Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 304

Thread: Random Technology Thread

  1. #286
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    27,698
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphersmith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Prioritization is different from preference. Getting rid of net neutrality will allow your ISP to choose to prefer its content over Netflix unless Netflix pays a stupid amount of money. This is increasing the cost that customers pay without actually giving them better service. It will increase the cost that Netflix pays, which will get passed on to their customers. The same would be true of every streaming service, truthfully every website. And it would significantly increase the cost of entry for any internet based business. Which is bad for business. Anything that increases the cost of entry into business will decrease competition. This is the reason that utilities are regulated as they are. They naturally gravitate to being monopolies due to the high cost of entry into the business. The same is true of ISPs, and they should be regulated the same way.
    But this isn't happening without Net Neutrality, so no, no new government oversight (which has it's own costs that get passed to consumers and it's own rigid and slow changing rules that cannot possibly keep up with technology) based on 'but they might misbehave!'

    And, if your ISP cannot give Netflix priority, then your steam will now vie with bunny's torrent for priority -- you'll buffer so he can dl in a timely manner his illegal pirated copy of the movie you're trying to watch and paying for. THAT's what Net Neutrality gives you: poorer service to protect you from bad things that may happen.

    And, as of right now, the current regulations allow ISPs to proliferate. I have more ways to possibly get on the internet right now than I ever did, and it's getting easier to find new ISPs, so this isn't happening. The regulations on wire sharing make this happen without Net Neutrality, so this is a benefit NN is trying to claim that already exists. Actual close regulation of utilities resulted in monopolies, or do you not remember Ma Bell? Do you not only have one electric company to buy power from in your area? THAT's regulation of utilities -- state approved monopolies with no incentive to improve your service, just meet the letter of the regulation they've monopolized. And who has leverage with the regulators, who has the money and understands the issues to lobby for regulation changes that benefit them? That's right, those state-approved, well-regulated monopolies that don't have to compete for your business. You're pitching a pipe dream to correct problems that don't exist with a solution that actually shits on you. Keep it.
    Last edited by Ovinomancer; July 14th, 2017 at 12:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

 

  • #287
    cyphersmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Province
    Portland, OR
    Oratio
    1,547
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    But this isn't happening without Net Neutrality, so no, no new government oversight (which has it's own costs that get passed to consumers and it's own rigid and slow changing rules that cannot possibly keep up with technology) based on 'but they might misbehave!'
    It's not new now, and it wasn't based on 'but they might misbehave'. It was based on 'they're starting to misbehave, we should stop that.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    And, if your ISP cannot give Netflix priority, then your steam will now vie with bunny's torrent for priority -- you'll buffer so he can dl in a timely manner his illegal pirated copy of the movie you're trying to watch and paying for. THAT's what Net Neutrality gives you: poorer service to protect you from bad things that may happen.
    You don't seem to understand the difference between preference and priority. Streaming video traffic looks different than torrents and other traffic. It can be given priority without caring where it's coming from. However, if you give preference to your own streaming traffic over other streaming traffic unless that specific company pays extra for preference, then I have a problem with that. It causes an artificial barrier to entrance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    And, as of right now, the current regulations allow ISPs to proliferate. I have more ways to possibly get on the internet right now than I ever did, and it's getting easier to find new ISPs, so this isn't happening. The regulations on wire sharing make this happen without Net Neutrality, so this is a benefit NN is trying to claim that already exists. Actual close regulation of utilities resulted in monopolies, or do you not remember Ma Bell? Do you not only have one electric company to buy power from in your area? THAT's regulation of utilities -- state approved monopolies with no incentive to improve your service, just meet the letter of the regulation they've monopolized. And who has leverage with the regulators, who has the money and understands the issues to lobby for regulation changes that benefit them? That's right, those state-approved, well-regulated monopolies that don't have to compete for your business. You're pitching a pipe dream to correct problems that don't exist with a solution that actually shits on you. Keep it.
    I remember Ma Bell. And the only reason it stayed around as long as it did are the wire sharing regulations you mentioned, those regulations are the compromise made decades ago that allowed Ma Bell to remain together. By the way, many of the Baby Bells have since disappeared and are back together. Those wire sharing regulations are the equivalent of Net Neutrality.

    That proliferation of ISPs is recent, really getting off the ground around the time that Net Neutrality was enacted. Of course, correlation isn't necessarily causation. But it is interesting.

    Aside from electronic utilities, where you can identify specifically which customers are getting your service, how do you have multiple utility vendors? Can you tell which power company is supplying your electricity? No, that's ridiculous unless each power company has its own line into your house. Same with water, sewer and gas. It's not true of phone, cable or internet. But those latter three do need wire sharing regulations.

  • #288
    I will be warm! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER guyjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    7,751
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    OnePlus phones may get you killed:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40656034
    The Chinese phonemaker promotes itself as a company that sells high-end smartphones at low prices. Its latest device, the OnePlus 5, was released in June.

    On Tuesday, Reddit user Seattle_Horn posted: "I had to dial 911 on my OnePlus 5 yesterday (saw a building on fire a few blocks away) and both times I tried my phone rebooted on me."

    Several contributors added that they had experienced the same problem before or had been able to replicate it.

    Some said they would return their phones to the company because the glitch could "cost lives".

    OnePlus said in a statement "We have been in touch with the customer and have tested a software update that has resolved the issue.

    "We will be rolling out the software update shortly."

  • #289
    I will be warm! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER guyjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    7,751
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User


    Techradar, ladies and gentlemen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  • #290
    cyphersmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Province
    Portland, OR
    Oratio
    1,547
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.


    Techradar, ladies and gentlemen.
    That's quite the misleading graph. The difference between the two is all of 1 FPS.

  • #291
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,185
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.

    Techradar, ladies and gentlemen.

    I think they pulled the same bullshit with Ryzen benchmarks.

  • #292
    EVOLVED: extra chromosome! Zappo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Patavium, Gallia Transpadana
    Oratio
    3,346
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Techradar, ladies and gentlemen.
    And that is why everyone should get taught in school how to read a graph.
    You say that I am testing the gods' patience? Oh... I'd rather call myself an experimental theologian.
    Factol Terrance

  • #293
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,585
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    And that is why everyone should get taught in school how to read a graph.
    They are.

    But most people are lazy and don't bother. Or they forget. Or they're just stupid.
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

  • #294
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    5,185
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    A short history of Intel, and why to buy AMD. Tho thankfully AMD has superior products at a lot of price points, making the decision easier.


  • #295
    Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    14,715
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Is this Cookie Consent feature on websites a thing for people with US IP adresses, too?
    By EU regulation, people have to be notified when a website is collecting data about you, which includes Cookies. Therefore, websites show a small fly in or something similar to inform the customer, and the stnadard procedure is to just confirm and go back to whatever you were going to do.

    For fun, sometimes I press the "More Information" button (if just to figure out a way to get rid of the information completely and forever)

    This time I used a website (IGN) that uses the "TRUSTe Cookie Consent Manager" (a picture below) for this feature.

    Shell_Consent_Manager.jpg


    I decided to click on "More Information" and found a dial by which I could affect what kind of information the website would use. This is a good thing, I think. Normally your only choice is to continue using the site and accepting whatever they want is collected, or not using the site at all.

    So I chose the most restrictive setting and confirmed. I got a progress counter that slowly counted to 100 %. And by slowly I mean it might have taken a minute or more.

    I was a bit surprised - just for some cookie preference settings they take that long?

    So I found ways or sites t trigger this screen again.
    1) Don't even click on "More Information" and accept whatever they set as default (the least restrictive one of course). Basically instantly confirmed.
    2) Click on "More Information" and keep the default. Progress takes a very short amount of time.

    Funny how that works...

  • #296
    I will be warm! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER guyjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    7,751
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-K...d-102089.shtml

    Klingon keyboard, anyone?

    Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

  • #297
    I will be warm! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER guyjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    7,751
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User

    https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

    Purism trying to make a linux smartphone you can control.

  • #298
    I will be warm! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER guyjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    7,751
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...ovt_computers/

    Senator Jeanne Shaheen(D-NH) wants to ban Kaspersky Kaspersky labs Antivirus because Russia.

    Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

  • #299
    Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    14,715
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    We're all going to die!

    (State-sponsored?) Hackers control our electricty networks!
    http://www.itproportal.com/news/hack...ity-with-ease/

  • #300
    Fascinating COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Mustrum_Ridcully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Province
    Oldenburg
    Oratio
    14,715
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Germany is moving up in the technology department.

    Till 2032, all electrivity meters in househelds must be replaced with "smart meters", e.g. digitali devices with "smart" functions (Whatever those are).

    One of the new devices (for households with less than 6,000 kwh consumption a year) is a true marvel of teutonic engineering.

    It comes with a LCD display and is not networked. You can easily read off the smartmeter from the device.
    For privacy concerns, the display only shows you current consumption if you enter your PIN (which is send to you seperately via snail mail, of course).
    To enter the PIN, all you need to do is take your flashlight and shine on the light sensor on the device. So, if your PIN is 2579, you shine twice, wait a bit, shine 5 times, wait a bit, shine 7 times, wait a bit, and shine 9 times on it. Very easy. If you make a mistake, the PIN entry is simply reset and you can start again. If you get anything wrong, don't worry, you can just try again.

    https://blog.energiedienst.de/zaehler_edl21/

    Only caveat of these new devices is that you pay a yearly fee of 20 €.


    Imagine how this marvel of engineering must have been devised. There was someone ordering the device with specifications, engineers that implemented it, and an oversight comittee that finally agreed that this is the right device, and then it was certified by some government agency. At no point did anyone say: "Wait, are you serious, entering a PIN with a flashlight? And you have as many tries as you need?

    I imagine it working like this.
    Elecric Company: "Hey, we need a lot of smartmeters for this new law. It must be cheap. We can demand 20 € per year from our customers, but not more. I expect a yearly exchange rate of 50 % or so, so it can't cost us more than 40 €, better less than that. Do you have somethnig for us?"
    Device Company Sales Rep: "Sure, we have this smartmeter device. We build it for 3 € and would sell it to you for 30. Sounds good?"
    EC: "Awesome. Let's see it, we have some specifications and check if it's good."
    DCSR: "Here is a sample."
    EC: "Okay, guys, this is awesome. We like it very much. Everyone is very happy with it. Except our data security officer. He's concerned that anyone can read from the device. He suggests that we demand a PIN before the display shows anything."
    DSCR: "Uh, oh... We'll talk with our tech guys. Techies, what do you say?"
    Engineer: "A PIN? We could add a small numeric keyboard. Or a touch display, if you like. Would probably cost us only a few €uros, and require a bit of remodelling of the casing to fit it all. And of course, a software update"
    DSCR: "Thats's too expensive, they never pay for that!"
    Engineer: "Uh, okay. Hmm. We have this light sensor that's used for some advanced functions for electrical engineers. Nothing for the regular end consumer usually. But we could update the software so it can accept a PIN, we have some ready from our ATMs. That's a bit cheaper, can probably be done in an afternoon."
    DSCR: "Okay, do that. Hey, EC, we got an update for you."
    EC: "Thanks, we tested it. Our usability tests showed entering the PIN is really error prone. A lot of testers have been locked out of the device."
    DSCR: "I'll speak to our engineers."
    E: "Okay. Well, we could just reset the PIN entry and remove the lockout feature. Is that okay?"
    DSCR: "Sure, why not. Hey, EC, we got another update."
    E: "Awesome! Everyone is happy! Certification is just a formality now."

  • Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •