Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Random Technology Thread

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    epic.com/

Spoiler:
    you should turn off punycode if you can, it allows phishing attacks. if your browser won't let you, copy and paste links into notepad or similar to make sure it is what it says it is until they fix it.
    The newest Chrome, 58, was released within the last 24 hours and fixes this. It now shows up as the real URL when you hover over it.
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

Workman Publishing Company
    225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

I will be warm! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER guyjin's Avatar
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by reveal View Post
    The newest Chrome, 58, was released within the last 24 hours and fixes this. It now shows up as the real URL when you hover over it.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    http://moralmachine.mit.edu/

How should a self driving car behave? (a series of trolley problems).

Personally, I find it dubious that a self driving car can tell who's a doctor and who's homeless, but there ya go.

also, for a goobergabber who certain trolls would insist is an MRA, I seemed to favor women a lot. Also I'm a lot more lawful than I would have guessed.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    also, for a goobergabber who certain trolls would insist is an MRA, I seemed to favor women a lot.
    I also favor women getting hit more often, but that's just enlightened self-interest and has nothing to do with politics.
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    My compy is so decrepitude* it can't open the link so you'll have to give me a breakdown of what this means for the industry.

* I finally solved the "Low Battery" warning... but only because the cpu completely died (the thermal paste had turned to powder at some point in the last decade) and I had to transfer my harddrives (and power supply) to an older computer (that was about five years old when I switched to the "newer" one a decade ago). Surprisingly the CMOS battery on this motherboard is still in excellent shape, even if the harddrives immediately killed the old power supply**.

** The older compy booted up fine when I tested before transfering drives. After the transfer the power supply refused to work (the new drives are each 2 terabyte SATA drives, the old one was an 80 gigabyte IDE/PATA drive). Even switching back the single old drive, the power supply refused to work. So I did some case molding to fit the new power supply in there (the plug holes didn't line up so I had to cut the grate out of the back of the case. And while I was at it I added all extra fans from the newer computer... so I had to cut out the most of the side panel and splice them into the IDE power supply line).

Bottom line my current computer is a mishmash of 15 year old parts (motherboard, CPU, case, CMOS battery, connector wires) and completely new stuff*** (memory, harddrives, power supply, peripherals). I'm just glad when I put it together all those years ago I insisted on getting as many USB ports as I did... even though I figured I'd never need more two (currently using 8 of it's 10).

*** With no space for my GPU. I am ensadded by the lack of computer games I can now play.

Granted, the only one I've even played in the last 2 months was EQ2... but still.
    Last edited by nail bunny; May 1st, 2017 at 09:22 PM.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    My compy is so decrepitude* it can't open the link so you'll have to give me a breakdown of what this means for the industry.

* I finally solved the "Low Battery" warning... but only because the cpu completely died (the thermal paste had turned to powder at some point in the last decade) and I had to transfer my harddrives (and power supply) to an older computer (that was about five years old when I switched to the "newer" one a decade ago). Surprisingly the CMOS battery on this motherboard is still in excellent shape, even if the harddrives immediately killed the old power supply**.

** The older compy booted up fine when I tested before transfering drives. After the transfer the power supply refused to work (the new drives are each 2 terabyte SATA drives, the old one was an 80 gigabyte IDE/PATA drive). Even switching back the single old drive, the power supply refused to work. So I did some case molding to fit the new power supply in there (the plug holes didn't line up so I had to cut the grate out of the back of the case. And while I was at it I added all extra fans from the newer computer... so I had to cut out the most of the side panel and splice them into the IDE power supply line).

Bottom line my current computer is a mishmash of 15 year old parts (motherboard, CPU, case, CMOS battery, connector wires) and completely new stuff*** (memory, harddrives, power supply, peripherals). I'm just glad when I put it together all those years ago I insisted on getting as many USB ports as I did... even though I figured I'd never need more two (currently using 8 of it's 10).

*** With no space for my GPU. I am ensadded by the lack of computer games I can now play.

Granted, the only one I've even played in the last 2 months was EQ2... but still.
    ouch.

as for the link, it's a bunch of corp speak. what it really means is that the linux distro you install on whatever frankenstein computer you manage to duck tape together can now include software for decoding mp3s legally. before it was a crime. like the mp3s you're going to play with it mostly still are.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    ... linux distro you install on whatever frankenstein computer you manage to duck tape together...
    I baling wired this together and frankly I'm shocked a 15 year old cpu is running 64bit Windows 7... but so far nothing bad has happened.

...can now include software for decoding mp3s legally. before it was a crime. like the mp3s you're going to play with it mostly still are.
    Cool. So no change for me, but linux can do it legally? Might be a reason to switch...

Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I baling wired this together and frankly I'm shocked a 15 year old cpu is running 64bit Windows 7... but so far nothing bad has happened.
    What was the computer's original specs (Intel or AMD, RAM, HDD capacity)?

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Devoid View Post
    What was the computer's original specs (Intel or AMD, RAM, HDD capacity)?
    The one I'm currently running?

Original:
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80Ghz
    RAM: 1024MB
    HDD*: 80GB PATA drive (it had two of these, one for the Windows install, one for everything else)

Current:
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80Ghz
    RAM: 2048MB
    HDD*: 99.9GB partition on a 2TB SATA drive (there are 2 of these drives in the computer)

* What this has to do with anything I have no idea.

The last computer? I have no idea what the CPU was, I think it was 4Ghz, the RAM was clocking in at about 3.85GB (the mother board throttled it at that), and it had the HDDs I'm currently using.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    If you have an HP laptop, update it ASAP. http://www.zdnet.com/article/keylogg...al-hp-laptops/
    An audio driver installed in several HP laptops contains a keylogger-type feature that records every keystroke entered into the computer into a log file, according to a security researcher.

Swiss security firm Modzero said in a security advisory posted Thursday that the keylogger activity was discovered in the Conexant HD audio driver package (version 1.0.0.46 and earlier), found on dozens of HP business and enterprise laptop models, including HP Elitebook, ProBook, and ZBook models -- including the latest Folio G1 laptop.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    https://www.opticaldiskdriveantitrust.com/

If you purchased a new computer with an internal ODD, a stand-alone ODD designed for internal use in a computer, or an ODD designed to be attached externally to a computer while a resident of Arizona, California, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, or Wisconsin during the period of April 2003 to December 2008 for your own use and not for resale, you may be eligible for benefits from settlements reached in antitrust litigation currently pending in federal court. ODD refers to a DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, or COMBO drive manufactured by one or more Defendants or their alleged conspirators.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    My interior car door handle isn't working. I'm going have to take it into the shop today. Of all the odd things to break, it had to be that.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/869487089523478528

Nintendo Switch is creating competition with apple for parts.

Hey PWD, buy a couple. dozen.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN18W1RY

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday agreed to hear a major case on privacy rights in the digital age that will determine whether police officers need warrants to access past cellphone location information kept by wireless carriers.

The justices agreed to hear an appeal brought by a man who was arrested in 2011 as part of an investigation into a string of armed robberies at Radio Shack and T-Mobile stores in the Detroit area over the preceding months. Police helped establish that the man, Timothy Carpenter, was near the scene of the crimes by securing cell site location information from his cellphone carrier.

• Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast