Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    Fuck you, Melissa Harris-Perry.
    Social Justice for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    In her defense, I didn't hear the word "slave" come out of her mouth. On the other hand, incessant hijacking of language and idiom is really beginning to piss me off.
    It was a badly disguised feminist rant that drug in intersectional racist nonsense.
    Last edited by nail bunny; October 27th, 2015 at 02:29 PM.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    and she has to Kanye the statement.
    Watch your mouth. Criticizing Kanye is racist now.

School-Desk-gate

That officer was entirely justified. Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    School-Desk-gate

That officer was entirely justified. Discuss.
    Disagree. He had a few more options he should have exercised prior to the takedown. Ultimately, I think it would have gone there, but I also think that threatened use of a taser would have had a 50/50 chance of compliance without physicality. Of course, I don't think he should have actually Tasered a sitting person, but you can threaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Disagree. He had a few more options he should have exercised prior to the takedown. Ultimately, I think it would have gone there, but I also think that threatened use of a taser would have had a 50/50 chance of compliance without physicality. Of course, I don't think he should have actually Tasered a sitting person, but you can threaten.
    I'd have liked him to threaten her with the taser and seek compliance, on that part we'll agree. However as soon as he reached in and she punched him he had every right to drop her on her head for great justice. With that said, she caused the backflip by fighting against him and leaning back in the desk. Those things are tippy as fuck when you get back beyond a few degrees. I learned that the hard way. Everything after that looks worse than it actually was because she was kicking and got her leg caught in the desk, causing it to spin and drag around after her.

So yeah. Fuck her, I hope she's bruised and banged up.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/us/sou...lds/index.html

A student at Spring Valley High School has come to the officer's defense.

Reginald Seabrooks, one of the students who captured the incident on video, added this to his YouTube posting:

The officer in this is a cool dude, he is not Racist!!!. Girl was asked her to put the phone away, but told teacher no and Administrator was called and asked her to come to his office. She told him no, he then called the resource officer. When he got there he asked her nicely to get up. Over and over he did nothing wrong. They asked her to get up but she wanted to show off. To some it looks bad but she wanted to prove that she was bad.

"Accidentally detached" my ass! Obama tasked the blimp to surveil Rick Santorum's booty calls.

Quote Originally Posted by npr.prg
    Giant Surveillance 'Blimp' Untethers And Drifts Over Pennsylvania

A giant surveillance "blimp" that had been tethered to a mooring at an Army installation in Maryland is now loose and drifting over Pennsylvania. In a statement, the North American Aeropsace Defense Command said the Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor System (JLENS) aerostat had detached from its mooring a little after noon on Wednesday. Two F-16 fighter jets from Atlantic City were dispatched to monitor the blimp, which is holding at approximately 16,000 feet. "NORAD officials are working closely with the FAA to ensure air traffic safety, as well as with our other interagency partners to address the safe recovery of the aerostat," the agency said in the statement.
    link
    Attached Images Attached Images

Obama be oppressing the conservatives again somehow, that's all you really gotta know.

Keystone XL is dead. I can't wait to read my FB feed tonight when some of my conservative friends start sharing around the inevitable dumbfuck memes on shitholes like YoungConservatives

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Keystone XL is dead. I can't wait to read my FB feed tonight when some of my conservative friends start sharing around the inevitable dumbfuck memes on shitholes like YoungConservatives
    Eh. Canada will just ship it across to the west coast and sell it to China. Nothing changes environmentally, but the idiots in the US and Canada get to pretend they did a good thing.

EDIT: oh, hey, haven't you guys had some issues lately with oil train accidents? Yeah, so, let's do more of that, eh.

Good riddance. On the plus side, Republicans and Democrats can now find common ground as they figure out how to first defund and ultimately repeal Obama's rejection of the pipeline.

And yes, the oil and its attendant pollution will still go somewhere, but at least the US won't be contributing that much more to the problem, and the additional pipeline leaks/spills* won't be in our own backyards. "If we don't pollute, someone else will, so it might as well be us" is not a good environmental policy.

*Are oil trains more likely to spill than pipelines? I have no statistics for this.
    Last edited by Advocatus Diaboli; November 6th, 2015 at 05:28 PM.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    *Are oil trains more likely to spill than pipelines? I have no statistics for this.
    Found this - might help.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1069624/ho...-be-surprised/

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    Yup, and if you put those values at a gallons spilled per gallons moved per year, pipeline spills virtually disappear. Pipelines are the cleanest and safest way to move oil. Even in the event of an intentional breach, the flow control monitors and controls will limit the actual spillage. The environmental boogeymen raised against Keystone are ridiculous -- it's the best and cleanest method available to move the oil. And it's going to move.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    And yes, the oil and its attendant pollution will still go somewhere, but at least the US won't be contributing that much more to the problem, and the additional pipeline leaks/spills* won't be in our own backyards. "If we don't pollute, someone else will, so it might as well be us" is not a good environmental policy.
    Neither is foisting it off into areas that have fewer controls and taking an economic loss. Keystone is all around cleaner than shipping oil to China (trans Canada shipping via truck/train, trans Pacific shipping via supertanker, many fewer restrictions on pollution in China). Plus, it shifts the economic benefit a great deal. Canada will get less because the cost to move it to China is more, and the US will lose due to having to purchase more expensive oil elsewhere. So we both are going to pay more to have less, an the environment will pay a larger price for our misplaced green piety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Eh. Canada will just ship it across to the west coast and sell it to China. Nothing changes environmentally, but the idiots in the US and Canada get to pretend they did a good thing.

EDIT: oh, hey, haven't you guys had some issues lately with oil train accidents? Yeah, so, let's do more of that, eh.
    I don't have any particular dog in that fight, apart from opposing things that get rammed through by science-fearing politicos on both sides of the border.

On that basis alone killing the deal is at least a partial win, even if the thing might have turned out positive in the long run.

• Page 19 of 355 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373869119 ... LastLast