Page 9 of 193 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272859109 ... LastLast

Thread: Living Under the Boot Heel of Our New Orange Overlord

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    Trump abandoned the TPP today.

The TPP would have saved me 16% of all our imports. That savings would have helped offset the massive increase in wages and workers compensation we're seeing from the rise in minimum wage here (which has upward pressure on all wages, even those not even close to the minimum).

Fuck you Mr. President. The impact of this, combined with the minimum wage increase, is that I have to buy MORE overseas, not less. I will have fewer employees here, not more.
    It was our last shot at a hedge against complete domination by the Chinese in Pacific regional trade.
    Trump is just Putin's little bitch.

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Trump abandoned the TPP today.

The TPP would have saved me 16% of all our imports. That savings would have helped offset the massive increase in wages and workers compensation we're seeing from the rise in minimum wage here (which has upward pressure on all wages, even those not even close to the minimum).

Fuck you Mr. President. The impact of this, combined with the minimum wage increase, is that I have to buy MORE overseas, not less. I will have fewer employees here, not more.
    Don't worry. I'm sure the Republicans in Congress will fix it by lowering the minimum wage or some bullshit.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
    It was our last shot at a hedge against complete domination by the Chinese in Pacific regional trade.
    Eh, fuck the Chinese. I'm buying from Viet Nam this year I am also seeing an uptick in Cambodia and Laos. China is definitely seeing regional competition now.
    I like hats.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    Don't worry. I'm sure the Republicans in Congress will fix it by lowering the minimum wage or some bullshit.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    In Los Angeles? Good luck with that. You can raise the minimum wage nationally to override local and state wage laws, but you cannot lower it below local and state wage laws. If you could, it would already be lower. National minimum wage is $7.25 I believe. Local minimum wage is $10.50 right now, going up to $15 by increasing gradually $1/hr each year. Not a lot the Feds can do about that. I just wish local and State entities were forced to preference companies that make the products they're buying in a State with the same or similar wage laws. Out of one side of the mouth State entities talk about paying a living wage and raise the wages, and out of the other side their departments buy everything from companies in states with the Federal minimum wage. Because, surprise surprise, buying shit from a state with lower wages makes it cheaper, and they have an obligation to the taxpayers to buy their products cheaper, right?

This leads to all of LA Unified School District buying their robes from a company based in Indiana, where the minimum wage is $7.25 (because they are cheaper), while simultaneously supporting a local minimum wage of $15 and not buying locally (because they're slightly more expensive). Must be nice to have your cake and eat it too.
    Last edited by Mistwell; January 23rd, 2017 at 07:06 PM.
    I like hats.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    ...This leads to all of LA Unified School District buying their robes from a company based in Indiana, where the minimum wage is $7.25 (because they are cheaper), while simultaneously supporting a local minimum wage of $15 and not buying locally (because they're slightly more expensive). Must be nice to have your cake and eat it too.
    Irony.

Honestly I think it's 50/50 that big business will raise a fuss, some finagling around the edges will happen to the TPP that will have little material impact, and then Trump will reintroduce it saying that thanks to his tremendous negotiating skills, he's made America Great Once Again, and it will sail through Congress.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    And he made it happen by withdrawing from the TPP moments ago. China will now control all Pacific trade, and there's not a thing we can do about it any more.

I blame the left for this moronic move. It was in the grasp and the extreme left got protectionist, allowing China to be well on its way to being the major world superpower of trade.
    Fuck off. Anyone who supported the TPP is a cunt and a piece of shit. You would fuck over the majority for the benefit of the 1%. Fucking ignorant twat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Fuck off. Anyone who supported the TPP is a cunt and a piece of shit. You would fuck over the majority for the benefit of the 1%. Fucking ignorant twat.
    Everybody would have benefited, just as all analysis of the results of NAFTA shows it did for us.

Free trade is best.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Yeah cause me, and all my employees, we're all the 1%. Nobody buys their products from Asia except the 1%, right? Boy, China sure has been cranking up their company by selling to just 1% of the potential market. Imagine they could have doubled their GDP by just expanding to selling to the 2%!
    I like hats.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Everybody would have benefited, just as all analysis of the results of NAFTA shows it did for us.

Free trade is best.
    Tell that to Detroit.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    Tell that to Detroit.
    Failing to adapt to altering economic conditions in isolated geographic regions is the problem Detroit has, and NAFTA did not cause jobs to leave Detroit, automation did.

The buggy whip and harness makers all whined when Ford implemented the assembly line in Detroit, putting them out of a job while simultaneously reducing the cost of a car to the consumer so that the middle class could afford one.

Now, robots can perform the assembly tasks more accurately, efficiently, and economically than humans. Why wouldn't manufacturers replace workers with robots?

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Failing to adapt to altering economic conditions in isolated geographic regions is the problem Detroit has, and NAFTA did not cause jobs to leave Detroit, automation did.

The buggy whip and harness makers all whined when Ford implemented the assembly line in Detroit, putting them out of a job while simultaneously reducing the cost of a car to the consumer so that the middle class could afford one.

Now, robots can perform the assembly tasks more accurately, efficiently, and economically than humans. Why wouldn't manufacturers replace workers with robots?
    Next can you tell us about how 1800's era colonialization of Africa was great because industrialization allowed for more efficient use natural resources?

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    Next can you tell us about how 1800's era colonialization of Africa was great because industrialization allowed for more efficient use natural resources?
    Not even after you've finished comparing apples to oranges while building a strawman.

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Automation shits on Donald Trump's job plans.
    GreyOne - "At what point do enough innocent bodies stack up where you decide your Second Amendment isn't worth the paper required to wipe a medium-sized bowel movement?"

Ovinomancer - "As for your questions, more."

• Page 9 of 193 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272859109 ... LastLast