Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [KINGDOM] Intro and Pre-game discussion

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Did we have anyone else wanting to play? I popped a PM off to Ovi in case he's just missed this thread over the weekend.

Otherwise, I'll take Captain and POWER.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yeah, I'm interested in playing, but I'm on travel the next two weeks and will be spotty in my appearances. If that's okay, I'm in.

Add to locations:

Security: weapons locker, brig. Brightly lit, spartan area
    Mechanical Spaces: dim, loud, and private

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Should be fine Ovi, just need to pick a role and a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Should be fine Ovi, just need to pick a role and a character.
    Are there other roles?

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Touchstone: Chief Medical Officer

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Are there other roles?
    Only the three roles, but they can be doubled up on. Character wise, you can invent any position you feel like.

Since Ovi fannies playing the Medical Officer, I'll move to Chief Science Officer, with PERSPECTIVE

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quick Summary

Starship Somnus
    Spoiler:
    It's a one way mission to a planet without a name just a designation KOI-3284.01, the most Earth like exoplanet ever discovered, or at least back when this project began. The idea was to take a sleeper ship to colonize a new world, in order to do that your route was pre-seeded with hydrogen clouds sent out decades before in order to fuel the Bussard ramjet that would accelerate you up to a drifting speed of about two thirds the speed of light. Still with KOI-KOI as you've taken to calling it nearly 500 light years away, it was going to take nearly a millennium to get there.

Any family or friends that aren't sleeping, like you, in the cryotubes are long since dead. Back on Earth governments and even whole civilizations may have risen and fallen, you wouldn't know the last contact you made was decades ago and the news was over a century old then. As the Somnus approaches the halfway point of your journey vital crew are awakened by the ships AI, from cyro-sleep to make preparations.

Customize (pick one answer for each Italics represents my preference)

- Somnus was built with technology not much more advanced than current technology, no replicators, holodecks or artificial gravity and a module allowing it to terraform the planet when it arrives.
    - Somnus is now covered in a fine layer of dust, some things aren't holding up to centuries of space-flight as well as expected.
    - Somnus is carrying several hundred people in cold storage with a smaller contingent woken in shifts to carry out essential tasks on the ship.

Threats
    - The ship have suffered an impact, vital systems are damaged.
    - The sensor have detected an interesting anomaly, but it is off the pre-seeded route, should the crew investigate.
    - The last scheduled data package from Earth has not arrived, what has happened while they have been gone.

Player Characters
    - Hypersmurf - The AI - Perspective
    - nail bunny - Captain - Power
    - Ovinomancer - Chief Medical Officer - Touchstone
    - Bagpuss - Chief Science Officer - Perspective

Other Characters
    - Chief Engineer
    - Social Science Researcher
    - Astrogation/Pilot
    - and other characters we decide on during play

One thing is I listed Threats there, but that really should be decided between the group, so if anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to throw them in and we can swap them with ones we don't like.

Next steps in character creation is

Who are you? Come up with a name, we have already established what we do but feel free to detail that beyond just a job title. Are you old or young, male/female, what's happened to you family? etc.

Locations pick two locations you are likely to be found in, these can be ones already mentioned or new ones, try to have at least on location unique to you. This tells the other players that these are good locations to have a scene with your character.

Wish or Fear State either a wish or a fear your character has about the future of the Kingdom. A wish is something you hope the Kingdom with do or become, and fear is something you dread will happen or it will become. Picking a wish or a fear represents if your character is generally hopeful or fearful for the Kingdoms future.

Next steps in character creation is
    Who are you?
    The AI responds to 'Merlin'. It possesses personality and conversational overlays, under the theory that people interact more easily with an AI when they can anthropomorphise it to a degree, though these overlays can be deactivated manually (by the Captain or authorised personnel) or automatically (in the event of a serious drain on Merlin's memory or computational capacity).

Merlin's voice was modelled on old recordings of 20th century actor William Daniels by a programmer with a taste for vintage entertainment and a weird sense of humour.

Locations
    While Merlin can be accessed via terminals or intercoms in most (though not all) parts of the Somnus by authorised personnel, there are key functions that can only be executed at the dedicated interface terminals located in the AI Control Core or on the Bridge.

Wish or Fear
    Merlin does not have desires in the human sense, but it has duties and responsibilities that it is compelled to undertake until the end of the mission - that is, until the colonists either reach KOI-KOI, or they're all dead. It could perhaps be interpreted, then, that Merlin's Wish is to fulfil its purpose by seeing one of those two conditions achieved.

-Hyp.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    One thing is I listed Threats ...
    No they sound good. There are certainly other tropes we could use, but those are good .

Who are you?
    Captain Αρκτοῦρος Βοώτης (Arktouros Bo÷tes), though he insists on Capt. Arthur (because so few pronounce his name properly), is one of the "Midnight Crew", the Second Bridge Crew. Most of the First (Bridge) Crew, the Evening Crew, having passed their prime from repeated awakenings and are now in long term sleep. Arthur was born on Somnus and "inherited" his captaincy from his Mother, as his child (when he has one) might do from him. His is a large young man (sometimes too large for the ship equipment and stations) with a loud booming voice. He tries to carry himself softly, reservedly, but his exuberance and forceful nature spill out regardless.

Though he was raised to be the Captain (and all that such entails) he has come to rely perhaps too overmuch on Merlin's perspective and does not suspect his duality.

He has only ever known life aboard Somnus.

Locations
    As the Captain, Arthur is most often found on the Bridge. Even though while Awake the Crew are technically "always on duty", when the junior officer takes the Bridge, Arthur enjoys puttering around in Hydroponics. It is one of the few areas with enough room for him 'stretch' (the other large area, Recreations, is too "open" for his taste).

Wish or Fear
    Arthur both secretly desires and Fears that some "event" will occur On His Watch, something that he will overcome through his Awesome Captaining Skills that will assure Him a place in the History Books (Mother was the First Captain, She was there for Launch, the next Captain will be there for Mission's End, etc). Otherwise he is perfectly content dealing with the mundanities of operating Somnus and keeping her ship shape (he doesn't understand how much wear has occurred, the gradual accrual has always been there to him). He Worries that somehow the mission may "come to an end" on his watch and he'll have to deal with nightmare of running the Morning Crew, terraforming, and disembarkle.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    )... though he insists on Capt. Arthur.
    I nearly raised it as a 'Wouldn't it be amusing if...?' thought, and left it unsaid.

Brilliant

The 'three crews' idea is interesting. Does it mean each person on the Evening Crew had the responsibility to nominate a successor, either from the limited pool of unwoken sleepers (most of whom are already tasked with post-landing responsibilities for the new colony, meaning any picked for the Midnight Crew will be mostly lost to their designated colony task), or, by preference, from the first shipborn generation?

Makes me wonder if most of the Evening Crew were selected on Earth as young couples or, especially, pregnant women...

-Hyp.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmurf View Post
    I nearly raised it as a 'Wouldn't it be amusing if...?' thought, and left it unsaid.

Brilliant

I read your play and decided to go with it. Of course things can veer off horribly from here...

The 'three crews' idea is interesting. Does it mean each person on the Evening Crew had the responsibility to nominate a successor, either from the limited pool of unwoken sleepers (most of whom are already tasked with post-landing responsibilities for the new colony, meaning any picked for the Midnight Crew will be mostly lost to their designated colony task), or, by preference, from the first shipborn generation?

Makes me wonder if most of the Evening Crew were selected on Earth as young couples or, especially, pregnant women...

-Hyp.
    I was aiming for a mish-mash between a Generational Ship and standard Long-Sleep setup. There probably are crew in Long Sleep that were pre-selected for various jobs, but with the knowledge other's might be born along the way that would perhaps be "better fits"...

In Arthur's case his Mother (and a majority vote of the Evening Crew and Merlin) chose to have him "inherit" the position, he was trained from birth on the ship at his Mother's side to do this job. When it comes time for his Long Sleep, the next Captain will be chosen, either from the current Crew's Children, or from the pre-selected Sleepers.

And yeah, I was kinda seeing the Sleepers as "back up" to the Midnight Crew and the Evening crew, mostly there to be awoken in case they were needed and for the End of the Mission (terraforming/colonizing). Also, the previous crew is not dead or infirm, just "past their prime"... but likely still hale enough to be awoken and take over if need be.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I wasn't thinking of a Generational Ship before, but we can certainly make that work, there would need to be a spin-habitat, but I guess they put the majority of the colonists (who could well have roles not suited to space, like being farmers, etc.) in cold storage, that wouldn't need to be in the spin-habitat to save on the cost of the ship.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I wasn't thinking of a Generational Ship before, but we can certainly make that work, there would need to be a spin-habitat, but I guess they put the majority of the colonists (who could well have roles not suited to space, like being farmers, etc.) in cold storage, that wouldn't need to be in the spin-habitat to save on the cost of the ship.
    Yeah a Long Sleep ship for the Colonists and Terraformers, with a Generational/Long Sleep hab for the 3 (or more if things go wrong*) Crews.

* In such a case Sleep space would become a premium. If we were to exceed Mission Parameters by too much... some people wouldn't get to go back to Sleep when their duty rotation was over...

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Who are you?
    Dr. Kelly LeFay, Evening Crew Doctor

Kelly is still from the first crew, a septegenarian of surprising vigor. He was good friends with the Evening Captain (Arthur's Mom), and misses her greatly. He sees Arthur still as the little boy, and has trouble accepting him as the Captain of the ship, despite Arthur's growing into the position. Often cantankerous, Kelly deeply cares for the colonists under his watch, and is fiercely protective of them. He has a large library of old sci-fi novels, and always has a book at hand. Perhaps it is because of this reading that he harbors distrust of Merlin.

Locations
    Kelly is often found either in the Medical Bay, running tests, in Cold Sleep, quietly walking past much younger former friends and having a quiet reminensance with them (one sided, of course), or in Recreation, reading and looking out at the stars.

Wish or Fear
    Kelly is secretly concerned that Merlin might go rogue. Maybe it's all the stories, or maybe is how Merlin has responded to a few of the queries as Kelly explored possible emergencies and developed contingencies, or maybe it's because he just hates that that damned machine will outlive him, but he doesn't quite trust that Merlin has everyone's best interests at heart.

Is that okay? Having a fear based on another player? To be honest, I picked that before I read Hyp's post, which made it dovetail nicely, but I'm not sure if I should pick something external to the players.

Traveling tomorrow, probably won't be back on until Wednesday.

It makes for a significantly larger ship, with a lot more in the way of facilities for waking crew required - instead of half a dozen crew awake for the odd month here and there, you have children being raised and trained for years at a time with all the additional support staff that entails. Instead of six warm bodies, you might be looking at forty or fifty awake?

-Hyp.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast