Thread: Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

One of the biggest coal companies in the US, Cloud Peak Energy, is filing for bankruptcy.

The information disclosed shows something that might surprise no one, and convince no one to change his or her opinion on anything, but, well, it looks as if they funded climate change denial research and "think tanks".
    https://theintercept.com/2019/05/16/...d-peak-energy/
    (Of course they fund the only legimiate science in the area of climate research! What else are they supposed to do, if the entire rest of the scientists are engaging in a mass delusion and hurting their business? It's just like it was with the poor tobacco companies, murdered, or at least mutiliated, by some alleged scientific consensus!)

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Mmmm, spicy!

I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

In the UK, it has become popular to throw milkshakes at politicians as a sign of protest.
    This went so far that the police asked McDonald to stop providing milkshakes during a public event. it didn't work.

A resonse to this:
    https://twitter.com/Mr_John_Oxley/st...85287528394752
    The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a milkshake is a good guy with a milkshake. Milkshake control is not the answer.
    I am sure Americans will appreciate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    In the UK, it has become popular to throw milkshakes at politicians as a sign of protest.
    This went so far that the police asked McDonald to stop providing milkshakes during a public event. it didn't work.

A resonse to this:

LOL I do. Even though I am for stronger gun control, I absolutely do appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post

A resonse to this:

Maybe they should switch up their ammunition and go for eggs to the back of the head ala Australia?

Edit: found this relevant bit on FB just after this post

Last edited by Palaralae; May 22nd, 2019 at 10:39 PM.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Maybe they should switch up their ammunition and go for eggs to the back of the head ala Australia?
    So you're cool with people being assaulted? Good to know...

And is it okay when corporations are encouraging the assault?

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    So you're cool with people being assaulted? Good to know...
    We've covered this before. I'm okay with shaming those who egregiously need it via harmless means. An egg splatted on the back of the head or a milkshake tossed on your suit is pretty pacifistic compared to the historical examples in the meme I posted.

And yes, some of these shitweasels making unconstitutional laws like the abortion bans coming out of Alabama, Ohio, etc. could do with some consequences for their actions.

C'mon, where's your cries of 'eat the rich!' now, hmmm?

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    We've covered this before. I'm okay with shaming those who egregiously need it via harmless means.
    Again, assault is assault. A civilized person fights words with words, not throwing things because they aren't capable of articulating their words.

An egg splatted on the back of the head or a milkshake tossed on your suit is pretty pacifistic compared to the historical examples in the meme I posted.
    That 'historic meme' is also contemporary. See above's "throw bricks not beers".

And apparently Irish and Scottish protestors have returned to ye olde classic of "car bomb people whose politics I'm not capable of articulating against"...

C'mon, where's your cries of 'eat the rich!' now, hmmm?
    "Eat the rich" doesn't include me by design. I'll never be rich... "Assault people I don't like politically" does include me. I prefer to discourage assault against me*, at least until my dark legions show up at which point we'll run out walls to put people against...

"Tax the rich, feed the poor
    'Till there are no rich no more"

Man, great song.

* Which is why I live in civilization rather than Cimmeria.
    Last edited by nail bunny; May 23rd, 2019 at 11:48 AM.

Again, assault is assault. A civilized person fights words with words, not throwing things because they aren't capable of articulating their words.
    I think when the deck gets stacked against people with less voice, less power, less influence, etc., things tend to change a bit.

And apparently Irish and Scottish protestors have returned to ye olde classic of "car bomb people whose politics I'm not capable of articulating against"...
    The whole thing about The Troubles goes back to far more than politics, since it started as a religious schism. Politics just added gasoline onto that entrenched fire.

"Assault people I don't like politically" does include me.
    I think there's perhaps a vast canyon of difference between "people I don't like politically" and "people saying/doing pretty fucking heinous things and working to implement really shitty things". I haven't seen exactly what is being said by the people getting pelted by milkshakes that is apparently deserving of them, so I can't speak as to any justification of that. Dude in Australia that got the egg to the back of the head by the young lad, however, totally deserved that and the shaming/ridicule that followed.

* Which is why I live in civilization rather than Cimmeria.
    Odd, Florida seems to be kind of the epitome of Weird Shit That Doesn't Belong in 'Civilization'.

And is it okay when corporations are encouraging the assault?
    One would hope that that post actually is some tongue-in-cheek humour or sarcasm, which doesn't always come across well in text.

If it isn't, perhaps they're following the example set by the Orange Shitgibbon. Which doesn't excuse it or make it right, either.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I think when the deck gets stacked against people with less voice, less power, less influence, etc., things tend to change a bit.
    So... how poor do i need to be before it becomes okay for me to murder a US politician. Things change a bit right?

The whole thing about The Troubles goes back to far more than politics, since it started as a religious schism. Politics just added gasoline onto that entrenched fire.
    How poor do the Scots need to be before carbombing their MEPs becomes okay?

I haven't seen exactly what is being said by the people getting pelted by milkshakes that is apparently deserving of them...
    Arguing for Brexit.

Note, I said "arguing for", they aren't even in a position of power to determine it (though they are campaigning for Parliament, I think?).

This would be essentially the same as people throwing food at anyone running for Congress in America.

Odd, Florida seems to be kind of the epitome of Weird Shit That Doesn't Belong in 'Civilization'.
    Florida Man is civilized, and that's a part of his troubles.

One would hope that that post actually is some tongue-in-cheek humour or sarcasm, which doesn't always come across well in text.
    No doubt it's a 'comedic advertising' attempt and is laughable... right up until a brick gets thrown.

Oh, right. Humans have never not thrown bricks.

So... how poor do i need to be before it becomes okay for me to murder a US politician. Things change a bit right?
    Dude. I was under the impression we were discussing things along the lines of relatively harmless shaming, like throwing milkshakes and splatting eggs. Not sure how we got to politician-murdering.

Arguing for Brexit.

Note, I said "arguing for", they aren't even in a position of power to determine it (though they are campaigning for Parliament, I think?).
    This would be essentially the same as people throwing food at anyone running for Congress in America.
    Oh, that again. Yeah, that's a bit much into the weeds of idealistic politics and philosophy, not so much the overbearing trampling of basic human rights. So, we are agreed that discourse is the better tool there. I reserve the eggs and milkshakes for true shitstains more deserving of that sort of shaming.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Dude. I was under the impression we were discussing things along the lines of relatively harmless shaming, like throwing milkshakes and splatting eggs.
    That isn't "shaming", that's assault.

Not sure how we got to politician-murdering.
    You keep saying assault is okay as long as it's the 'right' targets from the 'right' aggressors for the 'right' reasons*. I'm just checking to see if the aggressor is poor enough, if that turns murder into 'shaming' too. Checking your slope sliders.

* AKA ye olde "No bad tactics, only bad targets" fallacy.

Oh, that again. Yeah, that's a bit much into the weeds of idealistic politics and philosophy, not so much the overbearing trampling of basic human rights.
    So... freedom from assault isn't a basic human right?
    Last edited by nail bunny; May 24th, 2019 at 11:05 AM.

I think there's perhaps a vast canyon of difference between "people I don't like politically" and "people saying/doing pretty fucking heinous things and working to implement really shitty things". I haven't seen exactly what is being said by the people getting pelted by milkshakes that is apparently deserving of them, so I can't speak as to any justification of that. Dude in Australia that got the egg to the back of the head by the young lad, however, totally deserved that and the shaming/ridicule that followed.
    So you're okay with violence being used against people whose words you disagree with. Because it was violence. There's nothing pacifistic about assaulting someone with an object.

I was listening to a reporter talk about Florida the other day. He was saying that Florida doesn't have more odd things happen than any other state. What makes Florida SEEM so much worse, is that it is that it believes strongly in not hiding things from the public, so its laws make it super easy for reporters to find out info. They can just walk into a precinct and ask to look at all their recent stuff and it will be handed over lickity split. Other states make reporters jump through hoops and fight disclosure, so the result is that Florida appears to have 10x more strange shit happen, but it's really not any worse than say Kentucky, California or New York.

Dude. I was under the impression we were discussing things along the lines of relatively harmless shaming, like throwing milkshakes and splatting eggs. Not sure how we got to politician-murdering.
    Things unexpectedly flying at people cause them to jump and dodge to avoid whatever it is. It's very reasonable and foreseeable that someone would hurt himself or others trying to avoid that unexpected object, even to the point of jumping or falling in front of a vehicle. This "harmless shaming" you are referring to should result in assault charges at the very least, and more serious charges if someone is hurt or killed as a result of this reckless behavior.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    https://chaser.com.au/entertainment/...es-his-sister/

The state of Alabama has today greenlit a revised episode of children’s cartoon Arthur, which had previously been banned after it was revealed character Mr Ratburn was to marry a male partner. Having initially been blacklisted in the state for displaying a form of sexuality which censors described as “unnatural”, Alabama has now reversed its ban, after the show’s creators agreed to change the ending so that Mr Ratburn instead marries his sister/second-cousin Emma, in a twist described as “much more in line with Alabanian values.”

• Page 349 of 355 FirstFirst ... 249299330331332333334335336337338339340341342343344345346347348349350351352353354355 LastLast