Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Just like Obama did to Bush's appointees? I recall you being mad about that, too, right?
    You mean HuffPo didn't provide all the context necessary to judge if this was a bad move or common practice? Impossible.
    I like hats.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I do!

Oh, wait that doesn't say that at all. Nevermind.
    Actually the text of the Washington Post article is almost identical to the text of this article. From the Washington Post article:

Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post when Obama was First Sworn In
    "The incoming Obama administration has notified all politically-appointed ambassadors that they must vacate their posts as of Jan. 20, the day President-elect Barack Obama takes the oath of office, a State Department official said.

The clean slate will open up prime opportunities for the president-elect to reward political supporters with posts in London, Paris, Tokyo and the like. The notice to diplomatic posts was issued this week.

Political ambassadors sometimes are permitted to stay on briefly during a new administration, but the sweeping nature of the directive suggests that Obama has little interest in retaining any of Bush's ambassadorial appointees."
    Now compare that text to the HuffPo text. Take out their commentary, and it's virtually identical.

So, Ovi's response is a good one. I don't recall any of you guys acting like this when Obama issues the identical order at the same time of the year with the same date.
    Last edited by Mistwell; January 6th, 2017 at 11:05 PM.
    I like hats.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Oh man! I totally forgot to check the last three Presidents before posting about the stupidity of blanket clearing house before anything to replace it is in place.

How could I have known the "they did it too squad" would point it out! Curses! Was a dastardly counter argument!

I guess we should all do it. It will be predictable to see the lack of outcry of Republicans when Trump appoints lots of inexperienced ambassadors, just like when Obama did it.
    Last edited by GreyOne; January 7th, 2017 at 01:13 AM.
    GreyOne - "At what point do enough innocent bodies stack up where you decide your Second Amendment isn't worth the paper required to wipe a medium-sized bowel movement?"

Ovinomancer - "As for your questions, more."

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Man. The BEST part of that link is reading the first 8 comments about that douchebag Muslim Obama.
    Last edited by GreyOne; January 7th, 2017 at 01:13 AM.
    GreyOne - "At what point do enough innocent bodies stack up where you decide your Second Amendment isn't worth the paper required to wipe a medium-sized bowel movement?"

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    Oh man! I totally forgot to check the last three Presidents before posting about the stupidity of blanket clearing house before anything to replace it is in place.

How could I have known the "they did it too squad" would point it out! Curses! Was a dastardly counter argument!

It would be interesting to see the ratio of career diplomats advancing to Ambassador rank to political appointees also.
    Sorry, I didn't see where you showed it to be stupid. So far, all I see is another trumped up bullshit ado over nothing being used to complain about Trump.

There's enough good reasons to complain that you don't need to find non-issues to pretend are big deals. You guys need to drop this ridiculous maximum outrage over everything. It just buries real problems in the constant noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    Actually the text of the Washington Post article is almost identical to the text of this article. From the Washington Post article:

Now compare that text to the HuffPo text. Take out their commentary, and it's virtually identical.

So, Ovi's response is a good one. I don't recall any of you guys acting like this when Obama issues the identical order at the same time of the year with the same date.
    The text of Kid's link provides more nuance.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Sorry, I didn't see where you showed it to be stupid. So far, all I see is another trumped up bullshit ado over nothing being used to complain about Trump.

There's enough good reasons to complain that you don't need to find non-issues to pretend are big deals. You guys need to drop this ridiculous maximum outrage over everything. It just buries real problems in the constant noise.
    Several of those ambassadors are in very important Allied countries like Germany and Canada. Now they have to wait months for Senate appointments.

And I'm still waiting for you to post ANYTHING about what we should be up in arms about. Anything. Go on. I triple dog dare you.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

I guess we should all do it. It will be predictable to see the lack of outcry of Republicans when Trump appoints lots of inexperienced ambassadors, just like when Obama did it.
    It's not the last three presidents - it's been a thing for a very long time (after Adams figured out that a change of guard was necessary).

EDIT: Also, we're used to a lag in replacements - last changing of the guard was a lengthy period (as in months) as well.
    Last edited by Enkhidu; January 7th, 2017 at 01:34 AM.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    It's not the last three presidents - it's been a thing for a very long time (after Adams figured out that a change of guard was necessary).

EDIT: Also, we're used to a lag in replacements - last changing of the guard was a lengthy period (as in months) as well.
    To me it makes no sense to to leave a vacancy in an important position when said vacancy is unnecessary in the near future.

I am also interested in how many Ambassadorial positions will be appointed by Trump via political motivations relative to actual career diplomat experience.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    To me it makes no sense to to leave a vacancy in an important position when said vacancy is unnecessary in the near future.

I am also interested in how many Ambassadorial positions will be appointed by Trump via political motivations relative to actual career diplomat experience.
    Jesus, it's the nattering of a clueless chimp.

Ambassadorships are always political appointments and almost never are chosen for diplomatic experience. The real work is done by the story ambassadors, which are career diplomats and are still on station. We'renotdiplomatically uncovered anywhere by this. Hell, this is probably the moment in every new administration where the diplomatic corp functions best.

Obama didn't pick based on diplomatic experience either. At least try to understand what you're pretending is a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Lest we forget, President Obama was prepping his appointees for the same kind of transition even if Clinton won. This is just how things are done - and there are plenty more things to complain about with Trump than this.

Quote Originally Posted by G1
    Most likely, about as many as other recent administrations (I'm not sure about the veracity of those #s, but those look in-line at first glance).

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

Ambassador positions are the last vestige of the spoils system.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Cue the apologists and justifiers who conveniently ignore the subtleties, like allowing for a transition period.

The Devil's greatest trick was convincing people he didn't exist. That is, until he somehow managed to get away with everything he ever did because no matter what he did, people will find a way to accept it.

I never realised that Enkhidu, Ovinomancer and Mistwell liked to get assfucked by a hot iron poker. Good to know.
    "Cunt. A word that sounds like a tennis ball hitting a racket in the sweet spot." ~ shiningbrow

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    ...I never realised that Enkhidu, Ovinomancer and Mistwell liked to get assfucked by a hot iron poker. Good to know.
    Hey if Trump does kick everyone without extension (and doesn't follow established norms and allow one here or there a simple extension), we can add it to the shit show that is a Trump presidency. It'll be a drop in the fucking bucket in comparison to the wholesale graft that the new "wall" will be, or the massive payoffs that will be given to multi-nationals in "deal" money.

Seriously - stop parroting the latest talking points and start complaining about shit that matters.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Ever want to know what Trump will be tweeting next? Read RT and Sputnik and watch for the talking points coming out of Putin's Kremlin. Trump tweets them within 24 hours.

Trump is Putin's little bitch.

• Page 44 of 77 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast