Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: UN Court Orders Japan to End Whaling as Hunt Is Not Scientific.

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio

Ignore User

UN Court Orders Japan to End Whaling as Hunt Is Not Scientific.

Fuck whaling. Fuck whalers*. Hard. With a red-hot rusty chainsaw.

Sideways.

*Exception for indigenous dudes in little boats subsistence-hunting with handheld harpoons.
    "1 out of 3 Trump supporters is as stupid as the other 2"

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarbonac View Post
    Fuck whalers*. Hard. With a red-hot rusty chainsaw.
    Ditto.

*Exception for indigenous dudes in little boats subsistence-hunting with handheld harpoons.
    Again ditto. I'm fine with hunters who are hunting to survive.

Province
    Somewhere wet and muddy.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Hasn't everyone been telling Japan that for decades? Why are they likely to listen this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    Hasn't everyone been telling Japan that for decades? Why are they likely to listen this time?
    I don't know what kind of problems it causes for your country if you ignore it, but there is a reason they claimed it was for scientific purposes.

Of course, Norway was smarter about it - they formally objected to the anti-whaling laws and thus are not bound by it. Japan didn't do that, for whatever reason (which probably a historian might even know, wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of backroom deal behind it).

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    I don't know what kind of problems it causes for your country if you ignore it, but there is a reason they claimed it was for scientific purposes.

Of course, Norway was smarter about it - they formally objected to the anti-whaling laws and thus are not bound by it. Japan didn't do that, for whatever reason (which probably a historian might even know, wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of backroom deal behind it).
    And fuck Norway. Which also exports whale meat to Japan, and they're probably happy about this ruling so they can use more of that 1286 whale/yr quota they have. See here.
    Last edited by Mistwell; April 2nd, 2014 at 03:18 PM.
    I like hats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    And fuck Norway. Which also exports whale meat to Japan, and they're probably happy about this ruling so they can use more of that 1286 whale/yr quota they have. See here.
    I would expect this too happen, yes. I wonder how big the whaling industry is in Japan and Norway. Is it a major economical factor?

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It's hardly likely if it's been reduced to "scientific" sampling in Japan. Whales seem exceptionally bright, curious and sensitive. We went whale watching off the coast of Gloucester, MA, on the George's bank once. A pair, Mars and her calf, followed the boat for a good half hour. They were playful, diving, making dramatic flourishes with their tails, coming up and swimming around the boat as if they were not only curious, but somehow enjoying the limited interaction with the passengers. They have distinctive markings that allow them to be identified and named. I expect they also have distinct personalities. We saw several other whales, both humpbacks and minkies, that day. Certainly there's other food that could be had on this planet. It's about time we declared hunting this species off limits.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    On the bright side, Japan says it will abide by the ruling:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-conservation/
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I find it hypocritical that whaling is so much worse than other hunting.

I'm ambivalent about the ban - Norway's track record is especially bad if you look back to the early 1900's. On the other hand the whales that are being hunted aren't currently an endangered species. And the rest of the world fucking sucks at sustainable fishing, so why should we listen to you about anything that goes on in the sea?

Bottom line, you're "thinking" with your hearts about this, which leads to oceans empty of fish and full of whales.

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    I find it hypocritical that whaling is so much worse than other hunting.
    If it helps, I find the notion of hunting other more intelligent species of any type to be worse than hunting less intelligent species. I recognize that this is a spectrum rather than a simple "intelligent/nonintelligent" dichotomy, but I do put whales and dolphins pretty high on the smarts ladder.
    Spoiler Alert!

Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    If it helps, I find the notion of hunting other more intelligent species of any type to be worse than hunting less intelligent species. I recognize that this is a spectrum rather than a simple "intelligent/nonintelligent" dichotomy, but I do put whales and dolphins pretty high on the smarts ladder.
    We all know it's about alignment. If whales and dolphins are Evil, then it's not a problem to kill them and use their corpse any way we can imagine. If, however, they are Neutral or Good, then we can't kill them and we can't take their stuff.

Seconded.

I won't eat parrots, octopi, or apes either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Fine, I'll say it because it's obvious -- VK is 100% right

I find the notion of hunting other more intelligent species of any type to be worse than hunting less intelligent species. I recognize that this is a spectrum rather than a simple "intelligent/nonintelligent" dichotomy, but I do put whales and dolphins pretty high on the smarts ladder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid View Post
    Seconded. I won't eat parrots, octopi, or apes either.

Pigs are very intelligent.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    Pigs are very intelligent.
    Pigs are filthy animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I recognize that this is a spectrum rather than a simple "intelligent/nonintelligent" dichotomy, but I do put whales and dolphins pretty high on the smarts ladder.
    I do as well... but fuck the octopi! We need to keep them down, if we let up for a minute we'll all be sucking up to Our New Tentacled Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid View Post
    Seconded.

I won't eat parrots, octopi, or apes either.
    And they'll thank you when they take over the planet and have you under their suckered 'thumbs'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Pigs are filthy animals.
    So are you, but no one is lining up for a slice of your back bacon.

• Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast