Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuck checks and balance

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Blabla View Post
    Stupid downplays the implications of this law and the total disregard for judicial independence the Republicans are showing. Dangerous is the proper word. The bigger risk is that this sort of legislative initiative is gonna spread like wildfire among Republican controlled states. A bit like how legislations that de facto limit abortions, without out right saying it so we have plausible deniability *wink wink*, have spread.
    There's little chance of it spreading, just as there's little chance of the Kentucky measure not being found unconstitutional under the Kentucky constitution by a judge (irony) if passed and attempted to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    There's little chance of it spreading, just as there's little chance of the Kentucky measure not being found unconstitutional under the Kentucky constitution by a judge (irony) if passed and attempted to be used.
    Kentucky mesure? You mean an ounce of bourbon?

I think it would be fine to pass laws sanctioning judges for not following existing law, such as ignoring sentencing guidelines for example.

But you cannot legislate away their responsibility to act as check on the legislature.

Much as it pains to say this, I think ovi's right this is too ludicrous to be concerned about actually happening, but it does bear concern that people are stupid enough to propose or try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think it would be fine to pass laws sanctioning judges for not following existing law, such as ignoring sentencing guidelines for example.

But you cannot legislate away their responsibility to act as check on the legislature.

Much as it pains to say this, I think ovi's right this is too ludicrous to be concerned about actually happening, but it does bear concern that people are stupid enough to propose or try it.
    Quoted for posterity.

And this reminds me that I haven't updated my signature in awhile.

Breitbart's imploding right now in the wake of Trump's campaign manager manhandling one of their reporters, and management not backing her up for fear of getting on Trump's bad side - the editor in chief reached out to the Trump campaign for a speechwriting job.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzfeed
    Im wondering if he needs a speechwriter, editor-at-large Joel Pollak wrote to a former Trump staffer earlier this year. He confirmed he reached out to the Trump campaign, and said hed reached out to other campaigns about speechwriting, in an email to BuzzFeed News.
    Slate leans liberal, but has some more conservative voices (albeit pretty moderate ones, like Reihan Salam). Jamelle Bouie and William Saletan are ones that if I read their articles I have to put on my liberal colored glasses to filter out the bias. Nowhere near as bad as DailyKos - I'm a democrat, but I can't read DailyKos due to the bias level.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Dick teases. You got my hopes up for a proper rant about commercial banking.

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Calamari Face View Post
    Dick teases. You got my hopes up for a proper rant about commercial banking.
    Don't worry, your expectations are too big to fail. A bailout is coming any time now.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12