Thread: The Military Industrial Prison Complex

let them eat arugula! Vigilance's Avatar
    Province
    Tampa, Florida
    Oratio

Ignore User

The Military Industrial Prison Complex

a_455_20140506161846.jpg

I agree with this image. Our country is a plutocracy. Who cares about schools and medicine? We have to make things work well for the businessmen and the military. But of course, those kids we won't send to school need to be punished, so gots to spend money on all those prisons and fill them with pot dealers!

It would be enough to make Dwight Eisenhower want to use the highway system for its original purpose.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Someday we the people will rise up again. Maybe. If anyone ever cares enough.

I mean I could do my part, but murdering like at most 10 people* would make a dent in the 1%.

* I figure I might, just might, be able to blitz through 10 of 'em before getting stopped by their lackeys, the upper class... or the upper classes lackeys, the middle class.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilance View Post
    a_455_20140506161846.jpg

I agree with this image. Our country is a plutocracy. Who cares about schools and medicine? We have to make things work well for the businessmen and the military. But of course, those kids we won't send to school need to be punished, so gots to spend money on all those prisons and fill them with pot dealers!

It would be enough to make Dwight Eisenhower want to use the highway system for its original purpose.
    I don't, because the Scandanavian system is based on merit -- it's free if you're good enough to go. The US system let's anyone go, but you have to pay for it. That so many are in debt is because the government makes it easy to go into debt and the system tells you that you must go to college, resulting in people that get easy/useless degrees and pay out the nose for them.

The problem with education isn't who pays, it's that we're allowing kids through without preparing them and then pushing them into colleges. The explosion of X studies programs is a great example of how fucked out current education system is.

Province
    Tampa, Florida
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    I don't, because the Scandanavian system is based on merit -- it's free if you're good enough to go. The US system let's anyone go, but you have to pay for it. That so many are in debt is because the government makes it easy to go into debt and the system tells you that you must go to college, resulting in people that get easy/useless degrees and pay out the nose for them.

The problem with education isn't who pays, it's that we're allowing kids through without preparing them and then pushing them into colleges. The explosion of X studies programs is a great example of how fucked out current education system is.
    It's quite possible for the system to have more than one problem. I agree with what you just said about encouraging people to get useless degrees.

However, part of the reason for that is wrapped up in who pays. Colleges are selling a service. As long as they get paid, they are ok with many people buying snake oil.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilance View Post
    It's quite possible for the system to have more than one problem. I agree with what you just said about encouraging people to get useless degrees.

However, part of the reason for that is wrapped up in who pays. Colleges are selling a service. As long as they get paid, they are ok with many people buying snake oil.
    Yes, which is why this info(?)-graphic is wrong. It's just suggesting that we switch who's responsible for paying for useless degrees from individuals to everyone (or right around half of us). It's imagining a symptom as a problem, and a treatment for that symptom as a cure.

Province
    Tampa, Florida
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Yes, which is why this info(?)-graphic is wrong. It's just suggesting that we switch who's responsible for paying for useless degrees from individuals to everyone (or right around half of us). It's imagining a symptom as a problem, and a treatment for that symptom as a cure.
    Well, one imagine if the government were paying for millions of degrees, they'd have the incentive to run the snake oil salesmen out of business, and the power to do it.

So who pays for it DOES matter.

It's the same issue with our medical system. Prices are skyrocketing because, what are you not going to pay whatever they ask for a new heart, no matter that it instantly crushes you under a mountain of debt?

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Sadly, the government is subsidizing the snake oil that those for profit colleges offer, usually at prices many times that for identical curricula available at local community colleges. I sometimes turn on the tv during the day when I'm working and listen to the array of what I like to call daytime vampire ads. They are agencies waiting to prey on the vulnerable and inexperienced. "Structured settlement? Let us give you a lump sum payment." The General Car insurance. An array of young ethnic individuals praising Western Career College, Carrington College, Wyotech, various technical schools "get up get out get ahead." "Get a degree, get a career." These are basically short term vocational programs that qualify for subsidized student loans, which are underwritten by the taxpayers. Studies have shown that typical students graduate with a mountain of debt (sometimes for a 9 month course of study). The actual jobs in the field have little chance of paying enough to retire that debt.

It's sad, really. Part of the problem is that we don't really produce anything anymore so we have a service economy and most people are not trained for that either. I suspect the push to get young people in college is to allay the stats for unemployment. It continues to be bad, but it's not very pretty politically to have such sustained gloomy numbers. So people are told to go to college instead. At least then, you've managed to warehouse them for 4 years.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."