Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGELESS George and James

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User

AGELESS George and James

George meet James in the lobby of the hotel. "Thanks for coming James, you had lunch?" James replied he had. "Good how about a cigar and some brandy?" says George as he heads into the lounge next to the bar." James and George take a seat and order cigars and snifters.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit under.

Play By Post Games

Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    James tells George "I am extremely please with how well you and Mina's team comported yourselves on this quest. The results are far better than I could have imagined."

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    James tells George "I am extremely please with how well you and Mina's team comported yourselves on this quest. The results are far better than I could have imagined."
    "Well thank you James. I don't think we had any idea the scope would be so large, or that the French wizards were so ambitious. And we still need to find the Atlantean artifact that they were supposedly after."
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit under.

Play By Post Games

Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    "Well thank you James. I don't think we had any idea the scope would be so large, or that the French wizards were so ambitious. And we still need to find the Atlantean artifact that they were supposedly after."
    James replies, "Indeed. I knew that the French were fielding a team to the area, but I expected it to be a half-dozen, not eight teams of a half-dozen. I believe that the Atlantean connection they were seeking was the doorway itself, which we did find. Clearly they were close, as the gateway was at one of the four sites that they were searching."

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    James replies, "Indeed. I knew that the French were fielding a team to the area, but I expected it to be a half-dozen, not eight teams of a half-dozen. I believe that the Atlantean connection they were seeking was the doorway itself, which we did find. Clearly they were close, as the gateway was at one of the four sites that they were searching."
    George laughs, "Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I sealed the doorway back. They couldn't have found it if they wanted to. Well some of them might have."

Play By Post Games

Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    George laughs, "Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I sealed the doorway back. They couldn't have found it if they wanted to. Well some of them might have."
    James replies, "Their mistake was having Champollion running this dig, as it was where he explored a half-century earlier. He hadn't found it then, so was unlikely to find it now. A fresh set of eyes at this site probably could have uncovered it. Thankfully the only other real archaeologists on their team were busy running the teams in Tanis and Nubia."

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    James replies, "Their mistake was having Champollion running this dig, as it was where he explored a half-century earlier. He hadn't found it then, so was unlikely to find it now. A fresh set of eyes at this site probably could have uncovered it. Thankfully the only other real archaeologists on their team were busy running the teams in Tanis and Nubia."
    "Well, ego does blind one at times. I do need to take that barrier down so we can re-use the portal." says George taking a long sip of his brandy.

"Well to business I suppose. The is a specific purpose to my asking you here today James. While it is important to discuss the future of AGELESS, and the resolution of the remaining French. But there is a much more urgent and personal reason to speak to you. As you know, you will soon be my grandfather-in-law." George pauses to smile at James "We will be family essentially. So please keep that in mind as I broach this subject. I am approaching this subject out of concern for my fiancee and her well being. Fair enough preamble?"

Play By Post Games

Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    "....So please keep that in mind as I broach this subject. I am approaching this subject out of concern for my fiancee and her well being. Fair enough preamble?"
    James says, "Indeed, and I think I know where you are going. I recognize that this current trip put her in far more danger than you had anticipated. The Egyptian King threatening to have her executed was clearly not what you two had signed up for."

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    James says, "Indeed, and I think I know where you are going. I recognize that this current trip put her in far more danger than you had anticipated. The Egyptian King threatening to have her executed was clearly not what you two had signed up for."
    George chuckled "Well, yes that was a bit of a quandary. Though that was due to her grandmother in truth. And while that was not optimal, Ruby is more than capable of taking care of herself in such circumstances. Rather this is something out of her control. Rather this is something within your control, but which affects her greatly.

You have a vendetta out for a man, a man who killed your best friend, yes? Manual Gonzalez. The same man who is Ruby's mentor, friend and protector. A man who is being driven away by your lust for vengeance. A man who out of honor and respect is avoiding a woman he counts a friend. Because you are related to Ruby so you show up and he won't.

Listen James. I understand the desire for justice. But the death occurred during war. People die in war. You don;t get to hunt them down for those actions. Hell, by that metric, after the civil war, we would have had another million men die after the war. Every side feels they are in the right for any war. I don't care about the Alamo. We could debate Imperialism versus territorial rights all night. I don't care. That is now history, literally and figuratively. What matters is that your inability to let this go, to move on, to deal with this in a rational manner is impacting Ruby. And I will not tolerate it. You must make peace with this. You have to settle this as a gentleman with Gonzales. Peacefully. You have no right to continue to seek vengeance. You have no right to his blood, you have no right to harass him.

And it will stop, and stop now. This is distressing Ruby, and it will stop." says George very seriously, before taking a long drink of bourbon.

Play By Post Games

Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    ......And it will stop, and stop now. This is distressing Ruby, and it will stop." says George very seriously, before taking a long drink of bourbon.
    James appears taken aback by George's comments. James does take the drink sitting before him before replying. "Mr. Eastman, I know far more about war than you. I served on board the U.S.S. Constitution during the War of 1812 as well as serving my country during the American Civil War. As for Mr. Gonzales, the man he killed, Andrew Dawson, was more than just my best friend. What you and Ruby are unaware of is that he was also Ruby's Grandfather, not the man who Mina married after she discovered she was with child. If Ruby knew that fact it would surely change how she feels about the man.

And as for Gonzales being driven away by me, that clearly is not the case. From what Mina has told me he was very much interacting with Ruby and Mina here in Egypt, in direct violation of the promise he made to me just two months ago. Despite the vow I made in my friend's memory, because of what he had done in June to save them from the vampire, we indeed came to a gentleman's agreement, the very thing you now suggest.

I said that I would not hunt him down provided that he stayed away from Ruby and Mina. I have kept my word, he has not. Clearly, one of us has honored the gentleman's agreement, the other has proven himself to be a lair as well as a murder. I therefore think you are speaking to the wrong individual about this matter."
    Last edited by SilverMoon; July 31st, 2014 at 12:08 AM.

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I said that I would not hunt him down provided that he stayed away from Ruby and Mina. I have kept my word, he has not. Clearly, one of us has honored the gentleman's agreement, the other has proven himself to be a lair as well as a murder. I therefore think you are speaking to the wrong individual about this matter."
    George smiled grimly. "Oh I am well aware of the lineage of Ruby. I do know her true heritage and more so, so does she. Ruby has told me those stories. Had Gonzales not arrived under duress, the entire AGELESS corporation would have been exterminated. He only came here to say goodbye and say he could not see Ruby again.

I am speaking to the correct man. I don't give a rat's tail as to your supposed agreement. He is only staying away because of your threats. Period. You are the culpable and causal agent here.

And yes, you have served our country quite admirably in several conflicts. Perhaps, too many as your humanity seems to be in jeopardy. Andrew and you knew the risks of heading down to Texas. You chose to enter into an unlawful rebellion against a sovereign state. Those are the risks of war. If you kill Gonzales, who is to say some other Mexican hero won't come hunt you down. I had enough of that vigilante justice in Arizona. There is a limit to this, or should the Greeks attack the Ottomans because of Persian attacks at Thermopylae?"

George pauses, takes another drink.

"Look, whether you agree with my reasoning or not, let me make this very personal for you. Utterly and implacably personal. Have you seen, have you been witnessed the trauma, the anguish, that your granddaughter has over this rift. She is totally devastated. Gonzales has said goodbye, he intends to keep to the agreement. But it is ruining your granddaughter's psyche. She is torn between a mentor she loves and is indebted to for saving her time and again. And a man who has been her grandfather, blood or no. She considers both of you family. This feud is causing her so much grief. She was sobbing in tears when Gonzales said goodbye. Look, in all honesty, I don't care who you carry a grudge for, who you kill, lawfully or not. But when those actions, or threat of actions affect Ruby, especially to such a degree, then it is my business and I will do whatever it takes to ensure her happiness. And this feud is most definitely affecting her happiness."

George pauses again. "Let me ask you this. Why do you feel the need to keep hunting this man, 50 years after the fact, and after the war is over?"

Play By Post Games

Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    George pauses again. "Let me ask you this. Why do you feel the need to keep hunting this man, 50 years after the fact, and after the war is over?"
    As the waiter refills the drinks James nods and says, "George, whether you realize it or not, we are both making the same argument here. You are protecting your fiance, I am protecting my wife. Gonzales may have indeed shared this history with you and Ruby, but Mina remains unaware. I intend to keep it that way. Her loss of Andrew Dawson has caused her a half-century of pain, and this new knowledge would just reopen the wound. My wanting to keep him away from the women is to save Mina from further grief.

The Gentleman's agreement that he and I came to indeed represented my putting aside the vendetta. However, I now fear that I cannot trust him to keep his side of the agreement, as he as blatantly violated it."
    Last edited by SilverMoon; July 31st, 2014 at 03:50 PM.

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    "He came to say goodbye. Forever. And to Ruby only. I hardly see that as a egregious breech. So you want to put your wife ahead of your granddaughter? You can chose between family members, I don't understand that. Gonzales will allow Ruby to flourish in her chosen field. He has protected her, trained her. Perhaps he sees that as a a duty from his past, have you considered that?" asks George.

Play By Post Games

Province
    New Hampshire
    Oratio

Ignore User
    "He came to say goodbye. Forever. And to Ruby only. I hardly see that as a egregious breech. So you want to put your wife ahead of your granddaughter? You can chose between family members, I don't understand that. Gonzales will allow Ruby to flourish in her chosen field. He has protected her, trained her. Perhaps he sees that as a a duty from his past, have you considered that?" asks George.
    "When he and I communicated by telegram in July he indicated that he was unaware of Ruby's relation to the man he killed until I informed him of it. If that is the truth, then his apprenticing her was not out of any sense of duty.

Mr. Eastman, putting aside Ruby for the moment, how do I know that he will leave my Mina alone going forward? You say that he just came to say goodbye to Ruby, but he very much interacted with Mina as well."

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    "When he and I communicated by telegram in July he indicated that he was unaware of Ruby's relation to the man he killed until I informed him of it. If that is the truth, then his apprenticing her was not out of any sense of duty.

Mr. Eastman, putting aside Ruby for the moment, how do I know that he will leave my Mina alone going forward? You say that he just came to say goodbye to Ruby, but he very much interacted with Mina as well."
    "When has he ever pestered Mina? Seems like even before your agreement, he left her alone. He merely allowed you to codify his actions. But let me clarify. Gonzales keeps an eye on all his apprentices. He saw that Ruby was in danger, he came to Egypt to save her. He then, in disguise I might add, sought out Ruby to say good bye so as to adhere to the agreement as much as possible. So yes, he interacted with Mina. Perhaps he should have stuck to the letter of the letter of the agreement. Then Ruby and most likely Mina would both be dead. Does that seem a better outcome to you? To be a widower? To fulfill an outdated, antiquated feud, or some ad hoc agreement? You need to see the forest for the trees my friend. Do not become so mired in the past or in some convoluted sense of honor that you can't see what is right, what is needed, what is necessary today.For Mina and for Ruby. Do not let the past ruin your future James. I am only endeavoring not to let your past affect my future. You have no right to impose that on anyone"

Play By Post Games

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast