Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random study thread

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Out of Africa happened 72,000 years ago? http://gizmodo.com/aboriginal-austra...ati-1786940046
    I am not Gary Busey.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Men producing eggs?! You bet!

Using skin cells extracted from mice, researchers in Japan have produced fully functional egg cells that were used to produce healthy mouse pups. Should the method work in humans, it could introduce powerful new ways of treating infertility—and even allow same-sex couples to produce biological offspring.

This is the first time ever that scientists have produced functional mammalian eggs entirely within the confines of a petri dish. In a new study published inNature Research, Katsuhiko Hayashi and colleagues from Kyushu University in Japan describe a new technique in which viable “artificial eggs” can be generated with stem cells, and then fertilized to produce healthy and fertile mouse pups. It’s also the first time that eggs have been produced entirely outside of a mouse.
    Egg cells are the only type of cell in the body capable of dividing and producing all of the distinct and highly specialized cells in an organism. Scientists have tried to understand how these cells develop by trying to replicate the process in the lab.

This same group of scientists has already succeeded in turning mouse skin cells into primary germ cells, and they’ve been trying to turn these germ cells into full-fledged egg cells. It now appears that they’ve finally found a way to do it.

After extracting skin cells from the tails of 10-week-old mice, Hayashi’s team turned the cells into pluripotent stem cells, which can turn into virtually any other type of cell in the body. These cells were immersed in a complex chemical bath that coaxed the cells into becoming immature egg cells. After adding tissue taken from the ovaries of mouse fetuses, the immature eggs developed into mature eggs, or functional oocytes. These eggs were then fertilized in vitro and transplanted into surrogate mice, some of whom gave birth to healthy pups.

The technique works, but considerable progress needs to done before we can even think about applying it to humans. For starters, humans aren’t mice; we’re vastly more complex than these perennial lab companions. Moreover, only 3.5 percent of the early embryos created from the artificial eggs went on to produce pups. That’s a discouragingly low figure. The vast majority of the oocyte-like eggs were of very poor quality. Hayashi worries that these eggs might produce abnormal offspring.

Assuming these problems can be fixed, and that the technique can be applied to humans, it could introduce entirely new forms of assisted reproduction. It would give clinicians almost unlimited access to mature eggs, and allow women with any number of reproductive issues (e.g. low egg counts, age-related declines in fertility, disease, etc) to create eggs through an entirely new means. Also, there’s no reason to believe that this technique couldn’t work for men, allowing same sex couples to produce biological offspring.

The researchers figure it’ll take them another five to ten years to sort out the outstanding technical issues, so it’ll be a while before we see this method at a fertility clinic near you. That should give us plenty of time to discuss—and hopefully accept—the wider social implications of this exciting new technique.
    http://gizmodo.com/scientists-create...lls-1787882140
    I am not Gary Busey.

Westworld Magnificent COMMUNITY SUPPORTER diaglo's Avatar
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Looks like Noam Chomsky was wrong even about his core academic subject: linguistics.

"Evidence Rebuts Chomsky's Theory of Language Learning
    Much of Noam Chomsky’s revolution in linguistics—including its account of the way we learn languages—is being overturned"
    no shit. noam is a chump
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    no shit. noam is a chump
    I think you mean 'chumpsky'.
    Memes, memes never change.

Province
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Henricus View Post
    It's funny, but my parents came up in the Great Depression, and if anything they were the most thrifty, long-term goal-oriented people I've ever known. Because of their growing up in poverty, they were always socking away nest eggs, and waiting to buy when they had money rather than on credit. Unfortunately, those lessons didn't stick with me, and it took me a while to learn better behaviors and fix my previous mistakes, but we were pretty solidly middle-class when I grew up, too.

Maybe they were just statistical outliers, or maybe the Greatest Generation was just sterner stuff all 'round.
    This just makes me think that there's another factor in play. The cynic in me says that modern society, with a stronger welfare system, teaches poorer folks that there will always be another hand-out, later. But, then, I look at so many other solidly upper-middle class folks I know, especially those who only have one kid, and realize that their kids are actually learning that they can whine and get whatever they want, whenever they want.
    This is not a signature.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Hard evidence women prefere bigger penises for sex. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...tudy?CMP=fb_gu
    I am not Gary Busey.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    You come in 2 minutes because monogamy took your bone. http://gizmodo.com/new-research-sugg...-in-1790075764
    I am not Gary Busey.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Maybe Max's parents would have opted for a (very) late term abortion is such tests were available at the time.

"Scientists at King’s College London followed more than 1,000 children from before school until they were 38, to find out if it was possible to predict who would go on to lead troubled lives.

All were given a 45-minute test aged three to gauge intelligence, language and motor skills, and were assessed for their levels of tolerance, restlessness, impulsiveness and social disadvantage.

After 35 years, the researchers found one fifth of the group was responsible for 81 per cent of the group’s overall criminal convictions, three quarters of its drug prescriptions, two thirds of welfare benefit payments and more than half of nights in hospital.

But crucially, they discovered that the outcomes could have been predicted decades earlier, simply by looking at which children attained the lowest test scores aged three.

The team believe that if all children could be tested it would be possible to work out which were at greatest risk, so that interventions could be made to prevent them slipping into a life where they were a burden on the state.
    "
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/a-test-at-age-3-can-predict-whether-children-will-grow-and-go-to-jail-and-lead-a-troubled-life-scientists-say

The actual article from Nature Behavior.
    I am not Gary Busey.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Homo conservativus might be more "attuned" to fear. Makes total sense. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...m_source=atlfb

"One of the few comforts liberals had in the aftermath of the election was the anecdotal reporting that fake-news purveyors found it easier to get conservatives to believe their baloney.

As one such fake-news entrepreneur, responsible for articles with headlines like, “FBI Agent Suspected in Hillary Email Leaks Found Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide,” told NPR: "We’ve tried to do [fake news with] liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."

No doubt this served as a signal, to some, that if fake news works better on Trump supporters, it must be because liberals are smarter than conservatives. “I can safely binge-drink the next four years away,” some liberals might have thought, “since I have all these extra brain cells to burn.”

Well, not quite. According to a study slated to be published in the journal Psychological Science, it might be true that conservatives are more likely to fall for false, threatening-seeming information, but it’s not because they’re dumb. It’s because they’re hyper-attuned to hazards in their world. If they spot a sign of danger, they figure trusting it is better than ignoring it."
    I am not Gary Busey.

I will be warm! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER guyjin's Avatar
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I think it has more to do with the easy availability of credit.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Older women might produce smarter kids cause older women are wealthier and more educated. http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor..._all_dt_fb_top
    I am not Gary Busey.

I will be warm! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER guyjin's Avatar
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    http://imgur.com/a/wHZiM

When nerds breastfeed.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Not a study, but interesting.

I am not Gary Busey.

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Guess what. Studies on monogamy are biased. https://qz.com/938084/the-idea-of-mo...ce=qzfbarchive
    I am not Gary Busey.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12