Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuck you, fuck you all!

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User

Fuck you, fuck you all!

Big Y to eliminate all self checkout kiosks by end of year

SPRINGFIELD - Once hailed as a time and money-saving innovation, self-checkout lanes may be going the way of the cassette tape.

The Springfield-based grocer Big Y announced this week that by the end of the year, all of the self checkout kiosks would be removed from their 58 stores in Massachusetts and Connecticut.

"After extensive research, Big Y has concluded that these self checkout lanes not only do not save their customers time but usually take them even more time to check out than customers in standard checkout lanes," the company said in a statement Wednesday. “Self-checkout lines get clogged as the customers needed to wait for store staff to assist with problems with bar codes, coupons, payment problems and other issues that invariably arise with many transactions."
    That's right, bitches. I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HATES THEM!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Farside View Post
    I opposed self-checkouts early on, not because I don't know how to use them but because I don't think they particularly help things move along so well. But at the place I spend most of my time at now, I am often bemused to see lines of 20+ people lined up at the self-checkouts when cashiers are standing around just feet away actively trying to entice people to check out in their otherwise unused lanes. Some can sometimes be enticed to vacate the STO for the empty lanes, but more people still line up to scan their own groceries even with the long lines. I'll often buy a pack of gum or a paper with prompt and friendly service, while people are stacked a few lanes over trying to figure out produce codes on their own.
    Interesting, I've witnessed the opposite behaviour here. Most people prefer to be served by a cashier and when the STO CS comes over and says some machines are free, some may go but they're generally reluctant. How do I know that they're reluctant? 'cause they groan about it. Just the other day a guy behind me looked at the queue in front of him, looked at the lady asking him to come to the free STO, stood there for a couple of seconds and then said, "Hrm, I guess I have to."

STO's remind me of how companies are always seeking to make a profit whilst making something more attractive to the consumer. They'll make something smaller, charge more for it, and advertise it as somehow being "special". STO's make you do the work, let the company have less staff, and are less convenient for the consumer and yet people lap them up. People are stupid. Except for the ones who didn't bother to learn how to use them because we knew in our hearts that one day they would be obsolete.
    Last edited by Kzach; June 29th, 2014 at 07:47 AM.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Except for the ones who didn't bother to learn how to use them because we knew in our hearts that one day they would be obsolete.
    Now I have even more reason to become mega-rich: Buy up all the worlds groceries and replace all checkouts with self-checkouts.
    I wouldn't even smirk at you.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I propose a drinking game. One swig for every time that Kzach says "Fuck you." We could take bets on who ends up under the table first.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

the sandwich is next! SeatownJay's Avatar
    Province
    In my own mind
    Oratio

Ignore User
    All this tells me is the people that shop at Big Y aren't smart enough to know how to properly utilize the self-checkout.
    space for rent

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Labor must be getting cheaper...
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I find I can usually use a self-checkout lane faster than I a cashier can ring me out, except for taking my payment, which companies seem insistant that I go though a 4 tier menu to select the payment method. They occasionally also get tripped up with getting the bag loaded, though the ones in grocers in my area actually manage to get that working pretty with with a belt.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    I propose a drinking game. One swig for every time that Kzach says "Fuck you." We could take bets on who ends up under the table first.
    Bless you.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Grumpy Old Man
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Farside View Post
    I am often bemused to see lines of 20+ people lined up at the self-checkouts when cashiers are standing around just feet away actively trying to entice people to check out in their otherwise unused lanes.
    Some people are just really, really opposed to interacting with other humans.

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by SeatownJay View Post
    All this tells me is the people that shop at Big Y aren't smart enough to know how to properly utilize the self-checkout.
    Well, we know one person who shops there....
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    That's right, bitches. I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HATES THEM!
    Perhaps not, but you're the only one incapable of using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I use them occasionally. Never really had a problem with them, but I mainly use them when I don't have a lot of stuff.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It's always such a thrill when they actually work as they should.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    That's smart naming for a grocery chain.

Lord knows when I think of "the big Y", I get hungry...

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

Province
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I never liked self checkout. I guess there are some things where I still appreciate the human element. Can't really explain it.
    "What's the fun of being omnipotent if you can't make rocks so big even you can't lift them?" - Vrecknidj

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast