Thread: The Expanse

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Thanks. I'd rep you for that, but I'm fresh out.

I had a horrible head cold that kept me in bed for days. I blasted through the first 4 books. Now I have to get back to my regular life.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Thanks. I'd rep you for that, but I'm fresh out.

I had a horrible head cold that kept me in bed for days. I blasted through the first 4 books. Now I have to get back to my regular life.
    No problem!

Actually I'm revisiting something I said...

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    But welcome to the "The Books Are Better" club. Your hat and membership badge are in the mail.
    I'm not sure the books really are better. Different yes... and at least I find book Bobby to be far, far superior to show Bobby, but otherwise the show actually tightens up some areas of the plot that is very... loose and full of holes. Inversely the book can afford to "waste" multiple chapters on Ganymede's slow death which is also quit nice.

I've been wondering how much of this is "making the show for audience sensibilities" and how much is "the authors are patching things for the show version", as the two book authors are a part of the show's writing team (and producers).
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    And so that wraps season 2 and about roughly the halfway point of book 2.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    So, episode 13 was the end of season 2?

I agree with you about the books not necessarily being better. The writing is competent but not exceptional. It gets the job done. I also agree with you about Roberta Draper's character as the tv series has addressed her so far. She's much more well developed in the books. Maybe subsequent episodes will address this.
    Last edited by shiningbrow; April 21st, 2017 at 01:12 PM.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    The Draper actress is such an incredibly bad casting choice. There is nothing about her that is good, from her likeness to the character in the books, or to her atrocious "acting" ability. I genuinely don't get how she was so miscast. Whoever made that decision needs to never work again on any show, ever.
    "Cunt. A word that sounds like a tennis ball hitting a racket in the sweet spot." ~ shiningbrow

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    But, how do you REALLY feel about her?

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    So, episode 13 was the end of season 2?
    That's what "wraps" means. Yeah, there are a lot of loose ends this season, but i expect that just means they'll be getting right into next season.

They'll finish decrypting the data core and discover the second secret research base (where May is being kept), Jupiter/Eros will continue doing it's thing, and Avasarala will return and kick Errinwright in the balls so hard his ancestors and progeny will feel it 7 generations up and down.

I also agree with you about Roberta Draper's character as the tv series has addressed her so far. She's much more well developed in the books.
    It's not about development, it's about attitude. Show Draper has been pouty, whiny, and insolent. She doesn't act like a marine, she acts like a spoiled brat. And I was hoping the ship fight would be a brutal affair finally displaying how badass Bobby Draper is supposed to be... but it didn't.

I lay this blame at the feet of the director and writers. And probably budget constraints.

I've come to terms with them not casting someone who physically resembles Book Draper, I get that that can be hard. I can't even think of any actresses that look like Book Draper is supposed to... maybe with a time machine they could get Chyna from the '80's... or Lucy Lawless...

Honestly, they should have cast her the way the original WWF was cast, go to a gym and find someone and give them a shot.

Maybe subsequent episodes will address this.
    Unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    ... her atrocious "acting" ability.
    As with other terible characters of late, I'm not sure how much is bad acting and how much is bad writting/directing, so until she acts terribly someone else, I'm willing to blame the script and director.

I genuinely don't get how she was so miscast. Whoever made that decision needs to never work again on any show, ever.
    See how much intelligent you sound when you agree with me?

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    See how much intelligent you sound when you agree with me?
    You can't even tell the difference between bad acting and writing, which is about the most obvious type of difference there can be in a show. So anything I say sounds intelligent when compared to what you're saying. I could say shit is warm and I like to lick it, and I'd still be showing myself to be 50 IQ points higher than you.
    "Cunt. A word that sounds like a tennis ball hitting a racket in the sweet spot." ~ shiningbrow

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    You can't even tell the difference between bad acting and writing, which is about the most obvious type of difference there can be in a show
    So you think the script honestly called for her to act like Book Draper and not act like a whiny, petulant child? Sure, she moght be a terrible actor, or maybe she acting in exactly the manner she's being directed to.

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. For now.

Province
    US
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I'm about to binge the second season of this, anyone got a link to a good season one recap? edit: I've seen the one with cats.
    Last edited by Eldorian; April 30th, 2017 at 12:05 AM.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    I'm about to binge the second season of this, anyone got a link to a good season one recap? edit: I've seen the one with cats.
    A ship gets blowed up (ironically a titanic that had an iceberg already in it) because some half-asian hippy chick with daddy issues joined the IRA OPA. Slim Dick got a hard-on for finding her and feel in love along the way. Too bad, so sad she was dead. Mostly. Not quite. Okay she was totes still alive somehow, and they end up makin out with Jupiter as the backdrop rushing up to kiss them off forever.

Back to the castaways on their 3 hour tour... Instead of settling down on some deserted tropical asteroid they stole salvaged a Martian PT Boat from it's destroyer before it could be destroyed. Crewed by Don Quixote Whitey McPrivelege, Foxy Blackness, a Sociopathic Mechanic, and Red-Texas McFlyboy.

Along the way to tracking down the stealth ship that slagged their iceberg tender they meet a black dude who runs his own shipyards. He's totes with the OPAs even though he once was once an British Earther General and burned down an asteroid full of OomPA-loompas. He feels real guilty about it. So guilty he completely had to join them and show them best how to run their shit. Earthers mang, what ya gon do?

So Slim Dick saves the Castaways when they gets ambushed at hippy chick's pay-by-the-hour motel on Space Las Vegas and then just joins 'em on account his hippy love chick is dead from the blue crystal plague (but she was secretly not deads!) and he figures the shitheads that did it also were the same shitheads that blew up the Titanic. Later they find a tablet that confirms it was her daddy issues behind everything, but by then Not-Quixote and Slim are irradiated and dying but the rest of the Castaways save them by just not leaving before they can crawl to the ship. HEROISM!

Foxy figures out where the stealth ships and Space Herpes scientists are hiding and everyone (except Cutty - but he sends his boys) goes there to curb stomp their shit. The curb gets covered in scientist teeth. Slim pops the lead scientist 'cause "Someone would have just used him to keep spreadin the Space Herpes" but the OomPAs still manage to save a few scientists (but somehow only end up with one???).

Then everyone (again except Cutty, but again he sends boys) heads back to Space Vegas to nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. So then OomPAs and Slim start planting bombs all over it. But S.Vegas gets all hot and bothered by the attention and starts running for Earth to spread the love around. Earth launches all of it's nukes at S.Vegas but then gave Cutty all the missile control codes because like, sure why the fuck not, and when they miss Cutty and his OomPAs steal a bunch before they can self-destruct. In fine old fashioned tradition, Earth Gov just armed the terrorists.

Anyway Slim gets itchy feet and drags a bomb deep into the heart of Vegas cause he got a death wish since daddy issues died. Whoa, like there is daddy issues and she's still alive! They tongue dance and she decides to spread her Space Herpes all over Jupiter instead of earth.

The End.
    Last edited by nail bunny; April 30th, 2017 at 07:55 AM.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    . Whoa, like there is daddy issues and she's still alive! They tongue dance and she decides to spread her Space Herpes all over VENUS instead of earth.

The End.
    Excellent synopsis, except the final planet (fify). That Space Herpes. The plot gift that keeps on giving.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Excellent synopsis, except the final planet (fify). That Space Herpes. The plot gift that keeps on giving.
    My bad. The honeymooned on the planet of love not the supreme lord of heavens.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Zeus was a sky god which is why you had to provide him with burnt offerings. I guess the scent of burning meat somehow regaled him. And maybe, as gods writ small, that's why most of us just love a good barbeque.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Zeus was a sky god which is why you had to provide him with burnt offerings. I guess the scent of burning meat somehow regaled him. And maybe, as gods writ small, that's why most of us just love a good barbeque.
    And Hades a Cthonic, which is where pit barbecuing comes from. Also for the Olympians* you had to barbecue the offerings on a raised platform, thus up off the ground. I suspect a modern BBQ grill would suffice.

* By "sky god" you mean Olympian, which meant living above the sky. Cthonic inversely meant living below the earth.

• Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast