Thread: Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I've been to two of them. Chi town wasn't what I'd call friendly like, but then I come from the friendliest city in the US. Good pizza, though.

Philly if the site of the most terrifying cab ride of my life which ended with the cab driver telling me off for not tipping (he was driving at speed in traffic between the lanes so he could have an argument with another can driver in farsi). I also recall my impression of philly as 'dingy'.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    Have you ever been to any of those places?
    I've been to all of them, and I met lovely residents of all of them. But I've also heard those same residents complain that people can be real dickwads.

New York in particular I found to be full of really friendly people, but I was told it's a whole different world once you get off the tourist track.
    Last edited by BeigeLantern; October 8th, 2015 at 12:32 AM.
    J. Harshaw: A desire not to butt into other people’s business is at least eighty percent of all human wisdom.
    Duke: You butt into other people’s business. All the time.
    J. Harshaw: Who said I was wise?
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

I think any big city is likely to appear less friendly on average. When you're constantly surrounded by other people, you develop the ability to ignore most of them. It's not a matter of friendliness, its just focusing in on the things you really need to pay attention to.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Looks like Kevin McCarthy is the front runner to replace Boehner. The big question is, is he dumb enough to lead the reactionary wing of the Republican party?

Yes. Yes, he is. I mean, we knew the Benghazi committee was primarily about politics. But it takes a spectacularly dumb person to admit to that on live TV.
    And...now he's out. Stepping down from the race for Speaker. I wonder what dirt someone threatened him with? Though it could be he thought he didn't have the votes, as the article points out a group of 40 were backing a Florida rep instead.
    I like hats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    And...now he's out. Stepping down from the race for Speaker. I wonder what dirt someone threatened him with? Though it could be he thought he didn't have the votes, as the article points out a group of 40 were backing a Florida rep instead.
    Wonder if it's related to this?
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

I wonder what dirt someone threatened him with?

Was McCarthy boinking Rep. Elmers (R-NC)?

link

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    Was McCarthy boinking Rep. Elmers (R-NC)?
    He should consider diversionary tactics, like sending himself email alleging he had paid gay sex behind a night club.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    He should consider diversionary tactics, like sending himself email alleging he had paid gay sex behind a night club.
    Then resign before you are impeached and then run for your old seat in the special election.

Pure Michigan
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    Then resign before you are impeached and then run for your old seat in the special election.

Pure Michigan
    Eh, both Minnesota and Florida could pull that off
    I like hats.

let them eat arugula! Vigilance's Avatar
    Province
    Tampa, Florida
    Oratio

Ignore User
    People Magazine has posted the phone number of all 535 congress persons and asked their readers to call and advocate gun control.

As President Obama said, our responses to these incidents — from politicians, from the media, from nearly everyone — have become "routine." We all ask ourselves the same questions: How could it happen again? What are we doing about gun violence in America? There are no easy answers, of course. Some argue for stricter gun laws, others say we should focus on mental health issues, some point to a culture that celebrates violence.
    But this much we know: As a country we clearly aren't doing enough, and our elected officials' conversations about solutions usually end in political spin.
    http://theweek.com/speedreads/581824...antigun-agenda

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilance View Post
    People Magazine has posted the phone number of all 535 congress persons and asked their readers to call and advocate gun control.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/581824...antigun-agenda
    Do nothing is often a far better option that a random Do Something! If you can't articulate a solution to advocate for, you shouldn't advocate for Something! It's irresponsible as all fuck.

let them eat arugula! Vigilance's Avatar
    Province
    Tampa, Florida
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Do nothing is often a far better option that a random Do Something! If you can't articulate a solution to advocate for, you shouldn't advocate for Something! It's irresponsible as all fuck.
    Do nothing really seems to be not working though.

But what they seem to be advocating is just a call for actual debate that isn't meaningless spin. If that qualifies as "irresponsible as all fuck" then clearly we are well and truly unwilling to do anything but watch people get fucking slaughtered in the name of politics.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilance View Post
    Do nothing really seems to be not working though.
    Really? Violent crime including gun deaths are declining.

But what they seem to be advocating is just a call for actual debate that isn't meaningless spin. If that qualifies as "irresponsible as all fuck" then clearly we are well and truly unwilling to do anything but watch people get fucking slaughtered in the name of politics.
    Really. You think that bombarding Congress with calls to Do Something will lead to actual debate that isn't meaningless spin? Yeah, I think relying on Congress to have a meaningful debate when they're being put under pressure to Do Something, Anything, Right Now! is pretty irresponsible as all fuck.

And there's a big difference between being critical of idiots running around screaming 'Do Something, We're Hystericals!1' and ignoring the issue. Sorry you can't see that through all of your arm waving and hysterics.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Eh, both Minnesota and Florida could pull that off
    he was poking fun at a Michigan tourism slogan, methinks.

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BeigeLantern View Post
    I've been to all of them, and I met lovely residents of all of them. But I've also heard those same residents complain that people can be real dickwads.

New York in particular I found to be full of really friendly people, but I was told it's a whole different world once you get off the tourist track.
    Fair enough.
    Spoiler Alert!

• Page 15 of 338 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333465115 ... LastLast