Thread: Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    So... an event which occurred after the penning of the Constituion is being sited as disagreement for a reason article two was penned.

You do understand how time works yes?
    I'm saying Mr. Founding Father who watched over the writing of the Constitution was quick to suppress a rebellion (one where citizens took up arms to overthrow their government over taxation-without-representation) when HE was to be on the receiving end of ouster.

The notion the the 2nd amendment was designed to allow citizens armed insurrection is a ludicrous piece of Alex Jones-level crackpottery. Owning guns for hunting and defense? Sure. To be conscripted into militias? Most definitely. To overthrow the US government? No way in fucking hell.
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    I'm saying Mr. Founding Father who watched over the writing of the Constitution was quick to suppress a rebellion (one where citizens took up arms to overthrow their government over taxation-without-representation) when HE was to be on the receiving end of ouster.

The notion the the 2nd amendment was designed to allow citizens armed insurrection is a ludicrous piece of Alex Jones-level crackpottery. Owning guns for hunting and defense? Sure. To be conscripted into militias? Most definitely. To overthrow the US government? No way in fucking hell.
    You should read some of the debates on the amendments...hell the second was apparently written around the time of the whiskey rebellion, so the latter might very well have influenced the former. But it's pretty clear that concern over the tyranny of a federal government, and the individual's right to resist that oppression (whether or not they actually could) was at the heart of the 2nd.
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So? They were afforded the right to be armed to prevent a tyranny, that they couldn't actually organize strongly enough to overthrow what they thought to be tyranny doesn't reduce that right.

And even Washington was hesitant to use armed force in that situation, that he may have felt it was inevitable and necessary is not the issue.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I hope this guy wins, he'd be the most \m/ METAL \m/ person in the US Senate.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/featu...005-story.html

(Bonus points for being from Florida AND trying to oust Rubio).
    Last edited by Remathilis; October 5th, 2015 at 08:50 PM.
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    That's not why the Second Amendment was as strongly worded as it was.
    Sure it is. The primary reason for the second amendment was so the States would be able to quickly raise a militia in response to the sort of frontier type threats that were commonplace back then. If the people had their own weapons, then they could be raised quicker and would have a better understanding of their weapons, and it would be cheaper. You gotta remember that the late 18th century was the period in time when the gap between professional soldier and militia was lowest (among agrarian societies. Horse nomads, on the other hand..)

It's because yokels with their own firearms were able to overthrow the government when it was needed. The future ability to do so should there again be a need was ingrained into the second amendment.
    This is also sort of correct. The Founding Fathers, incorrectly as it turns out, feared that their elected government could turn to tyranny as easily as the autocratic governments of Europe. At the time, as I said, the difference between an armed peasant and a professional soldier was at or near an all time low, and the peasant rebellions in Europe prior to the Revolutionary War had mainly failed because the peasants had terrible equipment.

But as it turned out, overthrowing your dutifully elected government hasn't been necessary (not even during the Civil War, as the State governments were still dutifully elected and acting on the will of the people). And as the gap between professional soldier and armed peasant has considerably widened, having a population armed with the kind of weapons individuals can afford (no one is buying fucking tanks, grow up) is of doubtful utility even if it became necessary. The only entities capable of maintaining sufficient weapons of war would be corporations, anyways, and if there's anything tinfoil hat types should trust less than their elected officials, it would be the corrupt motherfuckers who do their best to buy elections.

So my point stands: the practical utility the 2nd amendment was supposed to provide the American people is no longer valid, and the only remaining argument for keeping it is "fuck off, I like guns". But I lean very Libertarian, so I'm not saying that that is an invalid argument. If we as a people decide that the violence resulting from readily available weapons is worth the risk vs the enjoyment of owning weapons, then by all means we should own weapons. I even own a couple, tho I've not fired then in years. I find hunting incredibly dull, and despite my father's efforts to get me into it.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    This is also sort of correct.
    It's absolutely correct. That there are other pressing needs does not diminish that.

The Founding Fathers, incorrectly as it turns out, feared that their elected government could turn to tyranny as easily as the autocratic governments of Europe.
    Well yes. It's only taken 200 years to get to the point where the corps (unthought of in the day) could be in position to start taking over. But we still need a capacity to rise up if the need comes. Surrendering all weapons is dumb.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Do you have some kind of counter-evidence to support your denouncement, other than calling it Alex Jones-level crackpottery?
    J. Harshaw: A desire not to butt into other people’s business is at least eighty percent of all human wisdom.
    Duke: You butt into other people’s business. All the time.
    J. Harshaw: Who said I was wise?
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    ...The notion the the 2nd amendment was designed to allow citizens armed insurrection is a ludicrous piece of Alex Jones-level crackpottery. Owning guns for hunting and defense? Sure. To be conscripted into militias? Most definitely. To overthrow the US government? No way in fucking hell.
    There's a school of thought that says it's both, actually. Take a look at the English Bill of Rights (and the rights to bear arms therein) and the reason that right was enshrined in the first place. The entire idea was a backlash against James II attempted disarming of Protestants before the Glorious Revolution.

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The 2nd amendment made a lot of sense when it was written, because there were still bandits and barbarians and a frontier and oppressive nobles and slave revolts. Now that getting raided isn't a likely occurrence, it's largely outlived it's usefulness. The only remaining reason for keeping the people armed is because they chose to be. It is no longer practical.
    British nobility were dispossessed (or bought out when they moved to Canada), and the Constitution prohibits establishing a new nobility.

Suppression of slave revolts is not a legitimate objective.

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    But as it turned out, overthrowing your dutifully elected government hasn't been necessary (not even during the Civil War, as the State governments were still dutifully elected and acting on the will of the people).
    The bigoted racist fucks of Wilmington, NC in 1898 disagree.

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

That said, I'm not shocked that travel guides highlight our best: people don't travel to Shitholes.
    New York. Chicago. Philly. San Francisco. These places are not particularly known for nice people, and all of them meet at least some criteria of a "Shithole." But I'm guessing these travelers are basing their appraisals much more on big cities like those than Middle America.
    J. Harshaw: A desire not to butt into other people’s business is at least eighty percent of all human wisdom.
    Duke: You butt into other people’s business. All the time.
    J. Harshaw: Who said I was wise?
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BeigeLantern View Post
    New York. Chicago. Philly. San Francisco. These places are not particularly known for nice people, and all of them meet at least some criteria of a "Shithole." But I'm guessing these travelers are basing their appraisals much more on big cities like those than Middle America.
    you take back what you said about Chicago....you take it right back!
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    you take back what you said about Chicago....you take it right back!
    Or Feanor and I will come over there and beat you the hell up!
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Or Feanor and I will come over there and beat you the hell up!
    Not me...personally..but I know a guy...over by there....
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BeigeLantern View Post
    Have you ever been to any of those places?
    Spoiler Alert!

• Page 14 of 354 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323364114 ... LastLast