Page 6 of 338 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242556106 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 5065

Thread: Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

  1. #76
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,100

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Anchor Babies.

    So there's a lot of caterwauling over how "offensive" the term is. While given some legitimacy by Trump's attack on birthright citizenship, the whining and moaning is really over the top.

    Bush for example asks a reasonable question: Give him a different term and he'll use it. There's no arguing that people cross the border pregnant specifically to have a baby in the states as a way of getting their family a toe in the door, and there's no arguing that some undocumenteds set about specifically to get pregnant after slipping in for the same reason.

    Whatever your stance on the larger question of birthright citizenship (Hint: There is no question), wailing about pointing out the practice is pathetic.
    If there's no question, why is it the exception rather than the rule in civilized countries?

 

  • #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    If there's no question, why is it the exception rather than the rule in civilized countries?
    Because that's how the constitution works. Surely you've heard of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

  • #78
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,100

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Because that's how the constitution works. Surely you've heard of it.
    The conversation isn't about where it's written or that it's a fact in the US right now, it's on whether to change it or not. Surely, you can manage to keep up that much, no?

  • #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    The conversation isn't about where it's written or that it's a fact in the US right now, it's on whether to change it or not. Surely, you can manage to keep up that much, no?
    No, the Trump conversation is to deny that it exists, and when pressed on the indisputability of it, to say that he's going to change the constitution as a response.

    Do try to keep up with the cognitive dissonance, even if you don't choose to partake in it.

    If you're going to open the door to changing the constitution in regards birthright, be prepared that the second amendment has been opened up as well. You can't simultaneously claim the infallibility and immutability of the constitution while flippantly talking about changing it due to an inconvenient reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

  • #80
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,100

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    No, the Trump conversation is to deny that it exists, and when pressed on the indisputability of it, to say that he's going to change the constitution as a response.

    Do try to keep up with the cognitive dissonance, even if you don't choose to partake in it.

    If you're going to open the door to changing the constitution in regards birthright, be prepared that the second amendment has been opened up as well. You can't simultaneously claim the infallibility and immutability of the constitution while flippantly talking about changing it due to an inconvenient reality.
    Wow, what an absolute mess of equivocation. Sure, man, you can have it if you want it. If you can't be bothered to discuss without shitting, we can just shit.

  • #81
    cowabunga! Remathilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio
    4,674

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    If you're going to open the door to changing the constitution in regards birthright, be prepared that the second amendment has been opened up as well. You can't simultaneously claim the infallibility and immutability of the constitution while flippantly talking about changing it due to an inconvenient reality.
    Challenge accepted.

    Well, the 2nd amendment is a real hot-button, maybe we can amend it to allow only certain types of guns or demand stricter controls on them.

    The 8th amendment might need some revisions in the post water-boarding 9/11 world. Hell, getting rid of the 4th allows the NSA easier working too.

    The 14th is a triple-wammy; anchor babies, corporate personhood and and the ability to default on federal interest payments.

    What tea-party, small government advocate wouldn't want another crack at the 16th?

    For that matter, there is calls to repeals the 17th as well.

    And maybe, if we like all these changes, we can repeal the 22nd as well and let the party go on longer!

    Jeez, there's a lot we can do if there is only the will. The 14th is only the beginning!
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

  • #82
    Americans: We love the constitution except for the parts we hate.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

  • #83
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,100

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Americans: We love the constitution except for the parts we hate.

  • #84
    diaglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    36,522

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Americans: We love the constitution except for the parts we hate.
    d00d,
    i fucking have to defend it against enemies both foreign and domestic.

    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

    I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

  • #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Americans: We love the constitution except for the parts we hate.
    End the Suffraging of the Women!
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

  • #86
    First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio
    13,755

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    The 14th is a triple-wammy; anchor babies, corporate personhood and and the ability to default on federal interest payments.
    Strictly speaking, the "corporate personhood" interpretation of the 14th Amendment is not readily found within its text but via a headnote or similar written by a clerk or archivist for the Supreme Court when cataloging the (IIRC) 1886 Union Pacific Railroad v. Santa Clara County case. (cite available on request)

    It's amazing how a thin gruel can thicken when it suits the ruling class.



    I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

    I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011


    Larry Sanders 2016!

  • #87
    cowabunga! Remathilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio
    4,674

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamari Face View Post
    Strictly speaking, the "corporate personhood" interpretation of the 14th Amendment is not readily found within its text but via a headnote or similar written by a clerk or archivist for the Supreme Court when cataloging the (IIRC) 1886 Union Pacific Railroad v. Santa Clara County case. (cite available on request)

    It's amazing how a thin gruel can thicken when it suits the ruling class.
    Sorta. Its a quote from a justice from before the formal reading of the verdict, added to the headnote by the law clerk and cited from there on. Point is, without the 14th, you have nothing to base the CP argument on.

    It'd be easier to add "natural born" in front of "citizen" (as movetoamend.org advocates) but if we're going to nuke the 14th, might as well kill CP with it too...

    [EDIT: To be clear, we're talking about corporate persons being given 1st amendment rights, particularly as it relates to money as speech. Personhood for other reasons (such as owning land or being sued) should remain.]
    Last edited by Remathilis; August 25th, 2015 at 10:55 PM.
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

  • #88
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,100

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    Sorta. Its a quote from a justice from before the formal reading of the verdict, added to the headnote by the law clerk and cited from there on. Point is, without the 14th, you have nothing to base the CP argument on.

    It'd be easier to add "natural born" in front of "citizen" (as movetoamend.org advocates) but if we're going to nuke the 14th, might as well kill CP with it too...

    [EDIT: To be clear, we're talking about corporate persons being given 1st amendment rights, particularly as it relates to money as speech. Personhood for other reasons (such as owning land or being sued) should remain.]
    So, you're against unions having free speech rights?

  • #89
    cowabunga! Remathilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio
    4,674

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    So, you're against unions having free speech rights?
    Sure. I'll take losing the UAW money to take out the Americans For Prosperity and super PAC money.
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

  • #90
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,100

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    Sure. I'll take losing the UAW money to take out the Americans For Prosperity and super PAC money.
    Deal.

  • Page 6 of 338 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242556106 ... LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •