Thread: #GamerGate

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by francisca View Post
    Look man, the author sources jezebel at the end of the article. This is a site that monetizes itself by telling women how poorly society treats them, coupled with enough "uplifting" messages to keep from looking too negative. Jezebel, and many other pop/nerd culture/SJW sites need snarky comments and catchy headlines to keep those clicks and shares via social media coming. Sometimes, they reach too far in trying to find something to foment the outrage and indignation. This is one of those cases. Likewise, jezebel sources AdRant....you can see the network effect of outrage in action.

But back to Mary Sue, the author there even cops to the idea that she's reaching too far at the end of the post...

So...yeah, not much there to be angry about...so disclaim away, then follow with hyperbole, and more snark.

I don't know about you, Tony, but if bloggers like them think I'm a bad person for chuckling at obvious satire, I really don't give a fuck if they think I'm a bad person. They are lacking perspective, and motivated by money via monetizing ad imprints, at least in part (unless they volunteer...then they are simply rage-hobbyists who have been called up to the farm league, and are now semi-pro shit-stirrers.) There is a lot of real shitty treatment and objectification of women in this world. But stuff like this does nothing to combat it. It's not even "raising awareness", it's causing people to be hypersensitive by fomenting indignation, and letting people feel like they are "doing something" about the issue by sharing and upvoting it.

It's crap.
    emphasis mine...

How many of your posts am I going to have to
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Grumpy Old Man
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by reveal View Post
    I don't care how it effects me personally either. What I'm concerned with is this being more prevalent and easily accessible by younger people who are more than willing to click share without reading. I'm just looking at this from a cultural perspective. I already know about how I react because I'm old enough to be comfortable in my own skin and have learned from past experiences;
    I'm concerned about it as well, but that horse has long left the barn.

But you and I got a trump card. We're raising kids. The best we can do is raise our kids to be secure in themselves, and respectful/considerate of other people, but not beyond the point that they become punching bags for assholes, and apologists for all that's wrong in the world.

That does more to help society than upvoting a rant ever will.

I'm now wondering how others will react and how this will affect societal attitudes towards advertisements, entertainment, etc.
    Well, you can see that in action, with this particular commercial. What is pretty clearly satire to many, is yet another example of how mass media, and thereby the consumers of the same, try to guilt women into an unattainable model of beauty, etc... And yes, that shit does happen. But to me, degree matters, and this commercial is a pretty low on the scale, IMO.
    Last edited by francisca; October 3rd, 2014 at 01:42 PM.

Grumpy Old Man
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    emphasis mine...

How many of your posts am I going to have to
    Quit humping my leg.

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quit humping my leg.
    Homophobe.
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Grumpy Old Man
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Homophobe.
    That's not true. I accept you for who and what you are. I'm just tired of the jizz stains on my new pants.

Tell your wife and my kids I said Hello.

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    That's not true. I accept you for who and what you are. I'm just tired of the jizz stains on my new pants.

Tell your wife and my kids I said Hello.
    my son is not tall enough to be of yours...

diaglo, on the other hand....
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Grumpy Old Man
    Oratio

Ignore User
    my son is not tall enough to be of yours...
    I'm not explaining the punchline.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm not explaining the punchline.
    SIGPUP
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kiznit View Post
    What's this now?

Happy to clarify about any controversies I'm involved in.
    I recall you kicking some ass in a good way about something shitty that was going on (perhaps on FB or G+?). SarahDarkmagic was targeted or something like that?

And if all it took was posting your name to summon you, I will be doing it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    And if all it took was posting your name to summon you, I will be doing it more often.

Now I'm wondering what would happen if kiznit's name was invoked while skydiving. Would he appear with or without a parachute?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Fine, I'll say it because it's obvious -- VK is 100% right

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid View Post
    Now I'm wondering what would happen if kiznit's name was invoked while skydiving. Would he appear with or without a parachute?
    kiz is a hipster.
    he would appear attired in this
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by reveal View Post
    I saw this commercial yesterday and my wife and I both thought it was funny. But according to The Mary Sue, which I like sometimes but things like this make me roll my eyes hard, it's got a hidden agenda. It's like you can't win and if you laugh at things like this you're a bad person.
    There have been a few times I've gone on TMS and rolled my eyes hard at the offense taken at certain things I've found humorous, like this. I get what they are doing: blanket push back against anything with even a whiff of a negative or anti-female angle. Such behavior can be good as it calls attention to institutional and cultural misogyny, learned reactions to how women are portrayed in mass media, marketed to, and so on. Problem is the (sometimes knee-jerk) reaction can cause confusion of overall message, as you've outlined. Some folks just need to know when it's okay to have a laugh at themselves and move on to actual problems.

I think I get why these things are framed like they are. Doesn't make it any less frustrating when something is obviously made for comedic value and is taken way too seriously.

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    And there are two sides to *parts* of this.
    Please explain. Humor me. Because I care. If there is something similarly insidious going on with the "side" that doesn't hate people I wanna know about it.

significant web sites that cover the computer/console gaming industry
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid View Post
    Since it's you doing to the pondering ... without.

Also, his skin would be inverted. Probably.

I try not to play the "what's in VK's head?" game too often.

• Page 13 of 433 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313263113 ... LastLast