Thread: Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

I'm not sure the former CIA director having his personal e-mail hacked is more embarrassing than the revelation that it was an AOL account.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I'm not sure the former CIA director having his personal e-mail hacked is more embarrassing than the revelation that it was an AOL account.
    AOL is still around? Wow.

That brings back memories of getting stuck on the lifts in Everquest.

And dying.

Repeatedly.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

let them eat arugula! Vigilance's Avatar
    Province
    Tampa, Florida
    Oratio

Ignore User
    In the process of lobbing grenades at Jeb! Trump has begun demolishing W's reputation for "keeping us safe". Except for the worst terrorist attack in American history and a super shitty response to Katrina but hey, what's two mass casualty events? Everyone gets THREE strikes, right?

And here, Trump makes perhaps the most honest, sanest, and above all, unassailably correct statement he’s uttered during this campaign season thus far. Though endless outlets criticized the billionaire for blaming Bush for the attacks (and I’ll defer to Peter Beinart’s excellent Atlantic piece on why that’s also true), the question of blame is essentially irrelevant. What’s unquestionably true is that Bush did not keep us safe, a basic reality revealed by the fact of 9/11. It’s not rocket science. And yet, for 13 years now, even Bush’s foes haven’t said as much.

In the days since that appearance, Trump has used his Twitter to double down on his remarks, highlighting issues that seem likely to damage Jeb Bush’s campaign and to make it difficult to continue his defense of his brother. These tweets included an article pointing out that Jeb Bush, in his 2013 book Immigration Wars, had written that 9/11 could partly be attributed to the U.S.’ “leaky immigration” policy at the time; a link to a New York Times article pointing out that more than a month ahead of the attacks, during an intelligence briefing, Bush was provided with a classified document titled “Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S”; a reminder that none other than Jeb Bush was governor of Florida when all 12 of the highjackers acquired identification through legal means in the state; and a Buzzfeed News piece excerpting a 2000 letter by Trump warning of the potential for a major terrorist attack on U.S. soil, in which the billionaire makes specific reference to Osama bin Laden.
    http://www.salon.com/2015/10/22/dona...ium=socialflow
    Last edited by Vigilance; October 22nd, 2015 at 02:03 PM.

The Justice Department notified members of Congress that it is closing its two-year investigation into whether the IRS improperly targeted tea party and other conservative groups. There will be no charges against former IRS official Lois Lerner or anyone else at the agency.

Anyone remember when that was all that Mistwell could talk about? You stupid fuck, you got yet another one wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

A proper article to go with that:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/23/politi...rty/index.html

Washington (CNN)The Justice Department notified members of Congress on Friday that it is closing its two-year investigation into whether the IRS improperly targeted tea party and other conservative groups.

There will be no charges against former IRS official Lois Lerner or anyone else at the agency, the Justice Department said in a letter.

The probe found "substantial evidence of mismanagement, poor judgment and institutional inertia leading to the belief by many tax-exempt applicants that the IRS targeted them based on their political viewpoints. But poor management is not a crime."

"We found no evidence that any IRS official acted based on political, discriminatory, corrupt, or other inappropriate motives that would support a criminal prosecution," Assistant Attorney General Peter Kadzik said in the letter. "We also found no evidence that any official involved in the handling of tax-exempt applications or IRS leadership attempted to obstruct justice. Based on the evidence developed in this investigation and the recommendation of experienced career prosecutors and supervising attorneys at the department, we are closing our investigation and will not seek any criminal charges."

The IRS mishandled the processing of tax-exempt applications in a manner that disproportionately impacted applicants affiliated with the tea party and similar groups, leaving the appearance that the IRS's conduct was motivated by political, discriminatory, corrupt, or other inappropriate motive.

However, ineffective management is not a crime. The Department of Justice's exhaustive probe revealed no evidence that would support a criminal prosecution.
    So no illegal intent or effort, just pure incompetence. That puts them at about a 3 out of 10 on the usual republican scale.

Official Topic Approver COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Strithe's Avatar
    Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    A proper article to go with that:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/23/politi...rty/index.html

So no illegal intent or effort, just pure incompetence. That puts them at about a 3 out of 10 on the usual republican scale.
    And of course a Justice Department headed by an appointee of the President, investigating allegations of wrongdoing targeting said President's political opponents, is a completely fair and impartial judge of these events.

Quote Originally Posted by Strithe View Post
    And of course a Justice Department headed by an appointee of the President, investigating allegations of wrongdoing targeting said President's political opponents, is a completely fair and impartial judge of these events.
    I'm sure they're twice as fair and impartial as the Select Committee on Benghazi no wait on email servers no wait on Sydney Blumenthal.

Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilance View Post
    In the process of lobbing grenades at Jeb! Trump has begun demolishing W's reputation for "keeping us safe". Except for the worst terrorist attack in American history and a super shitty response to Katrina but hey, what's two mass casualty events? Everyone gets THREE strikes, right?

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/22/dona...ium=socialflow
    At first I was surprised that the likes of Salon.com or Alternet were saying anything positive (however backhanded) about Trump. I see a couple of things at work. The first is, of course, Bush Derangement Syndrome.

The second is I think there's a school of thought that Trump is the best thing that ever happened because he's so obviously crazy there's no way he'd stand against Clinton (or Sanders, for the truly delusional lefties that think the 2015 Democratic Primary is anything other than Hillary's Turn). They might themselves horrifyingly surprised in 13 months' time.

Personally, I want to see Trump in the White House. Not that I think he'd be anything close to a good president. I just want to see the intense mental gymnastics that Democratic Party Faithful will go through to defend their notions of how things will get better as long as we keep giving ever more power & financial control to the political class. Not that their minds will change, Progressives will just blame the Koch brothers, or Citizens United, or they'll do like they did in 2004 & claim the election was rigged (and yet get oddly indignant when the same accusation is lobbed just as haphazardly as them in 2008). Under no circumstances will they admit that maybe giving absolute, unaccountable power to people whose primary skill is in telling 51% of voters whatever they want to hear on election day is a less than good idea.

Province
    3rd circle of hell
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm sure they're twice as fair and impartial as the Select Committee on Benghazi no wait on email servers no wait on Sydney Blumenthal.
    I never said the other bullshit committees were fair (that's Misty's schtick). I just happened to have some spare time when I noticed you quoting political appointees as if they were Arbiters of Absolute Truth.

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Strithe View Post
    Under no circumstances will theyconservatives admit that maybe giving absolute, unaccountable power to the 0.1% of people whose primary skill is in telling 51% of voters whatever they want to hear on election dayhoarding money is a less than good idea.
    fify

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

Fuck you, Melissa Harris-Perry.

https://youtu.be/XKdtAxXGh-Y
    Last edited by PWD; October 27th, 2015 at 05:35 AM.

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Fuck you, Melissa Harris-Perry.

https://youtu.be/XKdtAxXGh-Y
    WTF?

This is the shit that degrades quickly. Here's a guy talking about how someone like Gutierrez speaks highly of Ryan....and she has to Kanye the statement.
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    WTF?

This is the shit that degrades quickly. Here's a guy talking about how someone like Gutierrez speaks highly of Ryan....and she has to Kanye the statement.
    In her defense, I didn't hear the word "slave" come out of her mouth. On the other hand, incessant hijacking of language and idiom is really beginning to piss me off.

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    In her defense, I didn't hear the word "slave" come out of her mouth. On the other hand, incessant hijacking of language and idiom is really beginning to piss me off.
    Yeah...because there are so many people still picking cotton by hand...

Regardless...I wasn't reacting to the word "slave" or even the hijack of the term "hard working". I'm talking about her interrupting on that stupid minor point as a way to slow down her colleague from saying anything positive about Ryan. That's all it was about. She could give a shit about the term "hard working". This was a rhetorical method of redirection because she couldn't address the point being made - that Ryan might not be such a bad guy to make some strides towards bi-partisanship.

I should be happy, in a way. I hope they play that for the "freedom" caucus...let them chew on that and maybe decide Ryan, if he pisses her off so much, must be the right choice.
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

• Page 18 of 355 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363768118 ... LastLast