Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Rey's motivation is more complicated and incomplete at this time.
    Bullshit. Her motivation is "have adventures but don't leave my home because despite the evidence my parents are coming back for me."

Why that "stay on Jakku" motivation altered the moment she set foot on a non-desert planet is the only "mystery".
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Bullshit. Her motivation is "have adventures but don't leave my home because despite the evidence my parents are coming back for me."

Why that "stay on Jakku" motivation altered the moment she set foot on a non-desert planet is the only "mystery".
    God you're dumb. I honestly stand by my assertion that you have a below average IQ.

All of this, every last complaint you have, is explained in the movie. Not only is it explained, it's SO FUCKING OBVIOUSLY explained, that only a child with ADHD could possibly miss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphersmith View Post
    It does, actually. While you might kill civilians when you hit a military target, that isn't the point of the attack. I know you don't see a difference, but it's there.
    The difference is in the propaganda. The end result is the same. People were killed. I know that doesn't matter to you.
    I am not Gary Busey.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    All of this, every last complaint you have, is explained in the movie. Not only is it explained, it's SO FUCKING OBVIOUSLY explained, that only a child with ADHD could possibly miss it.
    No, it isn't. She literally goes from "I have to go back to Jakku because my parents are coming for me" to "But Finn, why don't you want to run off and join the Rebellion with me?" upon stepping off the Falcon onto a new planet. No transition state.
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    No, it isn't. She literally goes from "I have to go back to Jakku because my parents are coming for me" to "But Finn, why don't you want to run off and join the Rebellion with me?" upon stepping off the Falcon onto a new planet. No transition state.
    Plus the instant: "Hey Han Solo, do you want to be my surrogate father figure/teacher that can die tragically in the first movie?" "Sure, I was just thinking about that, girl"

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Wow.

You didn't watch the movie, did you? Because only a retarded monkey would come up with that conclusion after having watched it and since you're typing stuff out on a computer, I'm assuming that you're at least slightly more intelligent than a retarded monkey.

Firstly, her entire world-view was challenged and she was given an opportunity to accept something she knows is true: her parents aren't coming back. Her commitment to completing the objective of getting BB-8 to the rebellion isn't about joining the rebellion, it's about using it as an excuse to leave somewhere she knows is holding her back and where she has no future. This was all explained, some of it even through exposition dialogue ffs, to the point where if you missed that, you don't have a functioning cerebral cortex and you're actually a zombie, walking amongst the living.

There is then a whole 4m30s long scene that explains that entire thing, and is THE turning point of the mid-way transition of the film where the crisis of the protagonist reaches it's zenith. She physically runs away from the very concept of fighting in the rebellion and abandoning her home planet and the fruitless quest to wait for her parents. Even the foil of the scene EXPLAINS this very thing to her.

Fuck you're stupid.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Things need to make sense. COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Advocatus Diaboli's Avatar
    Province
    San Antonio, TX
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I feel like Rogue One should have put up this end title card just before the credits rolled:

Star Wars will return in Episode IV: A New Hope.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Yeah, right. You can't stalk me, yo!
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Wow.

You didn't watch the movie, did you? Because only a retarded monkey would come up with that conclusion after having watched it and since you're typing stuff out on a computer, I'm assuming that you're at least slightly more intelligent than a retarded monkey.

Firstly, her entire world-view was challenged and she was given an opportunity to accept something she knows is true: her parents aren't coming back. Her commitment to completing the objective of getting BB-8 to the rebellion isn't about joining the rebellion, it's about using it as an excuse to leave somewhere she knows is holding her back and where she has no future. This was all explained, some of it even through exposition dialogue ffs, to the point where if you missed that, you don't have a functioning cerebral cortex and you're actually a zombie, walking amongst the living.

There is then a whole 4m30s long scene that explains that entire thing, and is THE turning point of the mid-way transition of the film where the crisis of the protagonist reaches it's zenith. She physically runs away from the very concept of fighting in the rebellion and abandoning her home planet and the fruitless quest to wait for her parents. Even the foil of the scene EXPLAINS this very thing to her.
    I, too, find myself amazed that I agree with Kzach.

I found some pretty cool information that I found in Entertainment Weekly's special issue on the movie. Most of the issue is complete fluff. But they pointed out a number of easter eggs that I completely missed.

First, the Ghost from the cartoon Star Wars Rebels appears in the movie. Also, there's a moment when they are paging "General Syndulla". That's the Hera character from Star Wars Rebels as well. Also, Saw Gerrera was in Season 5 of the Clone Wars - and a fairly prominent character in that season. You see why he becomes the extremist that he is in that series.

Saw Gerrera is also going to appear in the Star Wars Rebels cartoon.

I have to say, rarely do things on TV transfer to the movies or vice versa. Marvel has been promising that for years and we still have yet to really see it the movies are mentioned in the TV shows, but that's it. It's not a two-way street. So, I give some mad props to the Star Wars heads of continuity for creating a living universe that self-references correctly.

The only other franchise that I can think of that was able to do this was the Star Trek franchise.
    "You think Osama is regretting giving his personal information on the Playstation Network?" - Remathilis

Province
    Cleveland
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Meh. I couldn't care less about some T.V. cartoon bulllshit. But I'm glad someone got something out of it.
    Still excited about 4th Edition!
    -----
    * 'You'd need to start with a party of 20 or 30, so that each of the grisly traps could fail to be avoided.' -- Calamari Face, discussing a D&D movie set in the Tomb of Horrors

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuas Randallus View Post
    Meh. I couldn't care less about some T.V. cartoon bulllshit. But I'm glad someone got something out of it.
    The Clone Wars and Rebels series are actually pretty good. Nothing spectacular but worth watching if you like SW, especially since it's all canon.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Cleveland
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I already watched all the cool fight scenes from Clone Wars on YouTube.
    Still excited about 4th Edition!
    -----
    * 'You'd need to start with a party of 20 or 30, so that each of the grisly traps could fail to be avoided.' -- Calamari Face, discussing a D&D movie set in the Tomb of Horrors

Province
    Snellville, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I started watching Rebels on demand (Xfinity) the last weekend of October, only to find November 1 that previous seasons were no longer available, only the current season.

On Fett's advice, I switched over to watching Clone Wars on Netflix and it is better than I expected.

That's *Miss* Manners to you. Ranger Wickett's Avatar
    Province
    Atlanta, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I was a fan of Rogue One, so at the beginning of this video I was skeptical, but she makes good points. I wouldn't say it made the movie bad, but certainly they missed a lot of interesting possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gf6qyAHOw

Creator of ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution. Adventure ten, Godmind, now available for Pathfinder and D&D 4th edition.

Creator of War of the Burning Sky. Available for D&D 3.5 and 4th editions.

Consider the long now. You live for decades. Enjoy today, but plan as if you're going to make it to a hundred.

Province
    US
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I was a fan of Rogue One, so at the beginning of this video I was skeptical, but she makes good points. I wouldn't say it made the movie bad, but certainly they missed a lot of interesting possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gf6qyAHOw
    Yeah, everyone critical of this movie is critical for mostly the same reasons. I listen to CGP Grey's podcast, Hello Internet, and he also made most of the same criticisms. It just wasn't a good movie. It had decent action, competent cinematography, and a lot of fan service, and that confused a lot of people into thinking it was good. Those things are polish, not substance. It was a very shiny movie, I'll give ya that. If it hadn't been set in the Star Wars galaxy, a setting to which it makes nearly zero contributions towards world building, then everyone's reaction would have been "meh".

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    and that confused a lot of people into thinking it was good.
    That you find yourself writing phrases like this says so much about you. That "good movie" is an objective standard rather than subjective one, and that anyone who disagrees with your tastes is "wrong" as opposed to "different than you".

The smug is strong with this one.
    I like hats.

• Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast