Thread: Random political thoughts that don't rate their own thread

  1. #3301
    Aaaahh, shuutup! Kid Charlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Oratio
    3,699
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Another interesting article on partisanship and psychology.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vox
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    More than ever before, people of different ideological backgrounds seem to live in separate universes. One example: In the days after the inauguration, social scientists showed participants photos of Trump’s inaugural crowd and Obama’s. Those who had voted for Trump were more likely to say Trump had the larger turnout, despite obvious differences in the photos that demonstrated otherwise.

    Psychology can help explain these tense times. Old theories, like motivated reasoning, are more clearly true than ever before. And new work has confirmed that humanity still contains its same base instincts of the prehistoric era.
    I find #2 particularly amusing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vox
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    When the problem is about nonpolitical issues — like figuring out the whether a drug is effective — people tend to use their math skills to solve it. But when they’re evaluating something political — let’s say, the effectiveness of gun control measures — the trend is that the better participants are at math, the more partisan they are in their responses.

    “Partisans with weak math skills were 25 percentage points likelier to get the answer right when it fit their ideology,” Ezra Klein explained in a profile of Kahan’s work. “Partisans with strong math skills were 45 percentage points likelier to get the answer right when it fit their ideology. The smarter the person is, the dumber politics can make them.”

    And it’s not just for math problems: Kahan finds that Republicans who have higher levels of science knowledge are more stubborn when it comes to questions on climate change. The pattern is consistent: The more information we have, the more we bend it to serve our political aims. That’s why the current debate over “fake news” is a bit misguided: It’s not the case that if only people had perfectly true information, everyone would suddenly agree.
    Don't know anybody like that round these parts, no sir.

    This one is one I've been harping on for ages:

    Quote Originally Posted by Vox
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    The thing is, we often don’t realize that people have moral foundations different than our own.

    When we engage in political debates, we all tend to overrate the power of arguments we find personally convincing — and wrongly think the other side will be swayed.

    On gun control, for instance, liberals are persuaded by stats like, "No other developed country in the world has nearly the same rate of gun violence as does America." And they think other people will find this compelling, too.

    Conservatives, meanwhile, often go to this formulation: "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

    What both sides fail to understand is that they're arguing a point that their opponents may be inherently deaf to.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

 

  • #3302
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    27,698
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.

    Don't know anybody like that round these parts, no sir.
    You mean saying that warming is happening, CO2 is a cause, man had a stockist impact on the warming, and having a position that's entirely within the consensus, yeah, I guess that's serious political bias affecting things.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #3303
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    25,970
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    You mean saying that warming is happening, CO2 is a cause, man had a stockist impact on the warming, and having a position that's entirely within the consensus, yeah, I guess that's serious political bias affecting things.
    Did he mean you? That was not apparent to me. I mean you're a stubborn cuss, but there are a lot of stubborn cusses around here. KC is one of them.
    I like hats.

  • #3304
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    27,698
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Did he mean you? That was not apparent to me. I mean you're a stubborn cuss, but there are a lot of stubborn cusses around here. KC is one of them.
    Conservative, scientifically literate, and most likely here to challenge statements about climate change. Hums like an alpaca....
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #3305
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    25,970
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Conservative, scientifically literate, and most likely here to challenge statements about climate change. Hums like an alpaca....
    Sure I just assumed it was vox and they "conveniently" left out the obvious corollary - democrats who have higher levels of science knowledge are more stubborn when it comes to questions on climate change too. Because they said "[W]hen they’re evaluating something political ...the trend is that the better participants are at math, the more partisan they are in their responses."
    I like hats.

  • #3306
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    2,920
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Hums like an alpaca....
    You gave me a bit of a start, there, because I initially read that as "hung like an alpaca", and thought that was rather more, um, personally revealing than is normally your nature.
    The Mare-Headed Queen
    The Mari-Lwyd
    I was Mother of all the Herds
    Ten thousand years my shining foals
    Bridled with starlight
    Saddled with gold
    Leapt the divide
    Between living and dead
    Quickened the year
    With each toss of the head
    Galloped the deep of Beauty
    and Never grew old
    Let me in!

    And now I am Nightmare
    I am rattling womb
    The Uffington Wraith I've become
    Forced into darkness
    You've made me a fiend
    Bridled with Shadow
    Saddled with Scream
    From window to window
    Traversing the night
    My face in your glass
    In a shudder of light
    Seeking that deep of welcome
    Befitting a Queen
    Let me in once again
    Let me in!

  • #3307
    Yablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Oratio
    2,731
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    You mean saying that warming is happening, CO2 is a cause, man had a stockist impact on the warming, and having a position that's entirely within the consensus, yeah, I guess that's serious political bias affecting things.
    That is dishonest as you say many things about global warming.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    No, they won't. Dude, it averages well below freezing year round at the poles. Ice doesn't melt at few degrees higher than well below zero.

    Also, there isn't some magical amount of CO2 in the ice caps.

    You're right, it isn't linear, but that's because it logarithmic. Base response from a doubling of CO2 is about 1 degree. That means that for another degree of warming from CO2, it has to double from tight now. For another past that, it has to double keep again.

    Now, you may be imagining a high knock-on effect, but the IPCC has that as unlikely and the consensus of recent research is settling into the <3 degrees per doubling. That's not catastrophic.

    And, finally, the point at which the planet had the highest biodiversity ever, the average temperature was 10-15 degrees warmer than now. Yes, that world looks different from ours, but it's certainly not a desolate wasteland. Earth's ecosystem is delicate compared to what the universe can do. It's not terribly delicate to warming.


    Heh, sure.
    Instead of out right denying global warming you try to present it as something unimportant. It is like saying "cigarettes are bad, but they really aren't that bad. And all those cancers they are supposed to be the cause, it is all exagerated". It is the equivalent of denying, just with more circumvolutions and what you like to pass as scientific arguments.
    I am not Gary Busey.

  • #3308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Oratio
    96
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    You gave me a bit of a start, there, because I initially read that as "hung like an alpaca", and thought that was rather more, um, personally revealing than is normally your nature.
    I still wouldn't feel that to be all that revealing: I don't know how alpacas are hung. And I'm sure as hell not Googling it.

  • #3309
    %0 correct Scarbonac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio
    4,588
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by BowlingGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I still wouldn't feel that to be all that revealing: I don't know how alpacas are hung. And I'm sure as hell not Googling it.
    As big around as a pinky finger and 8"-12" long.
    "1 out of 3 Trump supporters is as stupid as the other 2"

  • #3310
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    27,698
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Y'all have some weird interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #3311
    self admitted prolifer kirinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    6,837
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Y'all have some weird interests.
    If it can be found, it can be googled.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

    I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

  • #3312
    Yablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Oratio
    2,731
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    DOP DnD on twitter. Hillarious.

    -I cast detect evil.

    -There is no evil. Only alt-good.

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/..._villainy.html
    I am not Gary Busey.

  • #3313
    cowabunga! Remathilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio
    4,656
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Yablo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    DOP DnD on twitter. Hillarious.

    -I cast detect evil.

    -There is no evil. Only alt-good.

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/..._villainy.html
    These are great
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

  • #3314
    Yablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Oratio
    2,731
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Republican Congress person says we must pass this bill to found out what is in it. I love irony. http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...l-nancy-pelosi
    I am not Gary Busey.

  • #3315
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    2,920
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    A Republican politician who was defending a new abortion bill claimed rape and incest could all be part of God’s will.



    Oklahoma representative George Faught also said “the Lord uses all circumstances” while debating the amendment in the US state’s House of Representatives.
    The bill would impose fines of $10,000, rising to $100,000, for any person who performs an abortion solely because of a diagnosis of Down’s syndrome or any other “genetic abnormality”.




    “Is rape the will of God?” asked Rep. Cory Williams.
    Mr Faught replied: “If you read the Bible, there’s actually a couple circumstances where that happened and the Lord uses all circumstances.
    “I mean, you can go down that path, but it’s a reality, unfortunately.”
    When Mr Williams pushed him on whether both rape and incest were the will of God, Mr Faught followed up: “It’s a great question to ask, and, obviously if it happens in someone’s life, it may not be the best thing that ever happened. But, so you’re saying that God is not sovereign with every activity that happens in someone’s life and can’t use anything and everything in someone’s life, and I disagree with that.”

    --------------------------------------


    WOW. Just...wow. I can't even.


    This is why I get so angry at some of these fuckwit shitstains that claim to be "Christians", especially those in politics; I hereby present Exhibit #275.


    I did some looking into sources just to make sure his comments weren't taken out of context or something, but no...this guy doubled down on the mind-bogglingly misogynistic comments and way of thinking.


    I hope this guy gets ass-raped in a dirty alley and contracts some horrible disease. Because that would be God's will, right? I'm sure that shit happened in Sodom and Gommorah, right? I bet if he reads the Bible and prays hard enough, he'll find some beauty in those ashes. Fuck, I swear people like this make me want to pound the stupid out of them with a fucking lead pipe. Wait, no...that causes too much damage too quickly.... how about a nice, soft, pine 2X4, instead?

    There needs to be a clip of the scene from the Game of Thrones episode where Drogon rescues Dany from the mob of Sons of the Harpy assassins in the fighting arena, and picks up that one guy in his jaws, shaking him like a terrier shakes a rat. That pretty much sums up what I'd love to see visited upon this guy.
    The Mare-Headed Queen
    The Mari-Lwyd
    I was Mother of all the Herds
    Ten thousand years my shining foals
    Bridled with starlight
    Saddled with gold
    Leapt the divide
    Between living and dead
    Quickened the year
    With each toss of the head
    Galloped the deep of Beauty
    and Never grew old
    Let me in!

    And now I am Nightmare
    I am rattling womb
    The Uffington Wraith I've become
    Forced into darkness
    You've made me a fiend
    Bridled with Shadow
    Saddled with Scream
    From window to window
    Traversing the night
    My face in your glass
    In a shudder of light
    Seeking that deep of welcome
    Befitting a Queen
    Let me in once again
    Let me in!

  • Page 221 of 266 FirstFirst ... 121171202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238239240 ... LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •