Page 1 of 292 123456789101112131415161718192051101 ... LastLast

Thread: Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

Re: Lafayette shootings

Gg america, gg.

If you are gonna have lax gun control then what little control you do have needs to be effective. Clearly you have deep issues with crazy people having ready access to firearms like nowhere else in the world outside maybe somalia. This disingenuous bullshit after every week's killing about how nothing can be done is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yeah, but screw all those killed and maimed people- NOBODDY GUNNA TAKE AR GUNNZ!!!1!

[/standard answer to gun tragedy in the U.S.]
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    We have a bloc of voters who show up to every election and are willing to vote on one issue and one issue only. They are led by conniving people who use lies and hystrics to keep it that way.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I think guns should be regulated much like cars. Gun registration from manufacture to disposal. Every gun owner must be licensed with regular checks and tests. Every gun owner must pass a test to own guns. Every gun owner must have liability insurance on every gun owned. Tests would include a basic psychological screening.

The only people who would have their right to own a gun checked are criminals and the mentally ill, which everybody agrees are people who should not have guns.

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
    I think guns should be regulated much like cars. Gun registration from manufacture to disposal. Every gun owner must be licensed with regular checks and tests. Every gun owner must pass a test to own guns. Every gun owner must have liability insurance on every gun owned.
    But but but they'll take our guns!!! (Just like they did our cars.)
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    But but but they'll take our guns!!! (Just like they did our cars.)

I think the real problem is that lobbyists for the NRA are all either criminals or mentally ill.

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
    I think the real problem is that lobbyists for the NRA are all either criminals or mentally ill.
    I think you underestimate the degree to which some of them are genuinely convinced that anything that limits their right to keep and bear arms is an invitation to tyranny. There are (in some cases) real, genuine, understandable principles at stake for (some of) these guys.

That said, I think the idea that we should have a truly unrestricted right to K&BA is ridiculous. I don't think anyone really holds that position. After all, who wants the inner city gang bangers to be able, legally, to obtain weaponized anthrax (regardless of how difficult it is)? Who wants the crazy redneck next door to have a flamethrower, a minefield and an Apache helicopter gunship? Who wants the town drunk to have a nuke? Come on. Even the most fanatical gun rights supporter probably does draw a line somewhere.

EDIT: Imagine Donald Trump with a half-billion dollar arsenal.
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    I think you underestimate the degree to which some of them are genuinely convinced that anything that limits their right to keep and bear arms is an invitation to tyranny. There are (in some cases) real, genuine, understandable principles at stake for (some of) these guys.

That said, I think the idea that we should have a truly unrestricted right to K&BA is ridiculous. I don't think anyone really holds that position. After all, who wants the inner city gang bangers to be able, legally, to obtain weaponized anthrax (regardless of how difficult it is)? Who wants the crazy redneck next door to have a flamethrower, a minefield and an Apache helicopter gunship? Who wants the town drunk to have a nuke? Come on. Even the most fanatical gun rights supporter probably does draw a line somewhere.

EDIT: Imagine Donald Trump with a half-billion dollar arsenal.
    I think you miss the real truth of the matter. The NRA is NOT supported by membership dues. The NRA is mostly funded by gun manufacturers. That is who the NRA REALLY lobbies for. Any hindrance to immediately purchasing a gun on any whim lowers overall gun sales.

EDIT: I also believe that Barack Obama as president has been the biggest boon to the gun and ammunition manufacturers in the past fifty years. By ginning up the "he's gonna grab R GUNZZZZ!" nonsense, gun and ammunition sales have shot through the roof over the past six years. I suspect the gun lobby will work behind the scenes to insure Clinton wins.
    Last edited by Xyxox; July 24th, 2015 at 03:32 PM.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    We have a bloc of voters who show up to every election and are willing to vote on one issue and one issue only. They are led by conniving people who use lies and hystrics to keep it that way.
    Hey, now, no need to be mean to Democrats.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Hey, now, no need to be mean to Democrats.
    d00d,
    who lives in a Red state and is stuck with Hank "Guam" Johnson as their rep?

diaglo "i'm fucked either way" Ooi
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    d00d,
    who lives in a Red state and is stuck with Hank "Guam" Johnson as their rep?

diaglo "i'm fucked either way" Ooi
    I'd say try to primary the fool, but given the district that's not realistic.

Your only hope is redistricting after the 2020 census.

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Call it apathy, but I don't fucking care anymore.

You will be shot in a movie theater. You will be shot in a school. You will be shot in a church. You will be shot by an Islamic Terrorist. You will be shot by a Right Wing Nutjob. You will be shot by a cop during a traffic stop. You will be shot if your black or white, man or woman, Christian or Muslim. You will be shot if your an adult, child, teen, baby, or senior citizen. You will be shot if your armed. You will be shot if your unarmed.

Welcome to America. You will be shot. And there's nothing you can do about it.
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Man who bashed feminism, women, and abortion on the internet and talk radio shows goes to a theater showing a film starring a feminist actress with an audience of mostly women and goes on a shooting spree.

Motive is still unknown.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Remathilis View Post
    Welcome to America. You will be shot. And there's nothing you can do about it.
    And yet gunshot rates are down in the years since we were kids (and so are gun ownership rates among younger people - older people haven't seen the same decline).

• Page 1 of 292 123456789101112131415161718192051101 ... LastLast