Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Rogue One (Shameless Spoilers)

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

Rogue One (Shameless Spoilers)

Just got back. Overall verdict - really enjoyed it.

Couple of drawbacks:
    - there were places I really lamented the lack of John Williams.
    - CGI Tarkin suffered from severe Uncanny Valley at times. Red Leader and Gold Leader were excellent; CGI Leia fell somewhere in the middle; but Tarkin frequently moved like a video game cutscene.

K2SO got most of the best lines. I liked Donnie Yen's character, and his sidekick's repeating blaster was sweet.

Lots of nods to Episode IV - cameos that were cute or cool without being silly, familiar shots in places like Yavin IV or the Death Star.

I know they've said they avoided the fanfare and the title crawl to distance it from the 'main line' movies, but I don't like that decision. And I'm sad that they deliberately averted a Bad Feeling About This line.

Is it just me, or did Vader feel a little 'off'? I know they got JEJ back in to do the voice, but it didn't seem quite right.

I know I came out of Episode VII and wanted to go straight back in and watch it again. I don't have the same impulse for Rogue One, but I think they made a fine Star Wars film.

-Hyp.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I mostly agree with you but I also think it was a very dense film that requires a rewatch to appreciate.

Which is ironic because I also felt it lacked depth and character development. There'll definitely be an extended cut that will fill in a lot of that lack.

I enjoyed Force Awakens more than I did Rogue One, because I think there was more focus on character which made me care more. With this one there were so many characters and so little development that even though I really liked the characters, I liked them more for their quirks rather than any deeply defined characteristics.
    "Cunt. A word that sounds like a tennis ball hitting a racket in the sweet spot." ~ shiningbrow

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I'd be interested to know if there's a reason Marvel's face-switching CGI (like scrawny Steve Rogers, or the young versions of Michael Douglas and RDJ) look so much better than the Tarkin and Leia stuff in Rogue One.

Do they have proprietary techniques that do things nobody else has figured out, or something?

----

The pilot seemed to recover from getting his brain sucked by the mind flayer much better than was implied would be the case.

-Hyp.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'd be interested to know if there's a reason Marvel's face-switching CGI (like scrawny Steve Rogers, or the young versions of Michael Douglas and RDJ) look so much better than the Tarkin and Leia stuff in Rogue One.
    It wasn't too bad with Tarkin I didn't think. Like, it was noticeable, but not so much that it was off-putting. Leia however was just plain bad.

The pilot seemed to recover from getting his brain sucked by the mind flayer much better than was implied would be the case.
    Well, he did say it was a tendency for it to happen so not a guarantee.

Did you know that Saw Gerrera was from the animated series Rebels?
    "Cunt. A word that sounds like a tennis ball hitting a racket in the sweet spot." ~ shiningbrow

Province
    Columbus, OH
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    The CGI for Tarkin didn't bother me, but the fact that it wasn't Peter Cushing, OBE, speaking that threw me off. I almost would have preferred just seeing his reflection in the viewport.

Vader hasn't felt Vader-y since Episode VI.

Leia didn't bother me, but I would have preferred to not show her.

The use of vignettes in the beginning and the lack of a crawl kept me from going into Star Wars mode for the first bit of the movie.

I really liked it. It felt Stars Wars-y in the way that the off-brand stuff feels Star Wars-y: that is to say, inhabiting the same space as the main story, but not as compelling.
    "A foolish man may be known by six things: Anger without cause, speech without profit, change without progress, inquiry without object, putting trust in a stranger, and mistaking foes for friends. - Arabic proverb

"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere, et cum illi pueri dicerent: Σίβυλλα τί θέλεις; respondebat illa: ἀποθανεῖν θέλω." - Petronius Arbiter

Province
    Columbus, OH
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Things I really liked:
    - The Rebel Alliance not being all-for-one-and-one-for-all, which lines up perfectly with the problems that plagued both the Old and New Republics.
    - Cassian being a Bad, Bad Man.
    - They gave all the main characters enough depth for you to understand their journey.
    - The glorious color of the final battle after spending so much time in the dark.
    - The space battle. OMG, the space battle.
    - Vader's second appearance.
    - The fact that our evil villain is really just a minor Imperial functionary. And his last shot is his masterpiece rising into sight and him knowing what was about to happen.

Things I didn't like:
    - The first act. I hated typing out the planet names. The vignettes felt like they could have been worked into the main story. Jeddah was great but Saw felt criminally underused.
    - The fight at the refinery felt a bit rushed. X-Wings show up. People go boom. Monk uses a laser bow that can blow up a TIE Fighter. Heroine gets dad validation.
    - Power Armor Dude's death felt a bit forced. It wasn't bad, just ... of all the heroes deaths his seemed the least apropos.
    - The composer's musical choices felt like the opposite of what John Williams would do. That helped build a sense of unavoidable doom, but I just wanted some goddamn heroic trumpets when the heroes were being heroic.
    - I want every Star Wars movie to have a Twin Suns moment where we can just breathe and feel the movie. This definitely didn't have that.
    - The mind reading tentacle beast. WTF.

Overall, I really liked this movie. I think it is a better movie than The Force Awakens, but TFA was better at working the Star Wars magic.
    "A foolish man may be known by six things: Anger without cause, speech without profit, change without progress, inquiry without object, putting trust in a stranger, and mistaking foes for friends. - Arabic proverb

"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere, et cum illi pueri dicerent: Σίβυλλα τί θέλεις; respondebat illa: ἀποθανεῖν θέλω." - Petronius Arbiter

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Monk uses a laser bow that can blow up a TIE Fighter.
    Pretty sure it was a kyber laser. He was a guardian of the Jedi temple and obviously a force-user himself. So that could explain why it's more powerful than a regular blaster.

Province
    Columbus, OH
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Minor quibble: Force Sensitive, not a Force User.

I mean, it was an awesome thing. Just not really something I expected.

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I liked it. It felt like a better nostalgia trip then Force Awakens did.

Of course, it fell somewhere between the ot and the prequels in terms of look, effects, plot, and dialogue; making it the perfect 3.5.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I'm not worried about spoilers, but I thought I'd share that I'm going to see this in about a half-hour as a part of a work holiday thing.

My sister and brother-in-law saw it last night and confirmed my hopes that this is a "Dirty Dozen"-style movie, which was the correct way to play this story.
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. - Douglas Adams

Province
    Columbus, OH
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Man, it's such a Dirty Dozen movie that I expected it to end with each of the heroes staring at the camera while an unseen narrator called out their name.

Province
    Columbus, OH
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I am re-watching A New Hope and the annoucement that the Senate is dissolved suddenly feels far more WTF, since Rogue One literally takes place a week or two before it is dissolved. The Emperor clearly is like FINALLY I HAVE A SUPER WEAPON FUCK THESE PEOPLE.

Province
    US
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I hardly remember it due to a 3 hour, 20 mile drive home in freezing rain.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Just got back. Overall verdict - really enjoyed it.
    - CGI Tarkin suffered from severe Uncanny Valley at times. Red Leader and Gold Leader were excellent; CGI Leia fell somewhere in the middle; but Tarkin frequently moved like a video game cutscene.
    Agreed... for Leia I think it was her having a chubby face that through me off.

K2SO got most of the best lines.
    Best character in movie award.

Is it just me, or did Vader feel a little 'off'? I know they got JEJ back in to do the voice, but it didn't seem quite right.
    TYeah... two things for me:

1 - Vader should not make puns or jokes. That was not to character.
    2 - His mask looked wrong to me.

If I had the dough, i'd go catch it again, apparently I was looking in the wrong spot when the Ghost was first cameoed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Did you know that Saw Gerrera was from the animated series Rebels?
    Did you know you got the cartoon wrong? He was in Clone Wars. Moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    Things I really liked:
    - The Rebel Alliance not being all-for-one-and-one-for-all, which lines up perfectly with the problems that plagued both the Old and New Republics.
    - Cassian being a Bad, Bad Man.
    - They gave all the main characters enough depth for you to understand their journey.
    - The glorious color of the final battle after spending so much time in the dark.
    - The space battle. OMG, the space battle.
    - The fact that our evil villain is really just a minor Imperial functionary. And his last shot is his masterpiece rising into sight and him knowing what was about to happen.

Things I didn't like:
    - The first act. I hated typing out the planet names. The vignettes felt like they could have been worked into the main story. Jeddah was great but Saw felt criminally underused.
    - The fight at the refinery felt a bit rushed. X-Wings show up. People go boom. Monk uses a laser bow that can blow up a TIE Fighter. Heroine gets dad validation.
    - The composer's musical choices felt like the opposite of what John Williams would do. That helped build a sense of unavoidable doom, but I just wanted some goddamn heroic trumpets when the heroes were being heroic.
    - I want every Star Wars movie to have a Twin Suns moment where we can just breathe and feel the movie. This definitely didn't have that.
    - The mind reading tentacle beast. WTF.

Overall, I really liked this movie. I think it is a better movie than The Force Awakens...
    Agreed on all these points.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Pretty sure it was a kyber laser.
    Pretty sure it was bullshit and unnecessary. Blind dude did not also need to be a Zen fucking Archer.

Too many "OH SHIT! This will totes be awesome, we have to do that!" in the movie... and this was one of those.

The Best Part:

Everyone fucking dies. Best ending ever.
    "We will have so much winning if I get elected that you may get bored with winning. Believe me. - Trump

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    2 - His mask looked wrong to me.
    I think it's the neck. I've tried to compare masks but there are too many images to sift through on a google search.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Did you know you got the cartoon wrong? He was in Clone Wars. Moron.
    Haha, nail bunny just went full Star Wars retard.

• Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast