Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Eldorian and Mistwell argue about religion.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    In one they demand you read the Bible, in the other they pray you never do.
    Lol. And which is which?

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    So.. you made some shit up and decided to believe in it?
    More like I chose an approach to how to view the world.
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphersmith View Post
    Lol. And which is which?
    The Christian sects (non-Catholic) actually encourage reading the Bible, the difference being which Bible they want you to read... whereas a good deal of Catholic faith is dogmatic, not scripturally based.

Side Note, the poem I posted earlier is from the Parasitology series by Mira Grant. In story it's supposed to be from an unpublished children's storybook.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Vienna
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The Christian sects (non-Catholic) actually encourage reading the Bible, the difference being which Bible they want you to read... whereas a good deal of Catholic faith is dogmatic, not scripturally based.
    That's a trap that Protestants set up for themselves. Jason BeDuhn called this the "burden of the Protestants". Protestantism didn't develop in a vacuum. Their whole doctrine is built on a fully developed Catholic doctrine, given how late it came. As much of Christian belief is not based on scripture, but developed in tradition and the decisions of early Christian councils (the same is true for scripture itself to a large part), the "sola scriptura" doctrine forces Protestants to read meanings into the Bible text that this Bible text doesn't have. Which is one of the reasons why Catholic Bible translations are usually better. Quite ironic actually. That is also the reason for movements like "KJV Only". As so much of Protestantism hinges on the translation and the source text, a tendentious translation has to be defended, or all that "sola scriptura" thought goes down the drain.

One danger of trying to be "true to the word" is to cut off your roots. A mistake both these branches of Christianity made is switch the OT text to fit the Masoretic (Jewish Hebrew) text. Christianity is based on the LXX (Septuaginta), the Greek Old Testament, which had been in use for centuries BC outside of Palestine (only a small part of the Jews actually lived in Palestine in Roman times, and most couldn't speak or understand Hebrew). This leads to silly situations that you won't find one of the central OT quotes in the NT in most Bibles. I'm talking about the one in Acts where the details of the mission to the gentiles is decided, and you won't find the OT quote this is based on in any Bible, be it Catholic or Protestant (except in a footnote), because the Masoretic text is not the one any early Christian used.

For Catholics, that isn't a problem though. It's only the "sola scriptura" doctrine that fails here. So, if you want to be a "true Christian", why not convert to Eastern Orthodoxy?
    Last edited by Turjan; June 21st, 2016 at 04:11 AM.

Side Note, the poem I posted earlier is from the Parasitology series by Mira Grant. In story it's supposed to be from an unpublished children's storybook.
    I don't think you're right there, nb. Unlike the Protestant sects, Catholicism isn't sola scriptura, but I think that you would be surprised about reading the Bible. Among other things, a large portion of a Catholic service is going to be scripture in one form or another. Remember that the traditions of the Catholic Church are from a time when the majority of the people couldn't read. The only way that the people were going to know what was in the Bible would be for their priest to tell them, and that was done through the services. But people aren't discouraged from reading the Bible in the Catholic Church, they just aren't encouraged in the way the Protestant sects are. And the reason is that difference I mentioned above. If scripture isn't the only thing that is holy, then it's not the only important thing in the Church. And I am sure I am getting a lot of this wrong, as I'm not even Catholic. Wish Cheiromancer was still here.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Everything I know about the Catholic Church comes from recovering Catholics. So I'm sure there are some anti-Catholic biases and incorrect information involved.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphersmith View Post
    Lol. Agreed. I cannot understand how Catholic is not Christian.
    Profaner of ISIS!
    America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    Knoxville TN
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Partially correct. Since the Vatican II council reforms in the 60's Catholics have been encouraged to read the Bible and sanctioned translations have finally been released 600 years or so later than everyone else.

The largest difference between most Protestant sects and Catholicism is Catholics reject the Sola Scriptura heresy - that is the notion that the Bible is the only revelation of God, is flawless and literally true. Catholics see the Bible as the beginning of the path of wisdom, but not the end; that the Bible came about through the Church, and not the other way around.

This is why I left the Baptist tradition. For evangelical fundies the Sola Scriptura heresy puts them behind the 8 ball logically. If they allow for even one word of it to be false their whole believe system is shattered, so they'll go through some magnificently tortured lines of logic to try to hold things together.

You don't have to read much of the Bible to see it is a collection of myths, or more politely parables. Genesis Chapter 1 is a creation myth, and Chapter 2 is a creation myth from a separate tradition. In chapter 1 man and woman are created simultaneously, in 2 man then some time later woman.

To a Catholic there's no more need for the stories of the Bible to be true than for any of Jesus' parables to be true. They are object lessons only, not a literal account of history and creation.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My take on the bible is it's a guide on how to treat others with respect and dignity and the realities of what will happen if you don't. All of the stories and basic laws in there are variations on that theme.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    My take on the bible is it's a guide on how to treat others with respect and dignity and the realities of what will happen if you don't. All of the stories and basic laws in there are variations on that theme.

Pretty shitty how-to guide on a guest-right and hospitality (among other things), to be honest.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Pretty shitty how-to guide on a guest-right and hospitality (among other things), to be honest.
    Lol. Well, back then they had to spin really big tales to get the point across.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

• Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678