal in rowing, too.
    Spring spirit-dancer, nimble and thin
    I will leap like Coyote when I go
    Tireless entrancer, lend me your skin
    I will run like the gray wolf when I go

    I will climb the rise at daybreak, I will kiss the sky at noon
    Raise my yearning voice at midnight to my mother in the moon
    I will make the lay of long defeat and draw the chorus slow
    I'll send this message down the wire
    Hope that someone wise is listening
    When I go

  • #130
    EVOLVED: extra chromosome! Zappo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Patavium, Gallia Transpadana
    Oratio
    3,349
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Wow. "What the Knight King knew..." The whole question of dead people having an epistemology just melted my brain. And I'm alive. It's been a while since I read the books, but does GRRM ever explain how or why there's an army of cold dead people marching around?
    The Children of the Forest engineered a bioweapon to wipe out humans, and promptly lost control of it.
    You say that I am testing the gods' patience? Oh... I'd rather call myself an experimental theologian.
    Factol Terrance

  • #131

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Province
    Cape Town
    Oratio
    193
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I thought the theory was that the return of the dragons is the trigger, but it seems the Wildlings were already realizing an increase in wight activity before that. Or did they?
    First episode and the way the book starts off - wights are encountered by the Night's Watch, leading to a deserter which Ned promptly executes. Dragon eggs hatched comes much later. The White Walkers were very much awake before the dragon's hatched.

    Who knows, maybe the Night King really knew that he needed to turn a Dragon to get over the wall, and so had to wait until one became available.
    That seems like the only possible explanation,i.e. the Night King has greensight (Bran's ability).
    However this is also dumb as then it would be easy to stop him from gaining a dragon, Bran could have told them not to go north otherwise the undead army gains a dracolich.

    It doesn't matter the producers fucked around so much with this show, it is what it is. Let us just hope GRRM finishes the fucking books.

  • #132
    Leeland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Oratio
    42
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    I always liked to think the mana-level of the world is on a sinus-curve.
    Dragons grew smaller and smaller as more magic was leaving the world.
    The white walker became powerless and had to stay far in the north to survive.
    All the priests stoped being able to do miracles.

    But now the tide is turning, mana is flowing back in the world and we see Dragons, wounders and priestly power rising up again.
    Bad part is the power of the "evil sides" (like the white walkers or the queens pet necromancer) is also growing stronger/coming back.
    Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance.

  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •