Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten years on, and nothing's changed

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User

Ten years on, and nothing's changed

It's just sad.

The same old tired arguments, the same old tired circular logic, logical fallacies, confirmation bias, arguing past each other, etc. One would think that in ten years (actually closer to fifteen for some) you'd all have learned the very basics of argumentative logic. Some of you are even supposedly college/university graduates and fundamental argument structure is something that even a high school graduate should have a basic grasp of and yet you all universally fail at it.

At least, as a high school dropout, I have an excuse. Why are the rest of you so pathetic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Dude. You don't have to have a high school diploma, let alone a college degree, to read and get the gist of this fairly recent commentary on human folly.

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamari Face View Post
    Dude. You don't have to have a high school diploma, let alone a college degree, to read and get the gist of this fairly recent commentary on human folly.
    It has been awhile since I read Plato.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Odds are Kzach has ten years more fungus on his dick. That's technically a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    It's just sad.

The same old tired arguments, the same old tired circular logic, logical fallacies, confirmation bias, arguing past each other, etc. One would think that in ten years (actually closer to fifteen for some) you'd all have learned the very basics of argumentative logic.
    I like to read old threads sometimes too.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Odds are Kzach has ten years more fungus on his dick. That's technically a change.
    Nah, your mum sucks it off regularly.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Nah, your mum sucks it off regularly.
    Liar, you know damn well she's busy with GreyOne.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Liar, you know damn well she's busy with GreyOne.
    But Grye1's a backdoor prober, that leaves her mouth, both hands, and left eye socket free and clear.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Official Topic Approver COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Strithe's Avatar
    Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It's just sad.

The same old tired arguments, the same old tired circular logic, logical fallacies, confirmation bias, arguing past each other, etc. One would think that in ten years (actually closer to fifteen for some) you'd all have learned the very basics of argumentative logic. Some of you are even supposedly college/university graduates and fundamental argument structure is something that even a high school graduate should have a basic grasp of and yet you all universally fail at it.

At least, as a high school dropout, I have an excuse. Why are the rest of you so pathetic?
    It's the way the human brain works. If a given issue is an "identity issue" (one where it's a big part of how you define who you are), people will adamantly defend that no matter what. Trying to counter with logic or empirical evidence to the contrary only makes them dig in harder. Changing their opinion is, in a way, like losing a major body part or dying. People are only ever reasonable & easygoing when it's not costing them anything. Bribery & threats don't really work on online forums, so if it's something somebody cares about you get... Circvs Maximvs. At least I think that's true for the people who are being sincere.

With some others, those with the ridiculously high post counts, I suspect that they either don't have jobs (or if they do they're robbing their employers) and if their real personalities are anything like their online personas I doubt they have any hobbies that involve interacting with live human beings. They're either trolling or they just don't know how to actually frame arguments when dealing with live humans as opposed to the straw men they've built up in their heads.

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Strithe View Post
    those with the ridiculously high post counts
    Anyone with more than 3600 posts is a gross, basement-dwelling neckbearded serial-killing mossback with no social life whatsoever.

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarbonac View Post
    Anyone with more than 3600 posts is a gross, basement-dwelling neckbearded serial-killing mossback with no social life whatsoever.
    So you're quitting in 23 posts then?
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Strithe View Post
    With some others, those with the ridiculously high post counts, I suspect that they either don't have jobs (or if they do they're robbing their employers) and if their real personalities are anything like their online personas I doubt they have any hobbies that involve interacting with live human beings. They're either trolling or they just don't know how to actually frame arguments when dealing with live humans as opposed to the straw men they've built up in their heads.
    My online persona is my real persona. I only pretend to be nice to people when I care about their opinions. Like with how I am in Adventurer's League where I try my damnedest not to be the arsehole I truly am, deep down inside, at the core of my very being.

So whilst you may have attempted to manufacture a slight against me, it's not representative of me, and therefore meaningless not only to myself, which it would be regardless of veracity, but also to anyone who values the truth.

Which means everyone here will take it as gospel.

Also, I had sex with a self-serve checkout. I served myself all over it. Truth.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    "You've seen me on TV but you don't know the me that makes me me." -- Reverend Jesse Jackson

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    So you're quitting in 23 posts then?
    No, 21 posts.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast