Thread: Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Correct! Aside from its various (mis)interpretations, it has instructions for how to change the fucking document....written right there in it. It's fucking genius.
    Yeah... we need to do that a lot more often.

For instance, what's so hard about a Constitutional amendment that states corporations are not people?
    J. Harshaw: A desire not to butt into other people’s business is at least eighty percent of all human wisdom.
    Duke: You butt into other people’s business. All the time.
    J. Harshaw: Who said I was wise?
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BeigeLantern View Post
    Yeah... we need to do that a lot more often.

For instance, what's so hard about a Constitutional amendment that states corporations are not people?
    When Congress is owned by corporations: bloody impossible.
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

I don't think the 2nd Amendment has to be interpreted as strongly as it has. I think there's a lot of room for proper regulation, but in the current political environment, that's not likely to happen.

There are a few things going on here, in regards to guns and such:
    1. Violent crime is going down and has been for decades. Killings are more highly publicized but are not happening more often, although here has been an increase in mass killings since 2007, per wikipedia.
    2. Mass killings like the shooting in Oregon are a tiny portion of people killed by guns, circa 1%. 61% of gun deaths are suicides, again per wikipedia. 29% are gang-related, per this Huffington Post article.
    3. Mass killings are generally done with guns that the perpetrators got hold of in perfectly legal manners.
    4. Gang violence and such is a different story (see above). Gangs can get hold of illegal guns because they buy them in states where the laws are more lax - at least thats the story here in Chicago.
    5. Keeping guns out of the hands of school shooter types is really tough. Its very difficult to accurately profile them. There are a lot of angry young men out there, and only a tiny percent actually grabs their guns and go shoot people.
    6. Even with violent crime decreasing over the past few decades, we have way, way more than any other wealthy developed country.

People have this weird sense that everything is going to hell in a handbasket, whereas the actual data shows that in the world overall, things are actually getting better all the time. I blame the 24-hour news cycle more than anything else.

Cites are ones I could find fairly quickly, and had some cites & links of their own.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The government should never have access to force that I don't.

Yes, that means I should be able to own a tank.
    Or a nuke? Or some weaponized viruses?
    Spoiler Alert!

Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    Or a nuke? Or some weaponized viruses?
    Those are things we restrict other sovereign countries from having. In other words, it's reasonable not to trust citizens with things we don't trust governments with.
    J. Harshaw: A desire not to butt into other people’s business is at least eighty percent of all human wisdom.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The government should never have access to force that I don't.

Yes, that means I should be able to own a tank.
    So you're comfortable with the idea that your next door neighbor could be stockpiling grenades. Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    So you're comfortable with the idea that your next door neighbor could be stockpiling grenades. Fascinating.
    No more or less so than the government stockpiling them.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    No more or less so than the government stockpiling them.
    I don't live right next door to an armory, and I assume most soldiers are trained in proper care and handling of live munitions. I'm not sure my neighbor Bob with a case of pineapples in his basement has the same safeguards against their accidental detonation.

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Frankly, I'd be more comfortable if my grenade-hoarding neighbor also had to be certified and licensed in their use before they were able to actually purchase them. I'd be even more comfortable if they had to renew said license every year or two. I'd also like it if, if said neighbor was prone to violent outbursts or other bits of mental instability, some care was taken prior to his being able to purchase them.

As long as that neighbor been certified that they're capable of using those grenades in a regulated fashion, I'm mostly ok with them owning grenades. I'm not particularly keen on the notion of living next to an armory, but that's neither here nor there.
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. - Douglas Adams

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by RedWick View Post
    Frankly, I'd be more comfortable if my grenade-hoarding neighbor also had to be certified and licensed in their use before they were able to actually purchase them. I'd be even more comfortable if they had to renew said license every year or two. I'd also like it if, if said neighbor was prone to violent outbursts or other bits of mental instability, some care was taken prior to his being able to purchase them.

As long as that neighbor been certified that they're capable of using those grenades in a regulated fashion, I'm mostly ok with them owning grenades. I'm not particularly keen on the notion of living next to an armory, but that's neither here nor there.
    What about an A-10....'cause I want an A-10....
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Quote Originally Posted by RedWick View Post
    I'd agree with that, provided it didn't become a Jim Crow of weapon ownership with standards more difficult to uphold than the military.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    The 2nd amendment made a lot of sense when it was written, because there were still bandits and barbarians and a frontier and oppressive nobles and slave revolts. Now that getting raided isn't a likely occurrence, it's largely outlived it's usefulness. The only remaining reason for keeping the people armed is because they chose to be. It is no longer practical.
    That's not why the Second Amendment was as strongly worded as it was.

It's because yokels with their own firearms were able to overthrow the government when it was needed. The future ability to do so should there again be a need was ingrained into the second amendment.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    That's not why the Second Amendment was as strongly worded as it was.

It's because yokels with their own firearms were able to overthrow the government when it was needed. The future ability to do so should there again be a need was ingrained into the second amendment.
    George Washington wants to disagree with you on that...

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Note that Washington raised a militia from several states to deal with the Rebellion.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So... an event which occurred after the penning of the Constituion is being sited as disagreement for a reason article two was penned.

You do understand how time works yes?
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

• Page 13 of 356 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313263113 ... LastLast