Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Yeah, everyone critical of this movie is critical for mostly the same reasons. I listen to CGP Grey's podcast, Hello Internet, and he also made most of the same criticisms. It just wasn't a good movie. It had decent action, competent cinematography, and a lot of fan service, and that confused a lot of people into thinking it was good. Those things are polish, not substance. It was a very shiny movie, I'll give ya that. If it hadn't been set in the Star Wars galaxy, a setting to which it makes nearly zero contributions towards world building, then everyone's reaction would have been "meh".
    Is the US version of the movie very different from the International/German version?

Nearly zero contributions to world building? We actually got some insights into the formation of the Rebel Alliance in this movie! We learn that it wasn't just a single united happy alliance. We learned that they actually weren't so keen on military offensives. We also learned that there were also Rebels that were willing to fight dirty, and didn't hesitate to order assassinations or kill people for practical convenience (like rather having a confidential informant killed rather then captured). We learned some details about how the Death Star project came to be and who was involved beyond Tarkin.
    We learned that the Rebels also occasionally repurposed Imperial droids and that they can be very effective and dangerous. (Certainly better than those Trade Federation remote operated ones)

It's okay to not like this movie. I wouldn't necessarily call it a brilliant masterpiece either. I don't think it would work without being part of Star Wars, but neither would Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi - these movies don't have to reestablish the entire setting, they can build upon what was already there. That is fine. And it's not just "fan-service". I probably missed most of that stuff, except the obvious - like Star Destroyers, TIE Fighters and X-Wings.

Province
    US
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    That you find yourself writing phrases like this says so much about you. That "good movie" is an objective standard rather than subjective one, and that anyone who disagrees with your tastes is "wrong" as opposed to "different than you".

The smug is strong with this one.
    Nah. I'm not saying that everyone who thinks this is a good movie is wrong because they have "wrong" taste in movies, I'm saying they're confused. Meaning I think that time and perspective will not be kind to this movie.

Tell, me, Mistwell, when a film critic says a movie isn't good, do you automatically think they're smug bastards? What does a movie have to do wrong for you to not think it's good?

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Nah. I'm not saying that everyone who thinks this is a good movie is wrong because they have "wrong" taste in movies, I'm saying they're confused. Meaning I think that time and perspective will not be kind to this movie.

Tell, me, Mistwell, when a film critic says a movie isn't good, do you automatically think they're smug bastards? What does a movie have to do wrong for you to not think it's good?
    Do you understand the difference between, "I don't think this is a good movie and here is why" and "If you think this is a good movie then you're confused"?

The critic is saying the former, and you are saying the later. And that you don't even comprehend that immediately tells us all we need to know...even if we didn't have years of your smug posts prior to this.
    I like hats.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Hahaha.

Fucking libertarians man, so delusional.
    "Cunt. A word that sounds like a tennis ball hitting a racket in the sweet spot." ~ shiningbrow

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Hahaha.

Fucking libertarians man, so delusional.
    So true.
    I like hats.

Province
    US
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    Do you understand the difference between, "I don't think this is a good movie and here is why" and "If you think this is a good movie then you're confused"?

The critic is saying the former, and you are saying the later. And that you don't even comprehend that immediately tells us all we need to know...even if we didn't have years of your smug posts prior to this.
    Of course I understand the difference. Do you? At first you seemed to object to me saying the movie wasn't good because you thought I was positing an objective measure of movie quality. I'm making a prediction, which is like a Mistophecy but informed, that public opinion on Rogue One will fall over time because initial views were confused by the polish and fan service.

I realize by writing this you're just gonna double down on your love for the film just to spite me, and that's kinda funny, that I can make you like a mediocre movie.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Of course I understand the difference. Do you? At first you seemed to object to me saying the movie wasn't good because you thought I was positing an objective measure of movie quality. I'm making a prediction, which is like a Mistophecy but informed, that public opinion on Rogue One will fall over time because initial views were confused by the polish and fan service.

I realize by writing this you're just gonna double down on your love for the film just to spite me, and that's kinda funny, that I can make you like a mediocre movie.
    "Man, I'm soooo right about how everyone else thinks that I know that the only reason you could like this movie is to spite me. Seriously, so obvious.

Am I right or what, guys (only non confused guys that agree with me need respond, all other will just hate this because I made them)?"
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Yeah, everyone critical of this movie is critical for mostly the same reasons. I listen to CGP Grey's podcast, Hello Internet, and he also made most of the same criticisms. It just wasn't a good movie. It had decent action, competent cinematography, and a lot of fan service, and that confused a lot of people into thinking it was good. Those things are polish, not substance. It was a very shiny movie, I'll give ya that. If it hadn't been set in the Star Wars galaxy, a setting to which it makes nearly zero contributions towards world building, then everyone's reaction would have been "meh".
    Holy shit. You're ridiculous.

Rogue One made a shitload of contributions towards world building.
    GreyOne - "At what point do enough innocent bodies stack up where you decide your Second Amendment isn't worth the paper required to wipe a medium-sized bowel movement?"

Ovinomancer - "As for your questions, more."

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    The whole movie made the plot of Star Wars A New Hope NOT HOKEY.

It does immense credit to the cinematic universe of Star Wars.

I would also argue the flawed heroes of Rogue One were more heroic than the original trio.
    Last edited by GreyOne; January 2nd, 2017 at 06:49 AM.
    GreyOne - "At what point do enough innocent bodies stack up where you decide your Second Amendment isn't worth the paper required to wipe a medium-sized bowel movement?"

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

Most film critics ARE smug bastards and are full of shit. The internet is FULL of them.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    You guys do realize that you can be smug and correct at the same time, right? It isn't mutually exclusive.
    I am not Gary Busey.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Yablo View Post
    You guys do realize that you can be smug and correct at the same time, right? It isn't mutually exclusive.
    Yeah, but nobody listens to smug bastards.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Yeah, but nobody listens to smug bastards.
    Why are you responding to shithead trolls?
    Memes, memes never change.

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Why are you responding to shithead trolls?
    Case in point

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    kirinke isn't a shithead troll. She just drools on the keyboard.
    Memes, memes never change.

• Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast