Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Weird Stuff for Lunch

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I think I ate some bad, bad salad yesterday. Damnit. It's not agreeing with me at all today.
    Last edited by kirinke; March 8th, 2017 at 12:16 PM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Today, I slow cooked a pork tenderloin in pina colada/coconut cream sauce paired with coleslaw. It was wonderful.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Reheating my thai based green bean tofu curry over basmati rice.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I cooked up some boneless pork chops on Sunday. I first marinated them in soft apple cider for 8 or so hours, then patted them dry and dusted them with Chupracabra Creole Seasoning, fresh thyme and scallions. Popped them in the oven at 350 until nicely roasted. Today, I took some of the leftovers, sliced them thin and put them on a sandwich. YUM!

You can use hard apple cider as well, I just wanted to try the soft cider.

It was excellent.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Finished off the corned beef and cabbage from a few days ago with ramen noodles. Very tasty.
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    There was a Chinese noodle restaurant on NY's upper west side that I used to frequent. They made this very good noodle dish with garlic, vegetables (I think broccoli was the main ingredient), vermicelli, and pignoli.

I made an approximation of it with angel hair pasta, very thinly sliced zucchini (julienned into 2 inch long thin strips), minced onion, a few sliced cloves of garlic and toasted pignoli. It's really very good. I cook the onion until it's translucent and just begins to color, add the garlic until it's cooked then throw in the zucchini, toss the whole, then add toasted pignoli. At the end, I toss in the cooked pasta and toss it until the flavors have melded. You need a wide pan like a wok or a paella pan to have enough surface area to cook this. Soy sauce is important as the vehicle for salting it. It reheats well, too.

I hadn't made this in quite a while but recently, I got a good quantity of zucchini and so I had the leftovers for lunch. I was going to make zucchini bread with the rest, but think I'll make another batch of the pasta for dinner instead.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I just had cold asparagus for breakfast (yes, brekkie at 2pm). Tasty.
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I made an approximation of it with angel hair pasta, very thinly sliced zucchini (julienned into 2 inch long thin strips), minced onion, a few sliced cloves of garlic and toasted pignoli. It's really very good. I cook the onion until it's translucent and just begins to color, add the garlic until it's cooked then throw in the zucchini, toss the whole, then add toasted pignoli. At the end, I toss in the cooked pasta and toss it until the flavors have melded. You need a wide pan like a wok or a paella pan to have enough surface area to cook this. Soy sauce is important as the vehicle for salting it. It reheats well, too..
    That sounds yummy.
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. - Douglas Adams

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I made some steaks tonight, cooked in Chimi Churri sauce. Tomorrow, I'm having the other steak for lunch.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I had to go up to Couer d'Alene today, so I took the opportunity to have lunch at my favorite Japanese place. Everything they do is super delicious, and they're awesome people.

In addition to my seafood udon, I indulged my love for nigiri sashimi. My absolute fave is yellowtail (hamachi), but I had something that I'd never had until now....escolar! It's also called "butterfish" because the species doesn't process the ester oils in the stuff it eats, so they remain in the flesh. It is absolutely freakin' delicious, but when I got home I wanted to know more about it, and it turns out there can be....hmmm, shall we say, "disastrous side effects" from eating it. Basically, you end up having uncontrollable episodes of farting/shitting oil. This guy's article talks about it, and is pretty darn funny. The comments are, per the usual, comedic freakin' gold.

I'm glad I didn't have too much; apparently the key to not getting a prodigious bout of oilfarts is keeping consumption under 6 oz. in one sitting. But it is sooooo good. I could see how consuming more might be worth the, um, price you might pay.

The law can never make you free, for look who makes the laws.
    Sure sharks make rules that sweep those little fish into their jaws,
    and god will never make you free, for look who speaks for god.
    The shepherd fleeces every lamb he guided with his rod.

The only friend that poor folk have is truth that can't be killed,
    for victory goes not to the strong, but mainly to the skilled.
    So always question what you're told and ask who does it serve,
    and if that someone isn't you, give 'em what they deserve.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Well, if you got constipation, that might be a delicious way to solve your problem.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Put a version of cock-a-leekie soup in the slow cooker from the farm house delivery site. They use pasta with theirs instead of rice or barley. Pretty darned simple. A couple of carrots, some celery, leeks of course, chicken, white wine and chicken broth. Slow cooked for 7 or so hours. Last 10 minutes plop in the pasta.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Adding a slice or two of the pickled onions from a dish of pickled herring to some cheese and crackers is delightful.

Also, pickled herring. Mmmmmm....pickled herring.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Never had herring pickled or otherwise. Is it a strong tasting fish?

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Never had herring pickled or otherwise. Is it a strong tasting fish?
    Nope, it's delicious. I also like kippered herring. Herring is pretty common, you have probably had it and not known it.

They're colloquially called "the silver darlin's" because they were such a food and commerce staple in Scotland.

• Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast