Page 7 of 338 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252657107 ... LastLast

Thread: Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    Sure. I'll take losing the UAW money to take out the Americans For Prosperity and super PAC money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Deal.
    Yeah...I'm betting most conservatives or libertarians or anyone you might think would balk would take that deal in a heartbeat.
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    Sure. I'll take losing the UAW money to take out the Americans For Prosperity and super PAC money.
    I have no problem with unions encouraging their members to donate according to causes they feel their membership should support, but unions themselves being active gives me the same willies that corporations being active do.

These are things that should not have agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

I agree. I think people can have political speech, but companies, unions, etc don't need that right. I shouldn't have more speech than someone else just because I have more money than they do, as well.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Political contributions are nothing but legal corruption. We need radical reform in this area.

Boner is gone.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/25/politi...ker/index.html

Maybe the pope drove his hypocrisy in his face enough he couldn't stop crying?
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    didn't see that coming. that isn't an onion article CNN is using as reference, right?
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Boehner is gone.
    Whoever replaces Boehner may well make the rest of us miss him. The dude was center-right. Many of those who have been clamoring for his unseating are whackjob-right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    Whoever replaces Boehner may well make the rest of us miss him.
    Bachmann 2015!
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Bachmann 2015!
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Pundits expect it's likely House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy will replace Boehner. From the office McCarthy vacates and on down the line -- House Whip, Deputy Whip, Conference Chair, etc -- expect the House Republican leadership to shift sharply right.

I wonder if the odds for a government shutdown rise or fall with Boehner's pending departure.

My prediction is that Congress gets even more dysfunctional under new House leadership. Expect even less to get accomplished.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I think a shutdown is basically assured now, unless the moderate GOPers betray the teabaggies (and therefore risk losing their seats.)

It looks like the Repubs will finally get to find out if people will like them better for shutting it all down. It's the tea party endgame now.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    [sexy video in response to Michelle Bachman's name]
    Good choice, she always gives me a Boehner.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    I think a shutdown is basically assured now.

I'll be curious how that plays out on the campaign trail.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    Pundits expect it's likely House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy will replace Boehner. From the office McCarthy vacates and on down the line -- House Whip, Deputy Whip, Conference Chair, etc -- expect the House Republican leadership to shift sharply right.

I wonder if the odds for a government shutdown rise or fall with Boehner's pending departure.

My prediction is that Congress gets even more dysfunctional under new House leadership. Expect even less to get accomplished.
    Two things.

One. I don't understand why you think there will be a sharp right turn in leadership. Boehner held the establishment in place against such calls, and those calls never got much traction. Truth is, the TEA party lost seats and power last election, do why they'd suddenly seize it now confuses me. I might see a rich of going more right, but I think it unlikely at this point.

(Trigger warning for cultural appropriation)

Dos.

I like gridlock in government. Warms my heart, gridlock does. Fewer things for them to fuck up in gridlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

• Page 7 of 338 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252657107 ... LastLast