Page 8 of 328 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262758108 ... LastLast

Thread: Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    (Trigger warning for cultural appropriation)

Dos equis.
    I always pictured j00 as a pbr guy
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Quote Originally Posted by Ovi View Post
    I don't understand why you think there will be a sharp right turn in leadership. Boehner held the establishment in place against such calls, and those calls never got much traction. Truth is, the TEA party lost seats and power last election, do* why they'd suddenly seize it now confuses me. I might see a rich* of going more right, but I think it unlikely at this point.

You might be right. Truth be told, I counted on you pointing out that my opinion might be colored by my leftist leanings and thus inaccurate. You didn't disappoint.

*texting at stoplights again?

Any possible replacement for Boner may arguably be worse, but I cling tenaciously to my right to dance upon his (career) grave regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    I always pictured j00 as a pbr guy
    Actually a brown ale guy. I'd drink PBR on a dare, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Any possible replacement for Boner may arguably be worse, but I cling tenaciously to my right to dance upon his (career) grave regardless.

Truth be told, Boehner may be happier than anyone he's left. He was singing out loud as he entered the press conference formally announcing his retirement.

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, I guess that means Boner will be responsible for creating ONE new job during his tenure as speaker...

I'm still curious why the abrupt stop. Three theories.

Health. Especially with the longstanding story he liked to drink.
    Scandal. There is someone with a good juicy story about to leak and he's falling on his sword to avoid the embarrassment to his party/self.
    Surrender. He knows he can't win against his caucus, and Pelosi isn't bailing him out of yet-another shut-down. He decided he can't handle anymore and wants to leave with what little dignity he had left; especially on the high-note of the Pope's speech.

It COULD be that the Pope's visit to Congress cast the demon's out, but that's even a little too cynical for me.
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    Well, I guess that means Boner will be responsible for creating ONE new job during his tenure as speaker...

I'm still curious why the abrupt stop. Three theories.

Health. Especially with the longstanding story he liked to drink.
    Scandal. There is someone with a good juicy story about to leak and he's falling on his sword to avoid the embarrassment to his party/self.
    Surrender. He knows he can't win against his caucus, and Pelosi isn't bailing him out of yet-another shut-down. He decided he can't handle anymore and wants to leave with what little dignity he had left; especially on the high-note of the Pope's speech.

It COULD be that the Pope's visit to Congress cast the demon's out, but that's even a little too cynical for me.
    Boom! Nice shot!

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Two things.

One. I don't understand why you think there will be a sharp right turn in leadership. Boehner held the establishment in place against such calls, and those calls never got much traction. Truth is, the TEA party lost seats and power last election, do why they'd suddenly seize it now confuses me. I might see a rich of going more right, but I think it unlikely at this point.

(Trigger warning for cultural appropriation)

Dos.

I like gridlock in government. Warms my heart, gridlock does. Fewer things for them to fuck up in gridlock.
    That seems pretty libertarianish.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    That seems pretty libertarianish.
    Oh, if I had faith they were actually doing their jobs, I'd feel differently. But they usually don't, so the better option is to first do no harm. Hell, I don't even have to agree with the legislation. If they did something like an effort at cost/benefit and risk analysis and actual discussion prior to affixing their stamp, I'd be joyous.

If preferring government to work well is libertarianish, then I guess I owe some people an apology.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Seriously not one post about the PM of the UK putting his cock in a dead pig?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    That really happened? I didn't know Black Mirror was based on a true story.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Sure there was. We even had a whole discussion about who we might have that is too young to remember when Bill Clinton did too.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Meh. They all do that.

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I posted about it in the random thoughts thread - it seemed more like celebrity gossip than politics.
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That really happened? I didn't know Black Mirror was based on a true story.
    Charlie Brooker must have been ecstatic when the news broke!
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

• Page 8 of 328 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262758108 ... LastLast