Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCGD XXX (May 2014) MASSIVE FOOD THREAD

NCGD XXX (May 2014) MASSIVE FOOD THREAD

So it’s time to start actually planning for this actually awesome actual North Carolina Game Day (Campground Edition)! To that end, this thread is for talking about, planning, and otherwise getting all knotty-in-the-forehead about the food we’ll be eating.
    There’s a few precepts I’d like to keep in mind while we discuss this:
    1.) Simplicity. We’re talking about volunteers feeding 64 people three squares a day; this is no time to get fancy. To that end, the menu will probably be quite simple.
    2.) Affordability. Steak is simple as it gets, but it’s also $8/pound, so no steak. We’re shooting for $20/person/day.
    3.) Yumminess. There should be something for everyone*, and everything should be yummy.
    So, with these ideas in mind, I’d like to present a basic structure for the weekend.
    Breakfast
    Breakfast will be essentially the same every day: Eggs, pancakes, toast, breakfast meat (bacon/sausage). If everyone gets too, too sick of that, I could be persuaded to do a sausage gravy with biscuits. But, essentially, the hot breakfast is going to be a dead simple start to an awesome day’s gaming.
    Lunch
    Lunches will generally be pinned between two pieces of bread - picture a spread of affordable cold cuts and cheeses as the default option. We could mix it up with a pulled pork day, this being NC and all; I’ll even go crazy and make some cole slaw that day. But, again, simplicity and ease are the watchwords.
    Dinner
    We’ll go a little crazier for dinner - I plan to have a different menu every night. If our kitchen at the camp has a theme, it’ll be ‘American Classics.’ We’re talking meatloaf, and American style spaghetti, and pizza; Thursday night’ll be hot dogs and hamburgers.
    Sound good? Sound awful? Here’s the place to talk about it. I’d love feedback, especially along a couple of different lines - one, what sides would you like? (Remember: simplicity.) And two, what would the veg crowd like? (I don’t want to stick y’all with green beans and mashed potatoes while everyone else is having a meatloaf feast.)
    Look forward to getting this together - let’s have at it!

* Please note that the meal plan is optional. If you’re a fruititarian, we are unlikely to have enough for you to eat - opt out and bring your own grub. That said, we do plan on offering vegetarian options for every meal.
    Wellll, it's a well-run campaign - midget, and broom, and whatnot.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Oatmeal is cheap, hot, and breakfasty.

I think cereal and fruits will be on hand each morning so that should be an option too.

Thanks a ton for helping to organize this, Scyld. This is a great time to mention that I want to encourage some volunteering to help out with KP. If each person volunteers to help with setup and cleanup for one meal over the course of four days then we're going to be fine. Raise your hands early and often for that. Don't make me twist arms.

By way of setting an example, I'll volunteer to assist on Thursday night's Hamburgerpalooza.
    www.scottmoorecoaching.com

The next CAMP NCGD is on April 27-May1, 2017.

Likeable and Charitable Pielorinho's Avatar
    Province
    by the Right Hand of Cool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'd be delighted to help with a meal--probably can't do much in the way of organizing, but I can chop & cook. Assuming the kitchen has a grill, I could see about getting some good buttermilk pancake batter up & running one morning. Also, you know what's also cheap and hot and tasty, besides your mom? Cheese grits!
    What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'll do dishes Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Pielorinho View Post
    I'd be delighted to help with a meal--probably can't do much in the way of organizing, but I can chop & cook. Assuming the kitchen has a grill, I could see about getting some good buttermilk pancake batter up & running one morning. Also, you know what's also cheap and hot and tasty, besides your mom? Cheese grits!
    Let not your weary heart be troubled with any sort of organizing. Scyld will be handling all of that and generally quarterbacking the kitchen area. He will need some kitchen minions to stir that pot and scrub those pans. That's where the volunteers come in.

Also I vote a strong YES on the concept of cheese grits.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    rel told me to come here to bitch.

what the fuck? no steak? next you are gonna tell me there will be no stone crabs or lobster.

i volunteer to crack the claws of the stone crabs.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    rel told me to come here to bitch.

what the fuck? no steak? next you are gonna tell me there will be no stone crabs or lobster.

i volunteer to crack the claws of the stone crabs.
    BYOB: Bring your own bugs.

As an ovo-lacto veggie (are any other veggies coming?) I eat lots of dairy and eggs to suppliment. So the egg and pancake breakfasts every day sound splendid to me.

Sammiches are likewise great, but it would be great if we had a fixins bar for that stuff of like, lettuce, tomato, etc. so I'm not stuck eating plain cheese. I'm also pretty easy going about that stuff though.

For dinners, I think all but the meatloaf dinner are easy to incorporate veg options into. We could consider making a veg shepherd's pie or something, but if there's only like, one or two vegetarians anyway it probably won't be a big deal assuming we can rustle up some other form of protein. The vegetarian Italian sausages and Kielbasa products are very tasty.

I'm glad to volunteer to help wherever needed. I worked in kitchens quite a bit when I was younger dishwashing, doing prepwork, bussing tables, etc. I'd be glad to help with breakfasts since I doubt I'll be doing much gaming. But anywhere needed is fine. I could certainly help whip up the veggie versions of entrees as well as needed. I make a pretty killer veggie breakfast gravy.
    Last edited by Trillian; December 19th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    < snip >

So many opportunities for snark. So little time.

Oh hey, guyjin's post brings up an important note that Scyld might want to copy and paste into the first post:

We will not be providing snacks, soft drinks, or alcohol. These are things that are so varied as to taste I don't want to even think about having to please everybody. For those flying in, I'll do my best to locate a nearby grocery store so folks can stock up before arriving at the campground.

We most likely will try to provide some mass beverages like iced tea or kool aid. But those supplies may depend on when folks choose to fix them up throughout the day. When in doubt, BYOB.

Scullery minion sounding off!

Scyld, you've taken on a noble task. I'll do whatever I can to assist. A horde of ravenous gamers with empty bellies on a campground foraging expedition is a terrifying thought.

I have a question about logistics though.....

That's a lot of food. What is the storage capacity of the kitchen? How will it get transported to the camp? Or these things we should assume Scyld is handling?

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    As an ovo-lacto veggie (are any other veggies coming?)
    I went off the deep end in July and have gone vegetarian since then (well, pescetarian to be exact), so there will be at least one weirdo there besides you. I'd be more than happy to brainstorm and assist with some meatless alternatives if there are enough of us to warrant anything along those lines.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Rel View Post
    We will not be providing.....alcohol.
    Can you clarify the alcohol rules? IIRC the camp website says it's strictly a no-no. I know at least a couple folks at LokiCon this year were under that impression as well.
    Last edited by loki44; December 19th, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Likeable and Charitable Pielorinho's Avatar
    Province
    by the Right Hand of Cool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    How many dinners are there? Is it Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday? Some smaller portion thereof? Also, how many people will there be?

I'm not crazy about the meatloaf idea, to be honest. One possibility, especially for folks coming from not too far away, would be a lasagne night: if 1 out of every 12 people made a lasagne to bring, that would likely be enough for everyone.

If there's a meatloaf night, it might be possible to make the sides delicious enough to satisfy vegetarians. This mac and cheese is excellent and looks trivially easy to multiply for a large group, and mashed potatoes are a great meatloaf side; couple those with a green vegetable, and that might be a vegetarian-friendly meal (although Trillian, you might get sick of cheese by the end of a week like this).
    What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?

Pie cut the cheese!

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast