Thread: Dehydrated Foods

Province
    Gem City
    Oratio

Ignore User

Dehydrated Foods

Does anyone use a food dehydrator? We received one as a wedding present and I don't think I've ever turned it on.
    Permanently exempt from the VK murder list.

I really want to get one, actually.

We call ours "the counter"
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

I absolutely LOVE mine, and use it so much that I'm a dehydratin' fool, especially in the fall. The mate's mom gave it to us for a Yule present our first year together. It's an Excalibur, which is one of the best kind out there. I dry fruit, make deer jerky, etc. in it, and I have heard you can use them to do yogurt as well because of the temperature control. Ours has the slide-in screens that can actually come apart to wash, and that makes it really easy.

Did I mention I love my dehydrator?

Does yours have a fan, Whirli? The ones that just have the heat source tend to take forever to dry stuff and make a mess. Let me know if you want ideas/tips for making stuff.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    Gem City
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yes, I've got a Nesco and it does have a fan. I've even got additional trays. The original plan was to use it for crafting project of drying molded items. LOL

I want to try dehydrating fruit for snacks.
    Permanently exempt from the VK murder list.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirligig View Post
    Yes, I've got a Nesco and it does have a fan. I've even got additional trays. The original plan was to use it for crafting project of drying molded items. LOL

I want to try dehydrating fruit for snacks.
    Excellent! And home-made dehydrated fruit turns out really well, I think. Keep in mind that the flavor gets concentrated, so if something is fairly tart when fresh (like some of the plums I got this year) they will have that taste amplified a bit when they're dry. I do small stuff like apricots, plums, etc. just cut in half with the cut side up (so it doesn't stick to the screen). The bigger stuff like pears, peaches, mangoes, etc. get cut into slices between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick and spread out on the screens. I'm not familiar with the Nesco dehydrators, but there should be a temp range you can control; be sure not to set the heat too high for fruit because a higher temperature doesn't speed the drying so much as it can kinda 'cook' the fruit. I think my fruit-drying setting is around 135-140 degrees F.

When fruit is 'done', it will be semi-stiff, but still able to bend and should never have any smooshy/gooshy/soft spots. If it's dried to where it snaps in half, well...then you've got fruit chips, I suppose. But that's kinda over-done.

You can also do homemade fruit leather; I've not yet made that, but have had some from folks who have made it, and it's really good.

Have fun with your dehydrator and share what you're making. Feel free to ask questions, too.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum