Thread: managerial bullshit and ass kissing

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User

managerial bullshit and ass kissing

Quote Originally Posted by liar
    Dear Colleagues,

The recent laboratory incidents have provided us an opportunity to take a closer look at our safety practices. Each of us has a responsibility to conduct our work safely and report any safety-related concerns. Those of us working in labs have a particular responsibility to minimize risk of harm to ourselves and others.

Dr. Frieden is committed to establishing a culture of safe lab practices. As part of this initiative, I am leading the Laboratory Safety Improvement Work Group. This work group will:

· Accelerate improvements in laboratory safety
    · Review and approve, on a laboratory-by-laboratory basis, the resumed transfer of biological materials outside BSL-3 and BSL-4 laboratories
    · Oversee an agency-wide inventory of all biological materials
    · Engage CDC laboratory staff and other interested staff to collect input as we all work to create a stronger culture of safety in our laboratories
    · Review career paths to determine how best to strengthen our culture of safety at CDC
    · Serve as the transition group for the single point of accountability on laboratory safety called for in the review of the potential exposure to the anthrax incident

We will send periodic updates through the CDC Lab distribution list, which CDC lab scientists are already enrolled in. If you’re not a lab scientist and would like to enroll, please send an e-mail with the subject “subscribe.”

Most importantly, please e-mail if you have comments or concerns about lab safety at CDC.

We are all working to make our nation a safer and healthier place. Let’s be steadfast in our commitment to a safer CDC. Work group members and I look forward to hearing your suggestions in the weeks and months ahead.

Michael Bell, MD
    Interim Director of Laboratory Safety, CDC
    no fucking lab list exists for all. he must be talking about a list only "senior" management gets to see.
    he also is not a laboratorian. he never worked in a lab. ever.
    this is the bullshit i have been dealing with for 3 weeks.
    edit: and while he dicks around with this bullshit labs are closed.
    Last edited by diaglo; August 1st, 2014 at 11:59 AM.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    as a lab person. when i hear culture i think of things coming to me in a cup. spit, piss, and shit. which needs to be cultured.
    culture of safety is meme that can die with this dickhead.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Don't hold back like that! Let it all out!
    "1 out of 3 Trump supporters is as stupid as the other 2"

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The pregnant question is, is he as bad as MerricB, or worse?

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Today my manager/former direct supervisor told my supervisor that his department were "clock-watchers" and not committed to working enough hours. Sure, we leave at the same time every day, but we come in early every day. I work 43 hours per week if there are no crises. I get to work every day between six and six-thirty.

For 5+ years this woman worked three six hour days and "worked" two days from home that combined for perhaps 24 hours per week. But after getting called on the carpet for that (and promoted), she is now qualified to heap scorn on the rest of us.

She now works 9-5 and takes a full lunch every day, equaling a nice round 40 hours. Yet somehow my 43 hours (and my supervisor's 43 hours) equal fewer working hours than she puts in.

tl;dr - my supervisor saved me from getting fired by marching into my manager's office and explaining simple math to her.
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarion'sCousin View Post
    tl;dr - my supervisor saved me from getting fired by marching into my manager's office and explaining simple math to her.
    I think there are three very easy to learn lessons from all of this:

1. Work less hours in order to get promoted.

2. When the opportunity presents itself, spread your legs for the boss.

3. tl;dr doesn't work like you seem to think it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Until you've dealt with a Competency Aligned Organization, you're in the little leagues of managerial wordcrafting bullshit.

The bit about a non-lab doctor determining lab safety protocols is pretty fucking bad. And if I saw 'review career paths' on anything, I'd make sure my resume is in order. Those are code for 'we'll reassign you to shit work if we don't like you'.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    no fucking lab list exists for all. he must be talking about a list only "senior" management gets to see.
    he also is not a laboratorian. he never worked in a lab. ever.
    this is the bullshit i have been dealing with for 3 weeks.
    edit: and while he dicks around with this bullshit labs are closed.
    So no more "dick out casual fridays" for diaglo I take it?
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Until you've dealt with a Competency Aligned Organization, you're in the little leagues of managerial wordcrafting bullshit.

The bit about a non-lab doctor determining lab safety protocols is pretty fucking bad. And if I saw 'review career paths' on anything, I'd make sure my resume is in order. Those are code for 'we'll reassign you to shit work if we don't like you'.
    Yeah, when I saw "review career paths", my Danger Sense tingled!
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Quote Originally Posted by Tarion'sCousin View Post
    Today my manager/former direct supervisor told my supervisor that his department were "clock-watchers" and not committed to working enough hours. Sure, we leave at the same time every day, but we come in early every day. I work 43 hours per week if there are no crises. I get to work every day between six and six-thirty.

For 5+ years this woman worked three six hour days and "worked" two days from home that combined for perhaps 24 hours per week. But after getting called on the carpet for that (and promoted), she is now qualified to heap scorn on the rest of us.

She now works 9-5 and takes a full lunch every day, equaling a nice round 40 hours. Yet somehow my 43 hours (and my supervisor's 43 hours) equal fewer working hours than she puts in.

I've dealt with this sort of attitude before, and even now I sometimes get wind of grumblings from co-workers, but thankfully my manager understands basic math and how to tell time. People who come in at 9:00 a.m. and then look sideways at people "leaving early" at 4:30 p.m., not taking into account that person came in before 7:00 a.m. I can't figure out why they think the last couple hours of the day are somehow more valuable then athe first. I get far more done early in the morning, before the phone starts ringing.

Grumpy Old Man
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm in the same boat as Joe is. Thankfully, my direct supervisor knows the score, and is happy with my performance, so his boss is happy with my performance.

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm now in the bottom layer of management (who gets the weekly timesheet numbers for my people), and I know the score, as do my boss and his boss who I have worked with on and off over the last 17 years. I tend to take most notice if someone is recording high numbers over an extended period - and how that is affecting their work/life balance.
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Province
    Michigan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm absolutely thrilled to now be subjected to this sort of petty, bureaucratic, managerial bullshit!

Sadly, my boss is cool and lets me go home early if I ask nicely.
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. - Douglas Adams

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    When I worked for the Internet company, I remember when we got big enough that we had to hire a marketing director.

Up until then, we were run as a very lean business, and everyone worked their asses off. We worked late, because it was fun, and it needed to be done. Even us guys in legal were working late nights fixing whatever sales had stupidly agreed to that week.

Then we got this person who had been in marketing for Xerox, who was also bringing over her toady from there. Our first meeting with her, and every one of us in the room knew we were dealing with a professional bullshitter. It seemed like not one single normal everyday English word was in her sentences. Everything she said sounded like it was taken from some book making fun of corporate speak - only she was not in on the joke and thought it was real.

This person had worked management almost her entire career, and I suspect she had't worked very hard for at least 20 years...probably not since she had graduated from the college that sounded good enough to be a check-mark on some big company's list. She was used to getting by bullshiting people - and those people thought the bullshit she was spewing must be real and serious, because otherwise she wouldn't be a manager, and so the phrases she was using must be important and they were just too dumb to understand them.

But, since none of us had the authority to fire her, and our CEO wanted a figurehead in marketing so we "looked" like a bigger company (and she had the degree from the right university, and the corporate experience from the right kind of big company), we just let her be. We'd all nod our heads and say "uh huh" and occasionally try and take the piss out of her by making up our own bullshit phrases and keeping a straight face - which she never got. In fact I think she even ended up using one of our made-up phrases again in a future meeting.

The opportunity to fire her toady did arise though. A magazine called wanting an interview with us, and his boss was not in, and the guy panicked. Turned out, he really didn't know what we did at the company. He had been nodding his head for almost a year at that point, and never really got a clue as to how the company worked and what we were doing and where we were headed with technology or the marketplace.

So he found my co-counsel and I, and begged us to take the interview with him. I agreed, and he introduced me on the call and then he didn't say one more word until the end of the call when I finished, and he said goodbye. All he had to do was talk about our normal everyday business stuff - stuff discussed in every meeting he'd been to, and he hadn't managed to absorb anything about what company he was working at yet in all that fucking time. I did fine - but realistically almost anyone at the company who had been there for 6 months would have done OK.

We could have fired him then, but it was all just so pathetic. This poor guy had gotten by kissing the ass of this horrible mindless drone of a woman straight from a Dilbert cartoon. It was punishment enough.

Still though, he made more than some of our techs, and every single tech working at that company was working 10 times as hard as he was...except for the ass kissing, which must have taken some effort.

We should have promoted him to sales instead.

His boss, the horrible woman from Xerox, is still out there bullshitting people. I see she is writing for HuffingtonPost right now. I read her most recent article - still the same bullshit, still the least amount of effort necessary to squeak out some junk that just barely passes the goal of acceptable enough. She's set herself up as a Social Media Expert. Oh brother...
    Last edited by Mistwell; August 4th, 2014 at 02:27 AM.
    I like hats.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast